Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Tell me your carbon horror stories
  • minnellium
    Free Member

Most of my carbon horror stories run around the theme of people beating me when they're riding carbon bikes.

BadlyWiredDog

I don't think it matters whether the story is actually true or not. The point is that it could be and that's enough, surely?

richmtb

Snapped an Easton CNT riser a few years ago

SNAP!

To be fair it was a pretty big crash, downhill 20 mph+ tried to cut a corner and the front end washed out, instintively tried to correct it and went pinging over the bars, hitting the bars on the way over them and breaking them , and a rib, in the process.

I didn't blame the bars, I bought a replacement set a week later and they are on their second bike still going strong 4 years later

gusamc
    Free Member

just riding along, saw a saddle bouncing past, and luckily recognized it before I sat down, it was mine. Sharded, unstressed total failure, I won't be buying carbon again.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOLs @ BWD.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Here is mine. It went live on eBay last night.

I took off much of the lacquer from the down tube.
    Having spoken to a number of companies who deal with CF, whilst looking to have it repaired, I have come to better understand that there are a few pit falls:

1) If it is punctured, or the weave is cracked or split you must have it looked at.
    2) If the lacquer is removed it MUST not get wet as this soaks into the CF weave. Re-coat the damaged area.
    3)Crushing can also be catastropic.

The only way to be sure is to have it X-rayed.

There are companies who can replace or mend damaged CF, including atlantic-boulevard

BadlyWiredDog

3)Crushing can also be catastropic.

Glad you cleared that up.

njee20
    Free Member

snapped the EC90 bars clean off

Aah yes, those non-bar end compatible bars snapped because you did something it explicitly says not to, then crashed. Carbon's dangerous for sure… 🙄

Folk actually considered IM's story to be true?

I give up!

+1

trb
    Free Member

I once bought some Carbon patches to prevent cable rub & chain slap from chipping my paintwork and they fell off after 2 rides.
    My carbon frame, bars, seatpost and cranks all had to be sold as well to finance a proper metal bike with a kiddie seat, so that means I'll never be buying carbon again.

I'll be interested to see the reduction in peoples foreign travel when the Boeing Dreamliner & Airbus A350 XWB both enter service as they are basically big carbon tubes with carbon bits glued on each side.

tron
    Free Member

I'll be interested to see the reduction in peoples foreign travel when the Boeing Dreamliner & Airbus A350 XWB both enter service as they are basically big carbon tubes with carbon bits glued on each side.

It's very different to a carbon bike though. People don't put aeroplanes on top of each other in the back of their cars, crash and reuse them, or subject them to abrasion from branches and flying rocks.

The issue for carbon with me is that you cannot tell when something is on its way out – it seems like any damage to a carbon component could lead to sudden failure. Not my cup of tea at all.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

No horror story here, but I bought an Easton EC70 handlebar from my cousin (he'd only ridden on it twice) just over a year ago. It's my first carbon bit and, so far, no problems. Not overly different to the aluminium version, though I'm careful about throwing the bike around in a temper! 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Tell me your carbon horror stories’ is closed to new replies.