Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Tempest – Road and Off Road set up
  • ojays
    Free Member

Looking for some suggestions on how to best use my Mk3 Planet X Tempest as a road and off road bike.

I just sold my road bike, which was a proper race bike (Izalco Max) and I found it too long and low to ride comfortably. I would likely have adapted to it but I don’t ride road more than maybe weekly any more in the better weather and very rarely in winter now.

So I was considering buying something more upright and comfy like to replace it, but then thought maybe I should just spend some money on my Tempest and get some spare wheels for it so I can use that both off and on road, especially with the lack of new bikes available now and lack of deals on them.

So what might be a some good changes to make to it. It’s essentially the stock Tempest with Rival 1 (heavy 11-42 cassette)but running on 27.5 wheels with WTB Sendero tyres. So pretty much off road focussed and it runs great for this.

I would want the least compromise possible so was thinking of shedding some weight from the stock finishing kit and then tweaking or changing the groupset and getting a spare 700cc Wheelset with rotors and cassette and road 28/30mm tyres to make switching quick.

Any recommendations for getting the groupset to work best for both applications and for shedding some timber in the process?

Budget wise I could muster £600/£700 plus whatever I get for parts swapped out.

Cheers

Vortexracing

I don’t have a Tempest, but what I do to my Tripster is

Road
    Hope 25 wheels with tubeless S one 30mm tyres with a 32 cassette
    PDW Guards
    Tubus Airy rack
    Shimano Road pedals

Off Road
    Remove guard and rack
    Change wheels to Hope/Stans Iron cross with WTB 40mm Nano and a 36 cassette
    Boardman SPD pedals
    Raise the stem by 15mm

works a treat for me

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Tempest – Road and Off Road set up’ is closed to new replies.