• This topic has 25 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by jivko.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Temperature loggers
  • whitestone
    Free Member

OK hive mind …

I’m after a lightweight, as in need to be able to carry it on a bike, thermometer/temperature logger so not the full weather station type devices. Relative Humidity would be nice but not essential.

General requirements are:

Decent temperature range, probably no less than -40C to 40C
    Configurable logging period. Not after every second but maybe 5mins to 30mins
    Don’t mind if it needs an app to configure or is done on device.
    Easy data retrieval so I can load into a spreadsheet, I don’t want to be locked into another ecosystem
    Battery can be replaceable or USB chargeable.
    Ability to record data for a day or two at a time depending on logging period of course.

I’m sure there are other points I’ve not considered because I likely don’t know what I need to ask. Price wise, I suppose £50 would be tops but if there was something all-singing, all dancing above that I’d consider it.

scotroutes

I have a Garmin Tempe. Only gives temperature though. Logs as long as you’re recording track. Not sure about extracting data but it’s in the normal Garmin gpx file, so it’s just a KML extraction you need.

mogrim

Raspberry PI in a box with a USB power cell?

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a Tempe but I’m not sure it’s a logger unless I parse the GPX file for the data. It also means leaving the GPS running overnight so I’m after something standalone.

piesoup
    Free Member

Lascar USB

I have one of these. You set it up on the PC, set the time you want to start the data logging, then it starts automatically for the set time. Configurable frequency etc. Exports to Excel or spreadsheet of your choice.

I do not need it any more as it’s done it’s one and only job for me… PM if you’re interested!

jamiea
    Free Member

Raspberry PI in a box with a USB power cell?

In almost all cases when someone mentions using a RPi, a microcontroller based solution is far more appropriate…

mogrim

In almost all cases when someone mentions using a RPi, a microcontroller based solution is far more appropriate…

Yeah, but RPi is what I’ve got sitting next to me and came to mind first 🙂

munkeymadness
    Free Member

Bought one of these for greenhouse from Amazon £13. Would do the job perfectly. Logs temp every 10 sec I think and then downloads by BT to app on phone. Works well so far temp and humidity
    Brifit Wireless Thermometer Hygrometer, Bluetooth 5.0 Humidity Temperature Sensor with with Screen, Data Export and Alarm Function for iOS Android, for Baby Room, Guitar Case, Wine Cellar, Christmas

ssboggy

This is the sort of thing you’re after but its a bit over budget, might be other companies that do something a bit cheaper Temperature Loggers

geomickb
    Free Member

@munkeymadness

That looks great, can anyone see a similar one for outdoor use?

whitestone
    Free Member

@monkeymadness – link? I don’t see anything.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Isn’t this a common feature on GPS computers? Lezynes do it, albeit with a bit of lag, my ~60min pootle yesterday afternoon was in -1C.

oldtennisshoes

whitestone
    Free Member

Noddy – yes, my Garmin 520 does record temperature but I’m wanting it for overnight when I don’t want to be running my GPS.

@oldtennisshoes
    – that link takes me to a kindle page with “Sorry this preview is unavailable”

@monkeymadness – did a search, that Brifit doesn’t go low enough, only to -20C.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Fair enough Big Ears. 😉

eskay

I have used these in the past, you need to buy an adaptor to read/setup:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/temperature-sensors-humidity-sensors/1897731/

uniqueusername

did a search, that Brifit doesn’t go low enough, only to -20C

Where the hell are you taking it? Not UK based I guess.

yetidave
    Free Member

Lezynes do it

but badly. got a new Macro for Christmas, and set off a few days ago where all indications (various other thermometer, weather forcast etc) all said -5, my gps was reading +1. So i got out my old gps, ran them next to each other, one says -4 the other says +2. Waiting on a comment back from lezyne.

Ewan
    Free Member

whitestone
    Free Member

@Ewan – could you provide links that actually work please? That just comes up in my browser as the kindle preview error message again.

@uniqueusername
    – the arctic potentially. Something that both here and in that environment I can record overnight temps when I’m camping.

Ewan
    Free Member

That’s weird – i posted it from my computer and don’t own a kindle!

Huh. Edit – It’s done it again. Forum being weird!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Wireless-Bluetooth-Hygrometer-Thermometer/dp/B07748V35X

pjm60
    Free Member

Arduino + DHT22 + SD module + SD card + battery = ~£25

piesoup
    Free Member

I’ll happily send you mine if you can send me an SAE…

jivko
    Free Member

I’ve got two of these and am very happy with them
    Elitech RC-4
    You need a PC to set them up and read the data

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Temperature loggers’ is closed to new replies.