• This topic has 43 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by poly.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Telling my parents (baby content)
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

My folks have been longing for my wife and I to make them grandparents. They’ve neve been pushy or nagged about it but I know that they would love nothing more than t be grandparents, and being an only child it really was up to me to make it happen.

After secretly ‘trying’ for the past nine months my wife and I were overwhelmed on Boxing Day when we found out she was at last pregnant. We are holding fire for a while before announcing it to make sure all is well during the turbulent early stages of pregnancy but I’m already excited at the prospect of telling my folks as I know just how much it will mean to them.

So, with that in mind I wanted to try and find a way to tell them in a slightly more interesting way to intensify the surprise ( I saw a YouTube clip whereby daughter gave her parents each a t-shirt as a Christmas present, one saying ‘worlds best grandad’ and the other saying ‘worlds best grandma’. It had the desired emotional effect which I thought was quite sweet).

Any suggestions?

alpin
    Free Member

congratulations…!

nothing to add as such, other than the GF’s sister and fella told her parents on Christmas eve whilst doing the washing up. i was asleep on the sofa and the GF was on the loo…

not really one for timing, the GF’s sister….

parkesie
    Free Member

Submit next christmas`s present list / letter to santa

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When the wife says, “No wine thanks, just a lime and soda for me”, that should do it!

Congratulations!

psling
    Free Member

Congratulations.
    No suggestions on how you do it but just make sure they don’t hear about it first from someone else who may have read about it on an internet forum…

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t say anything. Then when the wife/gf starts looking a bit thick around the middle, just glare at them if they say anything.

Continue to deny it even when it’s blatantly obvious, and even when you are holding a baby.

“What baby?”

binners

I’m presuming this was the evening of conception 😀

The real reason she wasn’t happy… by binlidski, on Flickr

Show them this, with a ‘what happened next?’ subtitle

Congratulations! Get out on the bike as much as you can. Its days are numbered!

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’d definitely wait a month or two – it’s a bit of a grim statistic, but something like 20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage in the first 3 months. Although you might want their support if anything goes wrong – everyone’s different.

Hopefully all will go well though! And congratulations!

I’d wait for the first scan, invite the parents around and show them photos and casually include the picture from the ultrasound.

Well, actually, I’d hire a trained stork, get it to casually stroll into the living room, and pass me a note saying, “PREGNANT LOL”.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

You pin pointed the night Binners. What gave it away?

The Christmas present list for next year sounds good. I like that idea.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’d definitely wait a month or two – it’s a bit of a grim statistic, but something like 20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage in the first 3 months. Although you might want their support if anything goes wrong – everyone’s different.

Absolutely Mr Toast. We intend to keep it to ourselves for a few months.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Congratulations.
    No suggestions on how you do it but just make sure they don’t hear about it first from someone else who may have read about it on an internet forum…

Thankfully my parents think the Internet is some sort of sea fishing device.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Congratulations! That’s bloody awesome! 😀

And don’t pay any attention to the likes of binbins…you’ll find the world of people are more than happy to tell you how miserable it’ll be.

I think this is best done simply to be honest. We told our respective folks just by telling them to close their eyes and putting a scan picture in their hands.

If you’re very impatient (and nervous), you can always pay privately for an eight week scan – costs around £100 depending on where you live – if they detect a nice strong heartbeat at that stage, you’re already at high nineties percentage of making it through to the end.

BigJohn

There are a couple of Aussie radio presenters who could phone up your folks pretending to be you.

bruneep

Just send them a link to here

sandwicheater

Well done!
    We recently found ourselves in the same position. Had to play it down as didn’t want to get there hopes up and something go wrong down the line.
    We just gave them a call and shoehorned the news at the end of our conversation.
    It was after 28 weeks when we all started getting excited.

willard

Congratulations! This effectively proves that mountainbiking is not the great contraceptive that people think it is.

As for letting parents know. You could always wait until things were just about noticeable, then hand them a brochure for childrens’ ISAs and tell the they should be thinking about one in about x months…

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Congratulations. But just tell them in a grown up way rather than trying to ‘intensify it’. They’re going to be grandparents which will be very important and special to them so don’t treat it like they’ve won the x-factor.

binners

I wasn’t being negative Bravissimo. Its fantastic news! I’m made up for you fervouredimage . Parenthood is ace!

For what its worth – I believe the time honoured tradition is to wait until you’ve got your first proper scan picture, then thrust it proudly under the noses of everyone you know 😀

Do you want to borrow my kids for a while to get used to the idea? Extra points if you can get Madame Binners number one to actually get dressed, as she’s point blank refusing to get out of her onesey! And rather annoyingly being generally adorable while doing so. Bloody kids! 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

I told my mum and dad on the day of her cancer op ten yrs ago, with the words “if you want a reason to get better quick then here it is” I handed over the scan photo that we’d had done an hour earlier in the same hospital
    Obviously you don’t want a similar scenario but just telling them would be enough I reckon!

jekkyl

if one of your parents has a birthday in the coming months, say we’ve decided to get you a special present but it won’t be ready on your birthday, in fact it’ll take nine months to make!!
    Congratulations mate, absolutely awesome!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

as she’s point blank refusing to get out of her onesey!

Me too. 😀

I have a special grey one.

pingu66
    Free Member

Congratulations! Awesome news.

labsey
    Free Member

Congrats! I’d wait until the first scan. Them tell them.

binners

Hmmmmm, I feel the strangest……

Actually…. Looking at the weather out there DD, I can’t say I blame her.

She’s now successfully been bribed (again, in the time honoured tradition – watch and learn fervouredimage) with lunch at the Chocolate Cafe. As the name suggests, this probably won’t involve a salad! 😉

duirdh
    Free Member

Just leave this thread open on their computer, I’m sure they’ll be thrilled to hear you shared your news with your virtual biking buddies before those close to you in the real world 😉
    Congratulations ::D

restless
    Free Member

Make them some bun dough, wrapped in cellophane, with instructions to bake at 37degrees for 9 months, add a pinch of strawberry or blueberry and take out the oven on …. (insert due date)

DickBarton

We are holding fire for a while before announcing it to make sure all is well during the turbulent early stages of pregnancy but I’m already excited at the prospect of telling my folks as I know just how much it will mean to them.

Congrats on keeping it secret…

On a lighter note…brilliant news, congratulations to you and mum! I’m sure all will be well and your parents will be over the moon.

slowmart
    Free Member

Congratulations to you both.

It depends on how often you both see your parents as they will start having suspicions from small signs.

Most women are the picture of health, skin hair and a general radiance. Refusing alcohol and soft cheese could lead to assumptions.

dribbling
    Free Member

“Mum, Dad – how’s your diary for the next 18 years?”

Or buy Dad some Werthers.

neilc1881
    Free Member

We put together a family photo book on snapfish (well, actually the wife did), then put the scan photo in the last page, mum had wet eyes well before she got to the scan photo.

mrchrispy

condom with a rip in it?

seriously, congrats but wait for the 1st scan.
    and let them start to figure it out when the other half isnt drinking and going to bed early…thats 1/2 the fun!

tomaso
    Free Member

Mum’s the word until 10-12 weeks!
    Congratulations

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done fella! No daft t shirt type gimmicks, just invite them round for a nice lunch, fire on, nice dimmed lights, all warm and cosy, and break the news. They will love it. Babies rock.

meehaja
    Free Member

my mum likes to knit. I bought her a “knitting for babys” book…

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Congrats, life will never be the same.

What we did was wrap a pair of baby bootees in a bog standard , non descript wrapping paper, this was in Sept, and gave my parents it , just saying “Here’s a little present for you” nothing more. They opened it and the look that went from confusion to recognition to absolutely hysteria, as it was there first grandchild, was worth millions.

ourmaninthenorth

first time we couldn’t hide it as mrs north was being violently sick.

second time, we mentioned it as we found out. lost the baby a few days later.

hold tight for the time being,eh?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Can understand holding off telling friends/acquaintances but your mum & dad would surely notice if you were upset if you lost it (even your mood on the phone).

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Waiting for the first scan is the sensible approach for telling friends but in my opinion you tell your parents as soon as you know. And I don’t understand why people feel the need to dress everything up, you’re a grown up now just sit down with them and tell them face to face.

crankboy
    Free Member

You are having a baby there genuinly is not a” more interesting way to intensify the surprise” . It is the most special moment for them not a YouTube video.

Edit congratulations too

JRTG
    Free Member

Congrats! We’re in the same situation here but a few months on (30 weeks at the moment , eek! Only 10 to go!!). We waited till 20 weeks to tell them. I know it’s a long time but we wanted to be sure all was ok as last year didn’t go so well.

Proper chuffed for you and just wait till you see all the stuff you are supposed to get and the special lessons you get to go to!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Telling my parents (baby content)’ is closed to new replies.