Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Telling hans dampf tyre compounds apart?
  • somafunk

Perhaps i’m missing the obvious here but i ordered a pair of Hans Dampf from bike-discount de last week and they arrived yesterday but i’m unsure if they’ve sent me the pacestar/trailstar combo i asked for or whether i’m just having a blonde moment, here’s the pics below.

Front tyre

Rear tyre, by EVO compound i take it they mean the softer compound (?)

One of the tyre boxes

“Other” tyre box

What’s confusing me is both tyres say Trailstar on their sidewalls yet on the box one is marked PSC (pacestar compound) and the other is marked TSC (trailstar compound) – what gives?, am i being thick in suspecting i have two trailstar compound tyres as i’d expect them to be marked either trailstar or pacestar on the sidewalls rather than both having Trailstar markings.

I’m confused and the schwalbe site is nae help.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Looks as you have said.Both Trailstar 🙁

honourablegeorge

Should say “Pacestar” as below

somafunk

Ahh bugger!, so how come I have two trail star compound tyres with two different sidewall markings as shown in the pics above? , and seeing as i have now fitted them wi stans gunk I wonder what the chance is of getting a replacement from bike-discount, I never checked the actual tyres as when I read the different compounds on the box label I automatically assumed the correct tyres would be inside and promptly set about fitting them.

HindlePie
    Free Member

Think I’ve solved it. Looks like in your top pic, the 3 star compound actually means pacestar as illustrated in ‘honourablegeorge’ pic, between the ‘hans’ and the ‘dampf’. Also did a quick google and 11600269 actually refers to pacestar. Problem solved.

martinxyz
    Free Member

when I got my ts and ps it seemed to be easier to press the thumb nail into the pacestar. They actually felt softer!

easygirl

PSC pacestar compound
    TSC trailstar compound

somafunk

The trouble is i have two Hans Dampf both marked as trailstar 3 compound, surely if one was a pacestar compound then it would be identified as such on the tyre sidewall?, and if they are the same compound how come they have different sidewall markings? – if i wasn’t confused beforehand, now my head is well and truly up my arse, pics below of the two tyres.

My rear tyre which should be a Pacestar compound, clearly marked as an EVO 3 Trailstar compound

My front tyre which appears to be the correct Trailstar compound.

It may work out less hassle to order another Pacestar for the rear as i doubt Bike-Discount de will accept a tyre back for exchange that’s been filled with stans gunk even though it’s not left the house yet, spare tyres are always handy.

somafunk

FWIW I previously had Continental 2.4 M-Kings Protection/tubeless ready Black chilli on before these and there is only 40g of difference between the tyres, Hand Dampf were 770g on the shops digital scales and the Conti’s were 730g…considering the conti’s have constantly leaked air for the last 3months and needed 150ml of sealant at all times to cure the leaky sidewalls i was impressed with the way the Schwalbe’s inflated with the briefest of pumps wi the track pump and held air without any sealant, try that wi the leaky conti’s and you’ll still be there hours later pumping furiously and reaching core meltdown on the track pump.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The difference in the logo is because The one with the red writing on was older stock that Schwalbe have been clearing out.

The latter tyre with the little descriptive boxes is the more current. I’m not sure if the only difference is graphics, as they don’t make finding information out easy.

Diane
    Free Member

I bought some Schwalbe tyres recently – it is very confusing! Got mine really cheap – hope they are the right ones

dgb1
    Free Member

Hob Nob is spot on. Red markings indicate older stock. The tyre with the 4 box graphics on the sidewall is the newer stock.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this.

when I got my ts and ps it seemed to be easier to press the thumb nail into the pacestar. They actually felt softer!

Pacestar is the hardest, fastest compound…? Trailstar then Vertstar.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Mine are currently on their way from Germany via DPD from BikeSport (Konsums), I ordered 2 x Pacestar 29er as I used to use Syncros Point’n’Chute in my 26 days and the Hans Dampf seem to be the nearest to the tread design. Harder compound so I can run low pressure on offroad and pump them up for firmer flatter trails.

bigrich

the one with the white boxes on is the 2013 version of pacestar. the trailstar is the 2012 livery. dont worry about it.

njee20
    Free Member

So are we actually saying the 2013 Pacestars say Trailstar on them? I’m dubious!

sandal100

So are we actually saying the 2013 Pacestars say Trailstar on them? I’m dubious!

No

The older stock with the red evo tag has the compound on the star between the hans and the dampf and in the little piece of writing. The newer style graphics have the compound in a box. They are both trailstar. The op is just a case of the wrong tyre in the wrong box. The amount of these tyres produced I’m sure the odd one will get marked up wrong.

andymc06
    Free Member

Well I ordered one Trailstar about 7 months ago and have one with white boxes on which funnily enough says “Trailstar”!

I think they have tried to fob you off with old stock. I would contact them, explain you didn’t realise the error until you had put gloop in, then see if they’ll offer you a discount on an actual Pacestar. At worst they’ll say no.

andymc06
    Free Member

Also just to iron out any confusion. Evo refers to quality of materials used and is Schwalbe’s top of the range tyre. Below that is Performance line and Active line. The star number is the number of compounds (3 being triple) the softness is written in words ie Trailstar , Pacestar etc

Hope that helps.

Diane
    Free Member

So educate me – where does medium tacky and hard compound come into it? Or is that specific to front/rear. Also is the older stock not so good?

andymc06
    Free Member

As Njee said above Pacestar is hardest, Trailstar medium then Vertstar soft. In basic terms hard is faster rolling and less grip, softest is slower rolling but more grip. It’s personal preference what you go for and if you mix and match. Lots of folk prefer hard compound rear and medium or soft up front.

Old stock should be fine it’s just principle if you thought you paid for new stock.

somafunk

Cheers peeps, so the stw hive mind has spoken and i do have two identical Hans Dampf trailstars, one which is the new version with 4 blocky graphics and one which is the old version with the red EVO lettering – phew!…glad that’s sorted as trying to find out any info or actual pics of the tyres on the schwalbe site is impossible.

I’d best order myself a Pacestar version then, and keep the spare trailstar for the front or my bro will prob want it so nae loss really.

I’ve pinged Bike discount an email so we’ll see if they get back to me.

Cheers peeps, 😀

Diane
    Free Member

Cheers – I have one of each and they were a great deal from On One 😀

chopchop
    Free Member

I ordered a Pacestar from bikediscount.de last week and a Trailstar tyre inside a Pacestar box arrived! Good job the tyre star was easily visible before I opened the box. It’s on its way back to Germany for a swap with free return postage so not too much of a hassle.

mrelectric

I ordered a TS/PS HD pair from bikediscount.de a few weeks ago. What I got is a Trailstar with red EVO label on the sidewall and the box labeled TSC; and a Pacestar with (newer?) white tyre marking and box marked as PSC. I’ve only fitted the PS (to the front as I put a new Nobby Nic on the rear).

Can’t tell difference by feel (my fingers have an electronic engineer’s calibrated temperature sensing but need a durometer for hardness….)

So it works for me; all much as expected.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Telling hans dampf tyre compounds apart?’ is closed to new replies.