• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tell me your best slow cooker recipes
  • alfabus
    Free Member

Our kitchen is about to be ripped apart for 3 weeks. We’re going to set up a camp kitchen in the garage, with a gas stove etc., so we won’t starve.

I also have a slow cooker, which seems perfect for this situation.

There must be some budding, lazy cooks out there with some great ideas for ‘chuck it all in, wait 8 hours, eat’ recipes.

Chillis, curries, stew, whatever you’ve got that works well… Let’s have ’em.

Cheers,
    Dave

ninfan
    Free Member

cubed stewing steak
    diced onion
    diced carrots
    stock cube
    bottle of beer
    throw in some cornflour mix just to thicken it up a little at the end

Bosh!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

pulled pork

lasagne

stew (as above but I coat the cubes of beef in cornflour)

My wife’s slowly, and deliciously, working her way through most of https://www.facebook.com/slowcookerrecipes

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

How does everyone cook a whole chicken in these things?

chewkw
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – Member

How does everyone cook a whole chicken in these things?

Water to cover entire chicken with added herbs etc. The added ingredients will increase the water level so that should be fine. If you want to make soup out of it then add more water.

Then let it slow cook.

:mrgreen:

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve a fair few pork shoulder joints… i just stick the joint on a trivet made of carrots and turn it on – no liquid added. pork is a lot fattier than chicken though.

i take it out and stick it in a hot oven for 30 minutes at the end to get the crackling nicely crispy

oldnpastit

Big piece of beef brisket, cheap red wine (not british wine obviously), onions, carrots, etc. Cook for ages. Serve with mash potatoes.

monkeyp

Just taken a whole chicken out of mine. No extra liquid, add random veg in the bottom. Cook for half a day, remove with a spoon and add bones back in to make stock with some extra water. The stock is amazing for risotto.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Add a punnet of ripe cherry tomatoes, 1 tsp cumin and tbsp of minced ginger and garlic. 10 sliced mushrooms (to keep this a vegan meal) or any meat you fancy.

Stir and slow cook for 5 hrs.

I kid you not this is exceptionally good. Being a family of philistines we serve this with spicy potato wedges and a cold beer.

Milkie
    Free Member

You peeps actually use recipes!? 😆

ssboggy

Whole chicken, bottle of cider, lemon cut into 4 pieces, large onion cut into pieces, carrots, mustard, 2pints of chicken stock and some tarragon then cook for 8 hrs on medium. As mentioned above thicken the stock at the end to make gravy. Delicious

nemesis
    Free Member

To those using onion, do you not find it rather rubbery if you don’t fry/soften it before putting it in the slow cooker?

Milkie
    Free Member

We don’t fry onions here at STW… We sauté the onions. 😆

I always fry them, I mean sauté. 😉

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m French. I can call it frying while still being more authentic than you sautéing them 😉

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

We set up a camp kitchen in in our garage when we replaced ours. We had a microwave and a camping hob with grill.
    Sometimes we would go out to eat on a Saturday as we had spent the whole day working hard.. or we would go to Sainsburys as they heated a pizza (that they made)for a £1.
    New potatoes now have microwave instructions on the back.
    We did not have a slow cooker but I use mine to make
    pulled pork
    carrot and lentil casserole
    steak & kidney for pie fillings
    Lamb shanks
    Irish stew
    Mind you can make Mexican fajitas in 1 pan, curries require 2 generally, you will be a whizz by week 3 of generating meals. Look also for camping recipes as they usually only require a couple of pans.
    I think the first thing I cooked with the new oven was Yorkshire puddings.

ahwiles
    Free Member

beef or lamb
    1 large onion
    garlic
    ginger
    2 tbsp medium curry powder
    salt
    1 tin tomotoes
    1 tin coconut milk
    chopped apricots
    chopped almonds

10 hours later you have a passable tagine – but with only 10min prep time, as opposed to the usual 3 or 4 weeks with other recipes i’ve tried.

binners

Chicken& Chorizo Casserole

Its been in since this morning. The smell of that when I walk in through the front door, out of this shitty horizontal sleet. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 😀

Kuco

If i’m cooking a whole chicken with veg then only a cup full of water as the veg will release a load of water while cooking.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tell me your best slow cooker recipes’ is closed to new replies.