Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tempted by this Fat Bike deal! Thoughts?
  • timc
    Free Member

Been looking at & admiring a few fat bikes in the lbs recently, open minded to its benefits living by the coast with lots of sandy woodland to explore, anyway I noticed this deal at winstanleys…

Genesis Caribou 2015 for £800 (black Friday deal) Genesis Caribou

Any experienced Fat bikers think that’s a good deal? Better to be had? The few reviews seem to be positive, very tempting 🙂

Andy

Yeah that looks a really good deal. I haven’t ridden one though. Comparible to the On One Fatty on price, but the Caribou looks a much better spec on paper; particularly pre drilled rims, Raceface chainset, decent shimano drivetrain, whereas the Fatty looks a bit mean on the parts. Looks a very similar geo to my Salsa Mukluk. 1 x 10 so you might want to fit a 40t to the rear which might mean a new cassette, as the places where you would want to ride a fat bike lend themselves to lower gearing

Might be worth checking this as well but may not be stock around.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was talking to the manager of one of our other shops the other day, and he’d just sold one, and has a Charge Cooker Maxi on the shop floor, he’s ridden both…..
    He preferred the Charge, saying the Genesis ‘flopped into corners’, although he did say it could have been down to the better tyres on the Charge. I’d love a fatty, and I can get a silly discount on the Genesis, but I think there’s better for the money:
    I’d be looking at a Silverback Double Scoop if I were you (If you can wait)
    Cheaper and better spec…..
    http://localbikeshop.bike/double-scoop?search=scoop

dudeofdoom

I’ve only ridden the On-one fatty but I’d bet that its frame geo makes a hell of a difference in comparison to other Fatbikes on paper spec…..

I think the on-one fattys like a large BMX and loves to be thrown around, its definitely not just a beach cruiser.
    (BMX track’s just mental fun and trail centres are great).

If I had to have one bike I think the on-one fatty would be a contender..

scotroutes

You’ve only ridden the On One but it is the better option?

OP, the Caribou is lovely and you’ll have a good spec bike from the off. Most On One owners seem to want a better range of gears, brakes that work and hubs and BB that don’t disintegrate in short order.

Andy

And I think that’s the problem Scotroutes. Not many have back to back tested the Genesis/Charge/Fatty/Double Scoop over any real distance to really be able to form an opinion. Some haven’t done any distance on a fatbike. I’ve done 700 miles on my Mukluk this year but have no idea how the other bikes ride so difficult to advise the OP. But at £800 I think that Genesis is good value.

drovercycles
    Free Member

We had one in as a demo bike for a while recently. It’s well-specced and a very nice bike – for that money, a bargain.

dudeofdoom

Hmmm didn’t say its the better option – so no need to go all Anti On-One on me 🙂

just paper specs don’t mean jack if the bike rides shite….

scotroutes

just paper specs don’t mean jack if the bike rides shite….

neither do some numbers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I rode a Cooker Maxi today. I’m buying it tomorrow. 🙂

singlesteed
    Free Member

Am I missing something, a thousand English pounds for a heavy rigid bike is no deal in my books or should be in anyone’s!

End of!

rOcKeTdOg

OP, the Caribou is lovely

looks great, i didn’t like the ride though

scotroutes

Yes

BlobOnAStick

Hey RD

What other fatbikes did you test ride? Also, what other bikes have you ridden and rated (so I know what your preferences are….)

Ta.

singlesteed
    Free Member

The only one I like look of is that titanium custom one from overseas and Salsa’ bucksaw but that would weigh more than me and that’s saying something.

Suppose I could DH it all the way?…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Am I missing something, a thousand English pounds for a heavy rigid bike is no deal in my books or should be in anyone’s!

Well, not long ago I would have agreed with you. I rode one (Surly) a few years ago and wasn’t impressed.
    But, well…. Why not scratch the itch….?
    Plus I can get one silly cheap as I work in a bike shop.

tomhoward

The only one I like look of is that titanium custom one from overseas and Salsa’ bucksaw but that would weigh more than me and that’s saying something.
    Suppose I could DH it all the way?…

A bucksaw is 33lbs. But you knew that.

rOcKeTdOg

BlobOnAStick – Member

Hey RD

What other fatbikes did you test ride? Also, what other bikes have you ridden and rated (so I know what your preferences are….)

not sure if you’re taking the piss but, salsa mukluk, beargrease, Kona Wo, Genesis caribou, surly pugsley, On one Fatty and a few half fats if they count, Jones etc Im not professing to be an expert though, I just know what works for me. I’m riding an On One fatty at the moment, more to the deal i got it for than a particular desire to choose that one, but it does ride on my local trails very well

singlesteed
    Free Member

No actually, I didn’t know that! But ta!

Why does everyone who comment in such a manner always assume…?
    Seems to be a trend on here.
    🙄

BlobOnAStick

No! No pisstake! Honest!

BlobOnAStick

You’re in the Lickey/Kinver/Wyre riding locale aren’t you?

I’m in Worcester…..

brant
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    I rode a Cooker Maxi today. I’m buying it tomorrow.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

But even if the Fatty gave free blow jobs, you’d not have bought that.

BlobOnAStick

Free bj? Hmmm…..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tempted by this Fat Bike deal! Thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.