Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tenerife Climbing
  • Dales_rider
    Free Member

Going there next Friday never climbed there before anyone been ? What’s the grading like and where are the best spots ?

Gribs

It’s quite a few years since I went but we spent most of our time in Arico Gorge and one day on a crag halfway up Teide. Grading seemed fairly normal, other than seeming to take no account of jamming. I did a 7a+ that was a fairly straight forward vertical hand jamming crack that’d be at most 5a over here.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Staying close to the gorge, so will aim to climb all the routes with cracks. Should up my grade considerabley

timb34
    Free Member

Been a while but Arico was really good, lots of easier shorter things in the upper gorge and longer harder stuff in the lower, I don’t remember many cracks though – mostly pockets and edges up steep slabs/walls.

Las Canadas is also really good. The routes aren’t as high quality as Arico, but it’s an amazing place. The crag looks like dodgy piled up mud but it’s iron-hard lava. You might feel the altitude though, it took us a couple of visits to get used to it (staying at sea level). Mind your bags and cars, it’s more touristy than around Arico so can be “visited”.

El Catedral is supposed to be good for multipitch routes, but I think there might be some access restrictions (maybe not though).

We also visited a couple of smaller crags, which were OK for a change but a bit scrappy and limited compared to Arico/Canadas.

Have fun, enjoy the warm sea and drink Ron-Miel

hammyuk
    Free Member

There are literally hundreds of areas to climb – too many to list here.
    Arico is solid, Las Fuentes has been developed lots over the last ten years (but local knowledge is needed to find them 😉 …..), the Anaga mountains are heavily routed too.
    El Catedral nasa number of multi pitch on there – best left unless you have a local with you though as there are some soft sections. Also certain areas are protected and off limits unless you are a member of the Federacion de montaña Tenerfeña.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up, only have 6 days there but will visit les canadas it sounds good.

Potdog
    Free Member

Make contact with Nick at tenerifeoutdoor.com they have a shop in Granadilla and have details of all the locations and gradings etc. They also hire all the kit out. But the area above Arico (Ortiz) does seem popular when I ride past.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Thanks for that Potdog

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Potdog – Member

Make contact with Nick at tenerifeoutdoor.com they have a shop in Granadilla and have details of all the locations and gradings etc. They also hire all the kit out. But the area above Arico (Ortiz) does seem popular when I ride past.

Did do and the shop a good source for info, pointed to a newly developed gorge above Grandilla near cruz de tea

The one day of rain didnt spoil the trip we got above the clouds

hammyuk
    Free Member

I hope you stopped at the busteada at Cruz de Tea!
    The best Costillas and Carne de Cabra there is 😉

Dales_rider
    Free Member

hammyuk – Member

I hope you stopped at the busteada at Cruz de Tea!
    The best Costillas and Carne de Cabra there is

Sadly no, but did try a few other spots

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tenerife Climbing’ is closed to new replies.