Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 168 total)
  • Tell us your accent
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

I have a little American southern drawl left but mainly its all a bit RP..

myopic
    Free Member

Another Wishy accent here, though I had to polish it up a bit when I moved to Glasgow to be understood, then again after moving to Edinburgh. Still recognised as Lanarkshire though (I think…)

matt_outandabout

A mongrel.
    Northern English, with slight hint of Cumbrian, influenced by International India school and being married to Yorkshire lass for 22 years.
    Commonly asked if I am Aussie….!

MrSparkle

Kind of East Lancashire but not Blackburrrn or Burnleh.

rascal
    Free Member

Lived in South Wales (Porthcawl/Bridgend) for 22 years, been in East Mids since.
    Had a very strong accent when I first arrived – people used to say “Say **** hell” as the girls used to get moist when I did as I dwelt on the ‘K’ 😉
    Then after a period of time I’d go home to be told I sounded English. Not got East Mids accent yet which is hideous – “get over here now Brit-nehhhh!”
    Sound more Welsh after I come back from being there for a few days. Or when I swear.
    Still pleased when people I’ve just met can tell I’m Welsh though 😀

bodgy
    Free Member

Middle class non-posh, with hard A’s (Grass not grarss, Bath not Barth) that I’ve retained from when I lived in Hull and a vague Wessex lilt (retained form growing up in Somerset and now living in Dorset).

I dropped the Somerset accent VERY quickly when I moved to Hull, owing to not wanting to get beaten up on a regular basis.

phil40
    Free Member

Bits of wolverhampton (when swearing or cross) mixed with RP from Uni and a posh surrey wife!

Hope to move back towards wolves one day to regain my rightful mercian accent 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

North Hampshire, Fleet accent.

Anyone north of Sheffield perceives it as Mockney London, anyone from London perceives it a posh bumpkin.

gordimhor

God only knows what my accent is. Product of Ayrshire upbringing and Highland life.

binners

Generic Northern

Though I’ve been informed that you can tell when I’m in a bad mood as I go full Manc

martinhutch

Grew up in Essex, moved north as soon as humanly possible. Luckily I don’t lapse back into Estuary English very often, so it’s a generic northern twang.

loddrik
    Free Member

Scouse. And damn proud of it.

Although have a londoner wife who speaks without much of an accent which has probably toned mine down over the years.

Got two daughters who thankfully sound much less broad than I do. Can’t stand a broad scouse accent on women tbh.

scud
    Free Member

I’m like a lot of others here a “Mish-mash”, born in Portsmouth, but of a dad who was Northern irish via Solihull, and a mum who was from Sheffield, i’ve then lived in York, Leeds, London, Germany, Morocco and now Norfolk, and i pick up bits of accents, and even more certain turns of phrase.. i have a habit of saying “that’s grand..” instead of good like NI, then will come out with Yorkshire phrases but in a Hampshire accent with Norfolk bumpkin inflections!

My uncles is good, born in Newwcastle, raised in Sheffield and now in Essex, he has this weird Geordie, Yorkshire, Essex accent going on.

I like the range of accents on our small island..

ElShalimo

Having worked with lots of European and US guys for over 20yrs, my accent has toned down to regular Northern Monkey – a mix of Manchester, S Yorks & W Yorks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Broad Ayrshire ya ****.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Broad Ayrshire ya ****.

Dobber? 😉

scoob67
    Free Member

Awright ya bawbags. Who knew most folk on here are fae Wishy. Deepest Gowky with a hint of Craigneuk.
    Am pure scheme scum me.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Like south Cumbrian like, eh.

Whatt yon wi?
    Ahul gahan git us two-uls, eh.

fasthaggis

I am, however a complete accent sponge and will subconciously take on the intonation of those around me in a very short timescale.

You and me both PP.
    I am mostly Scots central belt hidden within a Heinz 57 Varieties.
    Working in so many different places over the years,I would do it automatically.
    You have to watch at that game though,still amazed it didn’t get me a punch in the mouth. 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

People from Gowky aspire to reach the heady heights of “pure scheme scum”

That’s a massive step up.

Well done. 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

Bratfud wi a bit o Wakey

crapjumper
    Free Member

Another scouser here

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gowky?

scoob67
    Free Member

Posh end, Heathfield, sometimes referred to as Castlehill estate or Lower Overtown.

myopic
    Free Member

Gowky = Gowkthrapple

bodgy
    Free Member

a complete accent sponge and will subconciously take on the intonation of those around me in a very short timescale.

This is Mrs B, who will completely unknowingly start imitating someone’s accent. The main problem being is she’s utterly terrible at it, which is not only embarrassing but often causes offence. She seems to particularly like adopting an Indian accent when talking to Welsh people, and does this bizarre Scottish thing on occasion which slightly sounds like she’s on helium. FFS.

scoob67
    Free Member

Gowky, aka Gowkthrapple, a charming hamlet on the south side of Wishaw, Lanarkshire.
    Often mistaken for Beirut.

Murray

RP crossed with Estuary. I grew up in Maidstone or Maaayyydstun to give it’s local pronunciation, hence the estuary English. My mum was born in India in the 1930s of expat parents, went to a convent school, joined the Army as an officer when she came to the UK hence the RP.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had to google that, sounded a made up name!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Gowky – Where you need to a Tour of Duty before the council will let you have a real house.

Posh end, Heathfield, sometimes referred to as Castlehill estate or Lower Overtown.

Heard it. Gowky.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds like Annbank.

SAS have their final assignment in Annbank, if you can get through there without a blind twitching at 3am, yer in.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Right mongrel

Dorset to age 7, then South Wales to 18. Then north east for a few years and since then Oxon / Bucks

Most people don’t pick any accent but a few place me as West Country or Welsh

gallowayboy

Probably mostly Kirkcudbrightshire, though i lived in Perthshire ’til i was ten, and have picked up a fair few Yorkshire features over the last 17 years.

Gowkthrapple, cuckoos throat, such a beautiful name…….I was a countryside ranger in Motherwell for a few years in the late 80’s and remember visiting a primary school in Gowky – barbed wire coils along the roof verges, steel mesh over the windows…

smett72

Born and bred South Cumbrian. Well, technically it was still Lancashire when I was born, so about 98% South Cumbria, 2% Lancashire.

gazc
    Free Member

Baaaaarrrrrnsley (can’t get away from that) with a bit of Geordie chucked in. Go proper broad when I go back ‘ome. Like being on Kes.

rOcKeTdOg

North worcestershire, like brummie but posher with a underlying herefordshire bumpkiness

Cougar

New potatoes in flour?

😆

East Lancashurrrr.

Kind of East Lancashire but not Blackburrrn or Burnleh.

Ey up and sithee, I’m in’t middle o’ them.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Utterly fabulous.

The UK should really have a “be proud of your accent day”

A bit like “Pie Day” but with moar crust 😆

Cougar

Nah, then we’d just argue about whether it was a real accent or just a dialect with a lid.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Smart RP.

Americans melt at the sound. 😉

Was on a large conference call with American colleagues the other day, and one, who shall remain nameless, forgot to mute her phone when she said, “His accent is just too sexy!”.
    8)

Moved around a lot as a child, then boarding school. As others have said, this tends to give a ‘neutral’ accent in terms of regional tones.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Tell us your accent’ is closed to new replies.