Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tenerife road riding routes?
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

I’m off to Tenerife next week and looking to hire a road bike from Free Motion.
    I’m going to sign up to one of their rides but I’d to get out for some early rides on a few days so I’m after any routes 2-3 hours in length starting in Playa de las Americas.
    Any pointers for rides appreciated.

ElVino

The obvious one really, ride up Tedie as far as you can get in 2.5 hrs and then spend 30mins returning, amazing ride! Get to the top (of the road) from sea level and you will find it hard to get more vertical ascent in a single climb anywhere in Europe.

Potdog
    Free Member

The road out of Las Americas up to Arona can be horribly busy on a morning, so watch yourself. Some crap junctions too as you try to get to the TF51 up from LA at Los Cristianos.

Have a look at the TF28 road too, busy up to as far as Valle San Lorenzo, but then quieter as you head towards San Miguel and Granadilla. It’s a bit more up and down than just climbing as high as you can and then turning around.

Or just ditch the road bike and come out on one of our MTB rides 😉

bforbertie

Quite nice to connect the TF-51 (up towards Vilaflor) with TF-28 as above, which runs parallel to SW coastline. TF-563, TF-21 for example, completing the triangle. Plenty of climbing whichever way you go!

robbie
    Free Member

There is a small quite road from the monkey park at Christianos to la camella. The traffic gets better after La Camella on the way up.
    I have done a few routes around there if you want details my email is roblyall@msn.com
    Ive used bike point twice now and would recomend them for bike hire.

JellyBabyLover
    Free Member

Just in case you get more time/fell super fit … The rides in the northern Anaga penisula are great. Jardina to Chamorga is ace, drop down any of the roads to cute villages if you’ve got your climbing legs. Out west Pick up the Masca climb via a Santiago de Teide to Teno return.

palmer77
    Free Member

The obvious one really, ride up Tedie as far as you can get in 2.5 hrs and then spend 30mins returning, amazing ride! Get to the top (of the road) from sea level and you will find it hard to get more vertical ascent in a single climb anywhere in Europe.

Pica de Veleta, Sierra Nevada, ESP

stumpy01

robbie Member

There is a small quite road from the monkey park at Christianos to la camella. The traffic gets better after La Camella on the way up.

This is the way I went up towards Vilaflor when I was over there a few yrs ago. It’s a small lumpy back road, but didn’t seem to have much traffic on it – I think two cars came past me.

I hired a bike from Bikepoint and went for the cheapest road option which was fine.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, I’ll try the road to La Camella and see how far I can get up Tiede in the time I have, I’m ‘training’ for VeloBirmingham which is on the 12th but on an all-inclusive holiday lol

disco_stu
    Free Member

I managed to get out on the bike for 3 days, longest ride was from Los Christianos to Vilaflor via San Miguel and back to Los Christianos – 17 miles of uphill, one 5.5 mile section took me about 50 minutes, looking on Strava CHris Froome managed it in less than half the time, I was very tempted to get off and walk towards the end!

If I go there again I’d try and arrange a full day out on the bike to see if I could get to Teide.

stanfree
    Free Member

I did 4 rides there a few years back First day was Las Americas to Los Gigantes and back via Chio. Second day was a short ride up to Villafior via grenadilla and back on the little quiet road. Third day was teide via Chio then back via Villa fior and the last day a little spin to El Medano which is very cool and probably the nicest seaside resort on the Island IMO. As has been said any route on of Las Americas is pretty much horrible until you hit the quiet roads. That said I was recently in Lanzarote and it sucks for any form of bike riding it seems.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tenerife road riding routes?’ is closed to new replies.