Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)
  • Tell us your accent
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m a mix of generic/southern, Welsh and Herefordshire, but lots of people say I sound a bit Welsh even when I don’t think I do.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I was brought up in a council scheme in Glasgow, but my mum thought she was posh as she’d moved out of he singleend in Maryhill. So she always made sure we spoke properly. I went to school with a bunch of neds and my dad was in the police, as you can imagine I had a tricky time at school.

So anyway ‘posh’ glaswegian, a hint of ayrshire and as I married a Yorkshire lass then a few yorkshire words in there too. I know that sounds incredibly glamorous 🙂

SaxonRider

I’m a mix of generic/southern, Welsh and Herefordshire, but lots of people say I sound a bit Welsh even when I don’t think I do.

I was wondering if you were going to weigh-in on this. I find your accent very difficult to pin down, so the fact that you describe it that way makes me feel a bit better.

scoob67
    Free Member

‘sake, Gowky’s could end up with a right bad name if this keeps up.
    I mean, it’s not the prettiest place in the world but it’s no Forgewood.
    Did I mention I worked in Ellsmere Port once. That’s a wonderful part of the world.

miketually
    Free Member

NE is has a vast array of accents many within just a few miles.

I have a Darlington accent. It’s totally different to a Bishop Auckland or Durham or Teesside or North Yorkshire accent.

khani
    Free Member

Apparently I sound like a Mancunian Wurzel Gummage, 😕 proper Mancunian though, which is a bit more farmyard than the ‘eeeearrrrre maaaate’ scouse/Liam Gallagher accent..

stigofthedump1
    Free Member

Cheltenhamshire born and bred, not as coarse as a Gloucester accent but no where near as thick as a true forester accent.

andyt1054
    Free Member

Finest Sheffield Yorkshire for me, the g.f is German, but spent time in the USA some years back so she speaks English with a US, Yorkshire, Deutsch mix

Which is much better than my attempts with “Sheffield German”

Don’t get me started on the Swiss German accent…..

WildHunter2009

Used to be a fairly generic south east ish southern accent but after 6 years in Western Australia i’m told I have picked up a a wee bit of the natives accent. I can’t hear it myself and think its just my mates giving me crap.

Daffy

West Cumbria, but try not to use much of the local vernacular. Most people here in Bristol think I sound like a Geordie until I introduce them to my friend Gary who IS a Geordie and they can barely understand a word he says 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I find your accent very difficult to pin down, so the fact that you describe it that way makes me feel a bit better.

I do shift when talking to people though, since I consider you pretty neutral I become more neutral myself.

You only seem neutral to me though because I live with a North American so I am used to it. I’m sure the rest of the forum wouldn’t think s0.

I’m not sure I could pick you out as Canadian instead of something like New England with enough confidence to not worry about causing offence…

bikebouy
    Free Member

There is a Hampshire accent, you just have to venture into the Downs or the upper Downs to find it. Forget the conurbation that is Sotty/Pompy/Eastleigh/Waterlooville/Winchester because there are a lot of folks from Up Landan way and it’s all sort of mockney with a bit of round tones..
    But a true Hampshire accent is something similar to rural Dorset or Wiltshire, a bit colloquial farmer and very rounded with lower registers.. beautiful to hear and surprising too when you are in a Pub in the Downs and someone asks for a Pint and you have to take stock of what you’ve just heard.
    Lovely.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

West Cumbria, but try not to use much of the local vernacular. Most people here in Bristol think I sound like a Geordie until I introduce them to my friend Gary who IS a Geordie and they can barely understand a word he says

Fukn ay up marra.

I’m pure Barrovian with a hint of South Cumbrian yacker. Do my best to hide it though.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve lived in Cheshire and Manchester and have a general northern accent, a bit boring maybe but very different to RP.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Merseyside meets Oxford with notes of entitled bellend.

redmex
    Free Member

Fife one here and happen to work too,i can always spot a Fifer on radio and it is not a great listen but cross the Tay to the Dundee schemes and it’s like being on a different continent you need subtitles if not used to it

StirlingCrispin

I’m going to guess mine is clipped RP with a mass of Scottish idioms thrown in.

Raised in Hertford but have lived in Scotland for almost all of my adult life. The current Hertford accent isn’t what it was when I was growing up, now being a definite estuary drawl.

Stirling – the accent changes within a few miles. I lived for 10 years in Fallin, a former mining village to the east, and the accent there was very different to that spoken by my colleagues born and bred in Stirling.

Wifey is from North Ontario. My boys speak with lightly Scottish accents (I think) and they definitely pronounce some words differently to me. Poem being an example.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

25 years of living in Yorkshire but don’t think I have picked up the accent but luckily my original Kidderminster accent only comes out when I am drunk!

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Born in Wiltshire had the worzel corrected by my very posh grandmother, then went on to live in various bits of Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire before moving to Sheffield 20 years ago.
    I once had a lengthy conversations with a woman and at the end of it she asked me where in the country I was from. She was a professor at the university studying dialects and couldn’t place me – I quite like that.

More recently I was told at a party that I had the accent of a middle class girl who’d gone off the rails – that’s probably also quite accurate! 😆

lerk
    Free Member

Grew up in Derbyshire but within a stones throw of South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire borders.
    More or less sock in between Sheffield, chesterfield and Mansfield.

Therefore I’ve got a real mish mash of Dee-dar, me-duck and Water with an ah.

BenjiM

Broad Lancashire, mainly a cross between Chipping and Goosnarian.

mmannerr

Finnish rally driver.

metalheart
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/HN-qYFusdps[/video]

Me earlier on today…. 😉

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

South Lancashire,not quite as ‘full on’ as Johnny Vegas…
    People from up the road,Preston think I’m a bit scouse.
    When I’m in Yorkshire or East Lancs they often think I’m Scouse.
    When I’m in Liverpool they think I’m from Lancashire or Yorkshire.
    I’ve had New Zealander’s ask me what part of Scotland I’m from !! 😯

yunki
    Free Member

east Devon estuary

Houns

Black Country that’s been beaten out of me by my Geordie Mum and North Yorshirist Dad whilst growing up….. Mixed with a hint of whoever I’m talking to at the time….. it’s annoying and no idea why I do it

chipster

West Yorkshire, with a strong Barnsley flavour which has rubbed off the better half over the past 29 years.
    A Polish guy I used to work with in Leeds once told me that I’d got a strong accent. 😀

coolhandluke
    Free Member

posh scouse

sweepy
    Free Member

I have retained my South London accent despite 10 yrs in Liverpool and 25 odd in Scotland.
    The Mrs changes accent like I change pants, took her about 3 weeks to get a scouse accent and when she talks to Eastern Europeans its frankly embarrasing, sounds like she’s taking the piss.
    The weird one tho’ is when she gets angry she develops a strong Geordie accent- despite never having been there.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Mancashire but can go full Salford when fuming. In such situations I apparently sound like my dad.

CheesybeanZ

Born and lived in Brum till I was five , moved to small village in Worcestershire , worked in Gloucester for 20+ years –
    I guess its a bit sproutyyamyam .

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

A mancashire accent a mixture between Bolton to full on Manc when I’m angry or drunk.

darrell
    Free Member

transatlantic Bolton toned down through lecturing mangled with Swiss German and Norwegian infections

my old friends from Bolton are ashamed to know me

sargey

Or right mo mon, ah bin ya.
    Black Country born in wall heath and only moved about 5 miles.
    On holiday “are you from Birmingham “
    “no I’m not from fu%=##g Birmingham “

mrdobermann
    Free Member

I have a working class London accent, I don’t use the stereotype dialect though lol. If I’m angry I sound like a bank robber apparently…

jimob
    Free Member

Dublin with a hint of cockney and teesside

simmy
    Free Member

Mix of Wigan / Bolton / manc, depending on where I’ve spent most time.

Those towns are within 20 miles af each other but the accents really differ.

I went out with a girl from Australia 10 years ago when she was working over here and I developed an Aussie twang….

Garry_Lager

simmy – Member

Mix of Wigan / Bolton / manc, depending on where I’ve spent most time.

Those towns are within 20 miles af each other but the accents really differ. Not really mert, a wool is a wool 🙂 Need to get into Liverpool to hear linguistic distinction.

spursn17
    Free Member

North east London, not quite east London Danny Dyer but not far off.

Missus is from Leeds but has been down here down south for 38 years and has lost most of her Yorkshire accent, if I hear a strong Yorkshire accent come back I’m running for the hills as I know I’m in trouble! 😀

sbob
    Free Member

coolhandluke – Member

posh scouse

Oxymoron.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Tell us your accent’ is closed to new replies.