• This topic has 35 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Telly: World Drama chat
  • cinnamon_girl

Thought it would be a good idea to resurrect this and have discussions with the chattering classes of SingleTrackTellyWorld.

Some of my thoughts:

I Know Who You Are the Spanish thriller that returned for a second series. Both series now available on i-Player:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08yrc3v

First series kept up a thundering pace but you had to pay attention cos the double bill lasted for around 2.1/2 hours each week. The second series saw me losing interest partly due to a short attention span and partly due to it just getting a bit, well, silly.

Acquitted a Norwegian thriller that also returned for a second series. Amazing snowy scenery and plenty of action made this an enjoyable watch, definitely left open for a further series.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/acquitted

Norskov is set in industrial Denmark and has a good plot.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/norskov

Bang is a Welsh drama where only the Welsh language is spoken although there are subtitles. Enjoyed this series and hope it returns for a second.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p05gp0tr

Un Bore Mercher is another and currently running where only the Welsh language is spoken, with subtitles fortunately. Two episodes available so far but is looking promising.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05kp334

Leviathan is an award winning one-off drama set in Russia and runs for 140 minutes. Disappointing but quite an insight into how things are done in that country … and how much alcohol is drunk too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04y5dh0

Burning Bush is a Czechoslovakian drama set in 1969, next on my list. 3 episodes.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/burning-bush

Mammon another Norwegian drama that runs to two series. Watched a couple of episodes but became bored.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/mammon/episode-guide

Next Saturday on BBC4 sees a new French series called Witnesses featuring Josephine Karlsson, the lawyer from Spiral. Apparently the first series had been on Channel 4 but doesn’t seem to be available on catch up.

hodgynd
    Free Member

No link to it ..but the best cop drama series I have watched was ‘Braquo ‘..French on the Canal+ tv channel ..with subtitles.
    It’s available as a box set on Sky ..

bikebouy
    Free Member

I thought Tin Star was blooming excellent. Can be found on catchup now.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the suggestions but don’t have Sky!

wallop

Yep, no Sky for me either. Just All4, iPlayer, Netflix and Amazon.

I really enjoyed Acquitted. Swingers also worth a mention, and not forgetting one of my faves – Dicte. All on All4.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah, soz. Thought everyone had Sky..
    There have been some crackers on Sky Atlantic, a real variety.. surely at some point they’ll be on FV .. or other PPV formats.

cinnamon_girl

Agreed wallop. 🙂

bikebuoy – am too poor for Sky but there’s no shortage of channels elsewhere to choose from!

Gilles

I really enjoyed Locked Up season I and II – I think it’s “free” on All 4 if you can stand the adverts.

cinnamon_girl

Lasted an hour watching Witnesses … boring.

cinnamon_girl

Revisited Witnesses having been quite unsettled by the initial murder scene and it wasn’t actually boring.

Tonight’s was certainly action-packed if a bit gruesome.

Burning Bush, the Czech drama, is good so far but the ads every 10 minutes are really putting me off from further viewing.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Cinnamon Girl..its maybe a daft question but are you able to record these programmes prior to watching them ?
    If so just ff through the ads ..

Neil Young fan ?

DrJ

Norskov was great!

I Know Who You Are was interesting for all the improbably attractive women in the Spanish legal profession

New season of Spiral is being shown on French TV just now – can’t wait for it to get here!!

cinnamon_girl

Cinnamon Girl..its maybe a daft question but are you able to record these programmes prior to watching them ?
    If so just ff through the ads ..

Neil Young fan ?

No, I use a Chromecast but may revisit HD recorders or whatever they’re called these days. Yes, a NY fan. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Norskov was great!

I Know Who You Are was interesting for all the improbably attractive women in the Spanish legal profession

New season of Spiral is being shown on French TV just now – can’t wait for it to get here!!

Yes, Norskov was refreshing with such a location as a backdrop.

Can’t wait either for Spiral, assuming it’s not available on DVD. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Just a little update from c_g’s sofa …

I’ve persevered with Burning Bush, the Czech drama where in Prague a student set himself alight due to the oppression by Soviet forces. This first scene was harrowing, it sounds crass to say don’t be put off by this but this drama is turning out to be superb. I’ve watched two episodes, they’re around 1.1/4 hours or so in length and just have the final one to watch.

Student activists are busy busy and obviously the authorities are closely monitoring them. Gloomy lighting showing a downtrodden population, this really is worth watching.

Witnesses, the French drama finishes this evening and really has become quite unbelievable. Mont St-Michel definitely looks to be worth a visit.

Fear not though as another French drama has started, Vanished by the Lake. Set in Provence and the scenery is gorgeous which possibly makes up for the plot. The complete series is now available here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/vanished-by-the-lake

Bancroft starring Sarah Parish (she of W1A) and ran for 4 consecutive nights. I gave up part way through the second episode, another series that became unbelievable.

Spiral oh yes, it’s back on 30th December on BBC4. 8)

wallop

Is Witnesses the frozen bus one? Watched a couple of hours yesterday and quite enjoyed it – will carry on!

cinnamon_girl

It is indeed wallop, with her of the luscious auburn locks.

There is some, er, interest 😉 in Vanished by the Lake 😉

wallop

😆 I’ll look out for that one then!

DezB
    Free Member

Someone was telling me about another drama by the Spiral people..? Something to do with “Trapped” my memory ain’t what it was.

Vanished by the Lake didn’t grab me.

IHN

Enjoying Babylon Berlin at the mo (only three episodes in so no spoilers please)

Gomorrah was brilliant if unrelentingly grim.

cinnamon_girl

“Trapped”

That was an Icelandic thriller Dez. Second series in the New Year, hurrah.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06xttds

wallop

YES! That’s great news! I LOVED Trapped. Thank you, C_G!

cinnamon_girl

Add this to your favourites wallop:

https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/

CheesybeanZ

Bancroft starring Sarah Parish (she of W1A) and ran for 4 consecutive nights. I gave up part way through the second episode, another series that became unbelievable.

Spiral oh yes, it’s back on 30th December on BBC4.

Completely agree.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, cool. Will look for Trapped, but it can’t be the one I was thinking cos that was French… talking of which.. The Tunnel : Vengeance… er PART 2?! How did I miss part 1 waaah!

shooterman

Professor T and Mr Avila on 4OD are very good.

Barquo is excellent. Waiting for the next season to appear on Netflix.

wallop

Love it C_G – thanks!

spursn17
    Free Member

I’ve just finished watching ‘Witnesses’, some of it was a bit unbelievable (plot had more holes than Uncle Albert’s pants!) but I really enjoyed it. It was certainly as good as the first series.

All4 and Walter seems to supply my viewing of choice over the last few months. ‘Case’ was really good, as was ‘Dead Beautiful’. ‘Norskov’ was the usual dark Scandi watch, they do like a bit of political turmoil in their crime drama’s don’t they!

I’m currently just about to start episode 3 of ‘The Burning Bush’. I nearly gave up on episode 1 as it was slow going, but stick with it kids it gets better.

For a totally mad series try ‘The Outlaws’ for fun murders. Just what you’d expect from a country as nutty as Belgium where having fun is riding up cobbled hills on expensive bikes 😀

‘Spiral’ is back on the 30th December, can’t wait!

cinnamon_girl

Good to read reviews from others. 8)

c_g’s award for World Drama of the Year goes to Burning Bush, a superb Czech drama. Pleased to see that spursn17 is also impressed with it.

A mention that Shackleton from 2002 is available on All4 featuring the brilliant Kenneth Branagh.

spursn17
    Free Member

When I finished episode 1 I had a look at the real Jan Palach’s story, made No2 a much more interesting watch.

Jan Palach

cheers_drive

The first few episodes of Witnesses was great, it then got very far fetched. Still I got to look and listen to Sandra

wallop

I’m just coming to the end of the final episode of Witnesses. It should have ended on episode 6. Ridiculous!

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for such an interesting link spursn17.

Witnesses getting thumbs down then!

Xmas telly is uninspiring to put it mildly and can’t see myself watching any of it. i-player and Walter Presents to the rescue. 🙂

gordimhor

Enjoyed Mindhunter on Netflix.
    Dark looks pretty good too.

cinnamon_girl

Bumpity bump. 😀

Spiral is as good as ever, hurrah. Very pleased to see Vera return featuring that rubbish county Northumberland. 😉

Anyone watching Caith, a new Welsh and Welsh-spoken series? It’s on the S4C channel, I’m having to watch on my desktop to get the subtitles. Available later in the year though with both languages.

Stonking Snowdonian scenery and holding my attention so far.

19th January sees the start of a new Scandi drama on Walter Presents, Rebecka Martinsson: Arctic Murders

Anything been keeping you glued to the sofa then?

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yes, loving the new Spiral.

Jordskott was back on over Christmas, my Sky box recorded it, but not watched as yet.

The Tunnel finished on Sky Atlantic last night… fantastic stuff, but I er cried. No spoilers, so can’t say why! 😥

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Telly: World Drama chat’ is closed to new replies.