Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Telly: 'Fair Isle: Living on the Edge'
  • cinnamon_girl

A wee bit disappointed that our Scottish Forumites kept this to themselves but, fear not, i-Player to the rescue.

Two part series, only the first part available now but what an extraordinary place to live and not just for the weather!

Part one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b083xzhb/fair-isle-living-on-the-edge-episode-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b084mn3x

Enjoy. 😀

franksinatra

I love the islands and am fascinated by wild places but couldn’t live there. It looked quite oppressive.

I’ll give that English couple one winter before they bin it. Not because of the weather but because she will realise that he is actually a bit of a cock.

somafunk

Yeah i watched it with interest as a mate was from there, his father used to be the minister on the island (Stuart Wilson), it takes a certain type of person to survive n’ flourish/cope with those conditions and isolation. Beautiful place indeed but i only managed a 2 week holiday on fair isle a few years ago before i wanted back on the mainland.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cinnamon_girl

Oppressive definitely especially as there has to be a permanent and mutual co-dependency on other islanders. The poor English woman just wanted some peace to finish her unpacking!

Couldn’t cope with packing kids off to Shetland for 3 weeks at a time for schooling, not sure that it’s particularly fair on them either.

matt_outandabout

A place I am keen to visit…

cinnamon_girl

somafunk – did you fly or go by boat? I had to look at my mapping software cos I didn’t know where it was, was surprised at the number of islands and the size of some.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dunno about fair Isle, but I recall reading an article in trout and salmon about colonsay when I was about 12, made me want to live there.

I need to get some fishing in next year.

CountZero

Thanks for the heads-up, downloaded EP 1, EP 2 isn’t available at time of broadcast, so I’ll download it later.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Watched last night, one thing that struck me – I couldn’t live somewhere that doesn’t have any hills.

franksinatra

I couldn’t live somewhere that doesn’t have any hills.

It also doesn’t have any trees.
    Or a pub
    Or a cafe
    Or a river
    Or sensible delivery costs for internet orders
    Or any worthwhile mountain biking

cinnamon_girl
    towzer

a true Fair Isle story

in the early days of the bird observatory there was an old local who went up to the observatory to report he’d see some rarer than rarer than rarer bird on the island, he wasn’t well received, much disbelief and amusement from the bird pros and he was sent packing, he tried a few times again, with conversations getting a bit more heated each time, on his last visit on the subject, after they’d impolitely told him that such and such a bird would never be on Fair Isle and to stop wasting their time he pulled the aforementioned bird out of his pocket, apart from the neat .22 hole it was in perfect condition.

cinnamon_girl

That’s shocking towzer. 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Telly: 'Fair Isle: Living on the Edge'’ is closed to new replies.