Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tendon issues in the foot…. recovery tips?
  • metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve been suffering from tendon issues in my foot which has dramatically curtailed my exercise of late. It started with what felt like something just needed to click back into place but developed over 2-3 weeks into real pain and a very fetching limp*.

I went to the dr who said tendonitis (but possibly stress fracture, been xrayed so that unlikely). Told me rest, ice, elevation 2-4 weeks. This was 3-4 weeks ago now…

It is gradually getting better but I really don’t want to aggravate it again. If I jar it I get a sharp intense pain…

Any tips for recovery?

*spoiler alert: I lied, it’s not actually fetching…

bsims
    Free Member

My tendonitis has taken around 8-10 weeks (can’t remember exactly) to heal although it still hurts if I kick a football. Mine was complicated by a tear in the tibialis muscle that wasn’t diagnosed for 4-5 weeks.

The only thing I can add is nothing strenuous but start exercising, ankle rotations, calf stretches on the edge of a step and heel raises. Then start using lightweights and build the load. most importantly nothing that jars it – no shock absorbing duties.

good luck hope it heals soon.

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks @bsims, I was thinking I need to start doing something.

Problem is that it manifested itself from just walking (although the crunch was a couple of laps of the ‘puffer). But that makes sense.

Avoiding jarring, yeah, I was already doing that 🤣

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bsims
    Free Member

have you found avoiding the jarring is harder to do than you think?

metalheart
    Free Member

I rode a 30-40mm curb drop, I stood up because, well, it was natural. Man, the pain was intense. I ve managed not to do that again!

I had to shuffle run across the road the other day, I could feel it.

So, I’m learning 😂

bsims
    Free Member

I found just walking up the stairs was very painful.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Calf stretching and strengthening helped me, with rest too.

metalheart
    Free Member

Cheers s_f

bruceonabike
    Free Member

How old are you OP?
    Age makes a big difference in recovery time. I’m 54 and overstretched my arch by treading on a root whilst out on a run and had to limp a couple of miles home. The nurse in MIU diagnosed Plantar Fasciitis which took a full four weeks of doing nothing but ice and elevation before I could even walk without pain. 8 weeks later I’m back to 5k 3 or 4 times a week. Rest then build slowly. All the best.

bsims
    Free Member

One other thing, when the swelling has gone down don’t do up your shoes too tight. This can trap the tendon which stresses it when you walk.

metalheart
    Free Member

@boab: funnily enough, I’m also 54.

@bsims
    : again, I’d worked. This out, oh about 3 weeks ago. One pair of shoes I don’t wear at the moment as they are quite close fitting in the wrong place… 😂

bsims
    Free Member

Keep it in mind ’till Christmas. I noticed it this afternoon when we went for a longish walk.

stevextc
    Free Member

Wow … Jun 1st something went crunch or so in my foot just landing a drop. I could keep riding no prob. (And finished the day at revs)
    A bit sore on and off but nothing bad enough to stop me walking but got a bit sore with flippers on the hols .. nothing bad though just feels like it needed a ‘click’

Then after doing bugger all Sat went to bed and it felt tender … woke up Sun morning and couldn’t put weight on it and all puffed up.

Went to minor injuries yesterday… no fresh looking fractures so probably soft tissue damage (but nurse said Consultant would take a look during the week) then woke up this morning and it’s mostly fine, slightly tender but mostly feels like it needs a ‘click’ ?

A bit stumped though glad it’s working

globalti
    Free Member

Lifelong tendonitis sufferer here… I even gave myself tendonitis of the Achilles tendon in the first week of a 15 week stint as a walking leader for Ramblers Holidays in the Alps, which was well before Ibuprofen was widely sold. In those days the hotel manager advised me to lace my boots less tight and keep the leather supple by applying lard every day, which worked. It takes a few weeks for the pain to subside but it will go eventually, rubbing ibuprofen gel on helps.

footflaps

See a physio…

Tendons generally need exercise to recover, the trick is to find an exercise routine which doesn’t aggravate it much, say a pain score or 2 or less out of 10 during the exercise and stop if it makes it worse the next day.

There is some evidence that eccentric exercise (muscle lengthening) is best for recovery (I generally use this, but the eccentric vs concentric vs isometric argument is inconclusive). If you can’t find a low pain eccentric exercise, try isometric (no change in muscle length) eg resisting a pull on a towel.

NB I’m currently rehabing an Achilles tendon issue which is responding well to eccentric calf lowers, 3 sets of 12 per leg per day.

ton

I have a problem I suffer from now.
    since I had my ankle fusion, my ankle don’t move, so my calf muscles never get stretched or tensed.
    and the same with the tendons under my foot.
    the problem is that the tendons spasm and kind of lock, so I feel like I need to stretch them to release them.
    it is a horrible sharp stabbing pain in my foot that can last for ages.

bsims
    Free Member

I’ve found for my tibialis anterior tendonitis that pedalling with flats does not hurt it because of the pushing motion. Walking fast still hurts which must the the lifting of the foot and the shock of the foot going down on the floor. Also that same lifting motion going up stairs.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tendon issues in the foot…. recovery tips?’ is closed to new replies.