Tennis assault

Home Forum Chat Forum Tennis assault

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Tennis assault
  • highclimber

Blatantly wasn’t assault but he’s a knobber nonetheless. he should be fined/banned/both for a short period.

jon1973

yes, not assault, but he deserved what he got.

cynic-al

shouldn’t it be the day of rest for that chip on your shoulder, OP?

Socialite? Poshboy?

WTF have you been smoking?

IanMunro

A quick google would suggest the terms are probably apt.

don simon

yes, not assault, but he deserved what he got.

Why? The poor sod was just sitting there. ๐Ÿ™

IanW

I seem to be on my own with this one but to my mind the Tennis player is pretty unrepentant, more concerned with his own fate and what did he think was going to happen kicking a piece of wood 6 inches in front of a fella.

btw there has never been a non poshboy pro tennis player ever.

don simon

I seem to be on my own with this one but to my mind the Tennis player is pretty unrepentant, more concerned with his own fate

Argentinian, isn’t he? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Junkyard

btw there has never been a non poshboy pro tennis player ever.

Not even the lady ones?
    Obvious troll is obvious etc

IanW
    IanW

Socialite tennis hooligan assaults OAP.

Cant help thinking the linesman should have pointed to the sky then smashed the hoarding over the poshboys head.

linky

Apparently its ok though cos he is a bit overworked.

project

Bet that hurt. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Bit stupid to put an OAP, in a box on the lawn though

jon1973

Why? The poor sod was just sitting there.

๐Ÿ˜†

cynic-al

He does seem a little unrepentant, but the OP’s troll/rant is pretty poor.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

WAtching the coverage was pretty funny though, Sue Barker getting her hysteria on “Someone has been SERIOUSLY INJURED”. I think she described it as HORRIFIC at one point. She wouldn’t last 5 minutes with flat pedals.

Then the chap from the ATP wanders on, looking and talking like he’s reached the pointy end of a very big joint… Yeah man, **** happens…

don simon

Then the chap from the ATP wanders on, looking and talking like he’s reached the pointy end of a very big joint… Yeah man, **** happens…

He was just, like, so cool.
    “er…… no……..What was the question?”
    ๐Ÿ˜†

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Not assault, but not sporting conduct. Fair play for kicking him out. Some more of this firm response to such things in other sports would not go adrift. eh footy people?

jon1973

Argentinian, isn’t he?

Someone in the comments section suggested that was the reason he was disqualified.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Fernando Verdasco’s twitter comment, as quoted by the BBC

“I have never seen anything like it in my life. He wanted to kick the board, not the line judge. It was an accident in my opinion.”

Well that does not tie with my thoughts of what an accident should be judged as – sure he did not directly attempt to hurt the old boy but the consequence was entirely predicable as a result of his actions. It’s a bit like when someone who has not slept for 24hrs falls asleep at the wheel and causes a pile up and its described as an accident on the news. In the heat of the moment he was unable to temper his actions to stop himself doing something likely to harm another. Nasty.

He didn’t do himself many favours afterwards either – not half contrite enough which won’t do his image, that is already of a fiery tempered “spoilt brat” within the tennis world, any favours.

don simon

Someone in the comments section suggested that was the reason he was disqualified.

More of a reference to his arrogance, something that some of the Argentinians I know are quite proud of.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

eh footy people?

I think you’ll find Di Canio got an 11 match ban and ยฃ10,000 fine for provoking Paul Alcock’s comedy over balancing act.

higgo

Bit stupid to put an OAP, in a box on the lawn though

2nd best place for them.
    1st being under the lawn, obviously.

Premier Icon Woody
    Subscriber

but the consequence was entirely predicable as a result of his actions

Absolutely, and the lack of any ‘proper’ contrition compounds the event.

I hope the old boy sues the arse off him but I suspect he’ll do the ‘decent’ thing, accept an apology and dine out on the story for the next few years.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

convert – Member

sure he did not directly attempt to hurt the old boy but the consequence was entirely predicable as a result of his actions.

Were they? I’d not have expected the hoarding to fly apart like that. Hindsight’s always 20/20 but silly to pretend it was predictable IMO.

grum

He broke the rules so it’s fair enough to disqualify him. People do daft stuff in the heat of the moment though – his attempt afterwards to somehow blame the ATP was rather baffling and quite pathetic IMO.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Were they? I’d not have expected the hoarding to fly apart like that. Hindsight’s always 20/20 but silly to pretend it was predictable IMO.

Of course it was! So you would be happy to sit in a chair surrounded by a flimsy bit of plastic a couple if inches in front of you feet and let me take a running full blooded kick in your direction? Would you flinch? Cause you would!

cynic-al

ยฃ40K fine being talked about, I wonder if the line judge will see any of that.

don simon

So you would be happy to sit in a chair surrounded by a flimsy bit of plastic

Firstly, I was quite surprised at how flimsy the signs were, they looked far more robust.
    Secondly, let’s go fo your challenge on one condition, there’s a 100GBP wager on your ability to enitely predict what will be the consequences of your action of kicking the flimsy sign. Anything less and no pay.
    Thirdly, can you email me Wednesday’s Lottery numbers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

I’ll switch that around – would you take a ยฃ1000 wager that if I booted that sign in front of you as hard as I could that you would walk away unscathed? Of course I can’t predict that I’d just cut your leg – I might just follow through and the take out your knee, the bits go up into your face or plain old give you such a shock you have a fart attack. Here’s hoping ๐Ÿ˜‰ I won’t be trying to hurt you honest!

My point is – the likelihood of bad stuff happening if you have a violet outburst inches away from another person is high. I think that is predictable.

And the lottery numbers are ….. %^,$ยฃ,&*….bloody silly iphone keypad…..sorry!

don simon

Did he boot it as hard as he could? You can’t change the specific outcome to a general outcome to suit your argument.

Here’s hoping ๐Ÿ˜‰ I won’t be trying to hurt you honest!

What a bizarre thing to say.

My point is – the likelihood of bad stuff happening if you have a violet outburst inches away from another person is high. I think that is predictable.

*rubs chin to demonstrate doubt.*

steve_b77

Personally I think it was correct to DQ him.

I think his fine should cover the cost of reimbursing the whole crowd as they didn’t get to see what they paid for in the first place due to his childish actions.

It’s Not like he’s going to miss a few grand now is it.

billysugger

He should be banned for 2 lifetimes!!!!

That line judge should go see this guy:

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

What a bizarre thing to say about posh boys!?! Posh boys play real tennis and perhaps fives and rackets leaving us commoners to play (lawn) tennis. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Andy Murray, posh!?

Given ATP is half owned by players the sanction may not be too hard. But if charged with assault then that could be interesting!

xcstu

Blimey hardly an assault!!

Old dude proper milked the tiny graze on his leg.. man up lad!!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

convert – Member

Of course it was! So you would be happy to sit in a chair surrounded by a flimsy bit of plastic a couple if inches in front of you feet

He obviously didn’t think it was a flimsy bit of plastic.

Again it’s about 20/20 hindsight. You know, having seen it, that the hoarding was delicate enough to collapse. Would you have known that before? I think it’s obvious he didn’t, else he wouldn’t have kicked it like that with a bloke say just behind it.

thegreatape

Interesting that some people don’t consider that an assault. What’s the reasoning there?

slimjim78

Doesn’t anyone else here see the red mist during times of sporting stress?

Personally If I were giving 100% as a tennis pro, I would be giving John McEnroe a run for his money with my profanities and outbursts, it just comes naturally and there is almost NOTHING that can be done about it in the heat of the moment.

I do not condone what Nalbandian did, but I definitely understand WHY he did it. Plus, that hoarding should definitely have been able to stand up to that abuse. Its a crap design. What would everyone be saying should one of the players slipped during a rally and crashed into it causing an injury to himself or someone else?
    You would all be doing your nut saying it was a piss poor design of hoarding. Why is advertising that close to the fricking court anyways?
    Nonsense.

Get a grip and enjoy the passion.

grum

Get a grip and enjoy the passion.

Are you arguing he shouldn’t have been punished/DQ’d though?

ernie_lynch

You would all be doing your nut saying it was a piss poor design of hoarding. Why is advertising that close to the fricking court anyways?

I didn’t think it was there for “advertising” purposes, I assumed it was to stop balls rolling under the line judges chair – no ?

If so, why is it a “piss poor design”, it would seem to be up for the job ? Presumably it wasn’t designed to take a hard kick.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Why is advertising that close to the fricking court anyways?

Whilst it’s got advertising on it, it’s not an advertising hoarding. It’s designed to stop stray tennis balls from getting caught under the line judge and having to get fished out and intended to be lightweight to give way under impact in case someone falls on them and not get impaled. In hindsight making them out of a waterproofed card would make more sense. See one in the flesh though and you’d have to be a **** idiot to imagine it would withstand a booting without the person behind getting inflicted.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Tennis assault’ is closed to new replies.