Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • TellmeaboutPenrithtrackworld
  • lambchop
    Free Member

Seriously considering upping sticks and relocating to the Lakes or near abouts. Have holidayed twice in the past year near Mungrisedale which is a few miles outside of Penrith. I currently work at a Center Parcs in the south of England, so there could be the possibility of transferring to Whinfell CP which again is a few miles outside of Penrith. My wife is a primary school teacher so hopefully there may be a school in the area that will be recruiting before too long. Love the fact that Penrith is on the West Coast Mainline, has an Aldi, a Morrison’s and a bookshop named after my favourite movie (Withnail Books). So are there any Penrithians on STW? Any words of advice? I’ve heard there is a animal rendering plant a few miles away and if the wind is blowing from a certain direction there is a thing called the Penrith pong!

munrobiker
    Free Member

A couple I know moved up there. They hated it – both school teachers, one working at a school in Penrith, the other in Keswick. They bought a house in Keswick only about 18 months after moving to Penrith. They found it to be a “local town for local people”- the locals were unfriendly, there’s not a lot going on and it’s a bit grim.

They like Keswick much more, there’s more culture and the people are friendlier.

These are late twenties/early 30s arty left wing types. I suspect that if you’re a bit of an old racist you’d probably like it.

lambchop
    Free Member

Mid forties arty left wing types here so appreciate your advice. Keswick is lovely but house prices are probably a lot more.

convert

Went to Keswick for the first time in ages a couple of weeks ago – blimey I’d forgotten how posh it is now. And I suspect stupid busy in season too. Good for Booths, climbing and walking shops and cafes selling crushed avocado. Sort of like a Northern Totnes, with a bit less old shabby chic Saab and a bit more new Audi.

Penrith’s most positive aspects seem to be where it is close to. That’s about it. Useful amenities but not sure I’d want to live there. Close to there could work, but not there unless money was tight and it was the only way to afford to live close to the Lakes. Better than Carlisle – struggled to find too many positives there.

ElShalimo

Penrith has a Booths and the Angel Lane chippy. That’s 2 good reasons to live there.

It’s not really fair comparing it to Keswick. It’s a real working town not a tourist trap, so you’ve got to expect it to have more “character”.

poolman
    Free Member

I keep looking at the lakes to live as my family are from the area.  However, i worked there for a while, for that well known perveyor of kitchenware, the locals really dont like change…i just spend 13 days there and it rained for 11 of them, plus the black ice on the roads in april, the crowds in the honeypot towns.

Sorry i have never been to penrith but my brother lives in a nearby village which is very nice and well offf the beaten track.

jekkyl

Lots of lovely villages along the Eden Valley… Langwathby?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘TellmeaboutPenrithtrackworld’ is closed to new replies.