• This topic has 94 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Tempted by iPhone 13 Pro…. cheating on Samsung?
  • grum
    Free Member

AFAIK Google don’t have a track record of genocide and killing swathes of their own population.

This would be the same Google that were developing a censored search engine for said despotic regime, and only stopped due to outcry from their staff and human rights organisations, and who haven’t ruled out doing similar in future. Or a different Google?

I’m sure your phone is very nice though, well done.

Ooh get you!

grum
    Free Member

Interesting read on phones and privacy/data etc – https://www.nextpit.com/how-well-do-samsung-xiaomi-and-oppo-protect-your-privacy

tl;dr – Apple is significantly better than Android, all Android phones are really quite bad for privacy

Kryton57

Maybe I’m getting old, but I did some surfing and gee whizz, trying to interpret the “best*” phone from any manufacturer is a nightmare, with various versions of various ranges available.

I was quite interested in the Android One link, but which Nokia is the right one, and where are the prices?

Perhaps this is where Apple helps a little, the higher the number the better an newer the phone, with only about 3 variants all based on screen size, an easy pick.

*best according to ones own criteria.

allanoleary
    Free Member

Music, Internet and Sat Nav use may well end up being my deciding factors. Downsides to Apple at the mo are Google Maps apparently doesn’t work as well (might have changed now) and no Poweramp app so would need to either use Apple music or find a new more customisable app for my owned albums. Kinda swings the balance back to the Samsung S20 or S21 (512gb version).

a11y

I was quite interested in the Android One link, but which Nokia is the right one, and where are the prices?

I’ve been an iOS user for probably 15 years or so, and bought a Nokia 3.2 handset (£79) running Android One a couple of years ago. Mainly to use on the bike for navigation/Trailforks etc, but also just to see if I could get used to Android again after years of Apple. It’s perfect for bike use but (for me) isn’t a replacement for my iPhone 8 – its clunkier, slower to respond and generally frustrating at time, although some of that will be my unfamiliarity of Android compared to iOS.

For the OP, could an alternative be a standalone music player in addition to your current mobile? Not necessarily an iPod: https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/portable/best-portable-music-players

allanoleary
    Free Member

For the OP, could an alternative be a standalone music player in addition to your current mobile? Not necessarily an iPod:

That unfortunately doubles the number of devices I have to carry/use. I plug the phone into the car via aux lead at the mo and have both music and sat nav directions (when needed) come through the speakers. Having a separate music player means the music volume isn’t lowered when directions are coming through.

b33k34

@timmys

£6 a month for my SIM

Link please – I’ve just dropped my EE contract to a sim-only and I’m paying, I think, £20 a month. Obviously I need to shop around….

but seconded on your maths. The residual values are what make Apple devices nearly always better value than the competition.

molgrips
    Free Member

In Milton Keynes there is no 5G coverage and on a busy day it’s virtually impossible to even connect to the Internet, let alone download or stream. No phone will improve that

Well, it might actually, but a change of network probably would.

mogrim

That unfortunately doubles the number of devices I have to carry/use. I plug the phone into the car via aux lead at the mo and have both music and sat nav directions (when needed) come through the speakers.

Don’t forget none of the newer iPhones or top Galaxy models have a headphone socket. But you could do a lot worse than getting a Samsung A72, if this is something that you need. I’ve just switched from an A70 to a S21, as I wanted waterproofing and a smaller size as it’s better for when I’m out running. Otherwise I was pretty happy with the phone – it’s not quite as slick as the S21, but that’s not really noticeable in day-to-day use. It did feel a bit more plastic, but once you’ve got a cover on it again you won’t notice it. And the battery life was great, easily got two days use out of it.

timmys

Link please – I’ve just dropped my EE contract to a sim-only and I’m paying, I think, £20 a month. Obviously I need to shop around….

That is iD mobile (uses Three network). For my £6 I get unlimited calls/texts and 3 Gb data (which very usefully rolls over unused to the next month) at a glance it looks at though you might get 4 Gb currently. This is a one month rolling SIM only contract. They are one of the few virtual networks that support WiFi calling which was vital to me. Currently still have free EU roaming, but I am sure it is only a matter of time till that goes.

If you want to stick with an operator that uses the EE network, then here is the full list;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators

mmannerr

Don’t forget none of the newer iPhones or top Galaxy models have a headphone socket

True but there are cheap adapters for iPhones and Androids which allow using headphones and aux cables. Also available with power if needed. And yes, it is step backwards but not a show stopper.

nickc

Don’t forget none of the newer iPhones or top Galaxy models have a headphone socket

Bluetooth headphones are joyous to use.

Cougar

Oddly enough, Nokia’s website.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/compare

I got a Nokia two or three years ago. It’s not perfect – notably the camera is toilet and it bizarrely doesn’t support adopted storage – but other than that for £200 it’s been faultless.

The point of the Android One programme is that it’s as close to a First Party experience as you’ll get. Ie, no shit foisterware (I’m looking at you, Samsung) and guaranteed updates for at least two years (I’m looking at you, Sony).

Look at Smarty. I’ve not found anything that beats them (including timmys’ link, 4GB on Smarty for £6 vs iD’s 3GB), I was about to jump ship after being on an O2 contract since the 1990s until lockdown happened and a generous data plan was suddenly less important.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Have a look at sky for sim only.

Currently £6 for 3gb, you can change the plan anytime if you need more data.
    The unused data rolls over for 3 years and you can transfer data each month from another sky sim.

I had 12gb data before lockdown but have now reduced my plan to 2gb data and just add more when I need it from a ‘piggybank’ of unused data.

RustySpanner

Bluetooth headphones are joyous to use.

Until they run out of power.
    Or you want to play something on an older HiFi without Bluetooth.
    Or your Bluetooth drivers on your PC mysteriously disappear, like they have done today.

Just put the bloody socket back!

Samsung A series seem to be the sweet spot atm. Memory card, headphone socket etc.

nickc

Until they run out of power.
    Or you want to play something on an older HiFi without Bluetooth.
    Or your Bluetooth drivers on your PC mysteriously disappear, like they have done today.

Err charge them? Don’t have that issue, everything I want to listen to on headphones is on my phone, that last one is weird though, what a PITA!!

(semi) Seriously though wandering about doing various stuff while listening to Spotify while the phone’s sitting on the counter top in the kitchen…What a time to alive!!

RustySpanner

Yeah, they’re great.

But if I’m camping or touring they’re just another thing that needs charging.

And my point about using the socket as a line out is valid.

Just include the bloody socket, it’s harming no one 🙃

molgrips
    Free Member

Just put the bloody socket back!

You can get a dongle that plugs into the USB-C port that does what you want. Only problem is then you cannot charge the phone and listen at the same time.

Just include the bloody socket, it’s harming no one

Not sure you understand how difficult it is to cram everything into a phone these days 🙂

nickc

But if I’m camping or touring they’re just another thing that needs charging.

Yeah, tru dat.

mmannerr

Just buy the adapter and be done with it 🙂 I rather have waterproof phone than the 3.5mm socket.
    Apple 3.5mm adapters have been surprisingly good in audiophile reviews:
    https://www.audioreviews.org/apple-audio-adapter-review/

dannybgoode

Have Apple stopped including the headphones that come with a lightning plug already on them? Certainly the last few I have bought have them in the box.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You can listen to wired headphones simple enough while charging either by using a wireless charger or a 2 to 1 lightning or usb C port. Maybe not as convenient as just plugging a socked in but the benefit of not having that socket outweigh the minor additional complication of listening to music while you’re charging the phone…especially while there several different ways you can achieve this.

b33k34

You can get a dongle that plugs into the USB-C port that does what you want. Only problem is then you cannot charge the phone and listen at the same time.

You can get adaptors that give you a charge port AND a headphone/line out socket.

RustySpanner

Just buy the adapter and be done with it 🙂 I rather have waterproof phone than the 3.5mm socket.

Shan’t.
    I’ll just buy a cheaper phone instead.
    And I’ve had several waterproof phones with headphone sockets.

Maybe not as convenient as just plugging a socked in but the benefit of not having that socket outweigh the minor additional complication of listening to music while you’re charging the phone…

What’s the benefit of not having the socket?
    Genuinely interested, not being arsey.

oldtennisshoes

What’s the benefit of not having the socket?

Cheaper to build, fewer mechanical bits to go wrong.

w00dster

Over here in my area of MK Three mobile works really well. I have unlimited mobile browsing and very rarely do I not have a very good signal.
    However, in London at the weekend it was appalling! Three Mobile used to be really good in Central London, not sure why it was so poor (wasn’t just my phone, all 4
    Of the family on the same network had problems).
    My contract is up soon, I’ll stay with Apple just because the family are trapped into the ecosystem.

RustySpanner

Cheaper to build, fewer mechanical bits to go wrong.

That’s not a benefit to me!
    Never had a problem that couldn’t be solved by contact cleaner.
    It’s a retrograde step.

Pieface

Yesterday I swapped my Samsung to an iPhone, it probably takes an hour or so to transfer everything over (there’s a ‘Transfer to iOS app’) and re-signing in to everything but its mostly ok, there’s hints and tips for how to do things but its mostly been Ok, there’s the usual mix of stuff that’s better on iPhone / better on Android but I’m going to stick my neck out and say its a relatively straightforward process.

oldtennisshoes

That’s not a benefit to me!
    Never had a problem that couldn’t be solved by contact cleaner.
    It’s a retrograde step.

Might be a benefit if the phone is cheaper or lasts longer as a result.
    It’s difficult though because we all value things differently.

timmys

Have Apple stopped including the headphones that come with a lightning plug already on them?

Yes you literally get a phone and a lightning to USB-C cable in the box (not even a charger). All about the environment innit. The 13’s coming this week don’t even have plastic shrink wrap on the boxes apparently.

mogrim

Can’t imagine there’s that much difference to either price or reliability, I suspect the main reason is the one @molgrips mentioned: there’s not much space in a phone, and a headphone jack is a relatively large component.

Ok, there’s the usual mix of stuff that’s better on iPhone / better on Android but I’m going to stick my neck out and say its a relatively straightforward process.

That was my experience – I came down on the Android side, but there wasn’t much in it, and changing from one to the other was pretty painless.

mogrim

Yes you literally get a phone and a lightning to USB-C cable in the box (not even a charger). All about the environment innit. The 13’s coming this week don’t even have plastic shrink wrap on the boxes apparently.

Same with Samsungs, or at least my S21 came with exactly one USB-C to USB-C cable, which is close to f-all use as most of the chargers I’ve got lying around are USB-A. No shrink wrap, either.

oldtennisshoes

Can’t imagine there’s that much difference to either price or reliability, I suspect the main reason is the one @molgrips mentioned: there’s not much space in a phone, and a headphone jack is a relatively large component.

Price and reliability is dependent on design, therefore including it is going to increase the price and (possibly) reduce the reliability. Probably by only a small amount, but marginal gains and all that.

Kryton57

The ability to join a FaceTime call just became available on Androids.

Just saying.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good there’s a wide range of choice of manufacturer and lots of Androids are available with headphone sockets. And with Apple.. no wait, it’s tough shit for you!

dannybgoode

It’s all a bit clunky though and calls have to be scheduled and links shared.

For video calls between Android and Apple I just use WhatsApp video.

allanoleary
    Free Member

Just saying.

I never, EVER, use any video calling system as I despise cameras being pointed at me and hate holding my phone in front of me to talk. That’s one feature on my next phone that really doesn’t matter to me in the slightest. The screen cut away to fit the camera in however…. that’s a different matter. It’s one thing that is putting me off the iPhone.

5lab

Op: the s21 Fe might keep the SD slot. I’ve am S20 Fe (might be an option?) And it still has one, I think the s21 Fe is our in a month or 2

Kryton57

I never, EVER, use any video calling system as I despise cameras being pointed at me and hate holding my phone in front of me to talk. That’s one feature on my next phone that really doesn’t matter to me in the slightest.

They didn’t build it just for you though.

nickc

no wait, it’s tough shit for you!

You know I  thought it was going to be a PITA not having a phone jack, but I think maybe once I’ve really needed it…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Tempted by iPhone 13 Pro…. cheating on Samsung?’ is closed to new replies.