Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Tell me what I have just bought please (retro frame/bike ID help)
  • Premier Icon timmys

I’ve just picked up the bike pictured below as a hack bike for my wife. I was wondering what the frame might be? Seems to be aluminium top, down and seat tubes bonded(?) into a steel rear triangle and headtube. There’s an Oakley sticker on it but I assume that’s not original! I guess we’re talking late 90’s judging by the kit?

I’ve listed the parts I can identify;

Fork: RS Judy T2 “Long Travel”
    Front wheel: Mavic 238 rim on Exage hub
    Rear wheel: Sun Rim CR18 rim on Deore LX hub
    Drivetrain: 3×9, mix of Deore LX and STX
    Brakes: Kona Curve cantis
    Tyres: Kona Break and Enter
    Bar: System 2 Components
    Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium

Premier Icon tom200
    Free Member

Raleigh dynatech.

Premier Icon cyclistm

I would guess at a Raleigh dyna tech of some description, but I’m not really sure on that.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Raleigh Dynatech?

Premier Icon supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Lugs don’t look quite right for a Dyna tech. Also I seem to recall they mostly had wishbone stays. Mine certainly did.

Not sure what else it could be though.

Premier Icon CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dynatechs had proper head badges. There’d be some indication of one having been there, which I can’t see. Also, weren’t the bonded Dynatechs ti tubed?

Premier Icon hexhamstu
    Free Member

My brother had those forks, he dropped some steps and the top-cap fired out of them and hit him in the neck.

Premier Icon docrobster

I’d have said Raleigh too but that proves nothing. How does it ride?

Premier Icon letmetalktomark

Odd question but …..

Does the chainstay brace behind the BB adjoin both the stays or just one?

The curve brakes are off of a Kona as is the front canti hunger but it’s clearly not a Kona.

Premier Icon timmys

Sorry, didn’t have a chance to get back to the computer.

I’ve been googling dyna techs and can’t see any that look completely right. The routing of the cables along the top of the top tube seems different to the dyna techs which seem to have cables more to the side of the tube.

The person I bought it off said it was “a lot” of money at the time, but to a casual cyclist that could mean £500 so I took that with a pinch of salt. It was also described as “custom made” in the ad, but I assume that she just meant it was built up from parts which, judging by the mix of makes, seems right. Bare in mind it was described as an “Oakley frame” due to the sticker on it, so I don’t think too much can be taken from the description.

To answer some other points;
    – Don’t take too much from my use of the word “bonded”. My knowledge extends to the fact that the blue bits of the frame stick to a magnet and the silver bits don’t!
    – No sign of a badge on the headtube.
    – I don’t know how it rides. It was dark when I got home and it is about three sizes too small for me. The gears are out of whack. The fork is less pogo-stick like than I was expecting. The brakes seems sharper than any cantis I can remember trying previously. The tyres seem to have not perished at all. All bearings seem nice and smooth.

Does the chainstay brace behind the BB adjoin nothing the stays or just one?

Premier Icon TedC

Definitely a hotch-potch build.

The Curve canti’s are Kona ’96 vintage, though seem to have black spring tensioners, normally were red on Kona’s but were also available as aftermarket parts, front canti hanger is also of that vintage. Cranks are M569 which didn’t come in until ’97/’98 (had them on my ’98 Kilauea), likewise, the tyres are ’98 Kona vintage, let me know if you’d like to part with the tyres!

Premier Icon pictonroad

Looks exactly like the Raleigh M-Trax that my mate had at school in 94-95.

Premier Icon JoeG
    Free Member

System 2 (handlebar) was a Trek brand for components.

Premier Icon kcal

My 1998 Stumpie M2 had those forks.
    Didn’t really like the bike until I swapped them for a set of Marzocchis and a front disc.

Long travel was, IIRC, 68mm elastomer damped.

That was 3×8 – although they could have upgraded in the mean time.

Premier Icon canopy
    Free Member

Looks exactly like the Raleigh M-Trax that my mate had at school in 94-95.

sadly not the ti one

Raleigh M-Trax Team Titanium mountain bike

Premier Icon bigjim

Looks like my old Raleigh m-trax with the paint stripped off the ti tubes

Premier Icon DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m happy to be proved wrong, but I don’t think it’s a Raleigh. I don’t remember anyone manufacturing frames by bonding aluminium alloy tubes to steel lugs, and then tig welding the lugs….something just seems odd…

Premier Icon timmys

Thanks for the input everyone. Still bugging me what it is!

A couple more photos of some of the more distinctive bits, the seatclamp/rear canti hanger arrangement and the top tube cable bosses just in case they help;

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Whatever it is, it’s a fine looking and well made thing.

Premier Icon Drac

Reminds me of a Rock Lobster.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Free Member

Something by Chas Roberts perhaps..

Premier Icon letmetalktomark

This ^^

I don’t think it is a Raleigh.

The riveted cable stops look familiar though ….. Hmm.

The silver tubes look to be aluminium.

Premier Icon tang
    Free Member

Get it on the golden era Facebook page, they’ll be all over it.

Premier Icon timmys

Get it on the golden era Facebook page, they’ll be all over it.

Will do. Ta.

Premier Icon CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Something by Chas Roberts perhaps..

Croydon’s finest would never turn out a piece of shit* like that.

*Sorry, OP, but when compared to some CR welding, I hope you realise what I’m saying!

Premier Icon timmys

Ha! Yes I had a flick through a gallery of CR bikes and they are definitely a different species to my bike!

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Free Member

It was the top tube cable routing that gave me the impression of a Chas Roberts..

Looks like this no? 😛

Premier Icon Andy_B

TedC, I have a Kona Enter tyre if you’re interested.

Premier Icon timmys

Well the Golden Era Facebook group drew a blank, just more rounds of:

– “It’s definitely, 100% a Raleigh Dyna tech / M-Trax just like I had”
    * me points out why it’s not *
    – “Oh well I guess it isn’t”

Might give retrobike a shot.

Premier Icon philjunior
    Free Member

Definitely a hotch-potch build.

This. The forks and drivetrain are late 90s, the cantis would be v brakes at that point, there are some Kona and some Trek bits on there.

Can’t help with what the frame is, I know Trek did some bonded aluminium ones too but they didn’t look like that and AFAIK didn’t involve any steel. Of course with the mix of vintage on the parts, it could be a frame from just about any time and I imagine a lot of frame builders tried out things like that.

Premier Icon jonathan
    Free Member

I’d bet on it being a Raleight frame of some flavour. The seat cluster looks like a M-Trax Duo-tech 500 or 600, but missing braze rack mounts – looks more like a Dyna-tech road frame cluster. The chainstay bridge isn’t right for a production one either as they had a sort of half stub mudguard mount rather than a bridge.

What you did get in the early 90s was Raleigh Special Projects stuff which was made to measure (ordered via your local Raleigh dealer). If you went into a Raleigh dealer at the time and essentially wanted the best you could get then that’s what you may well have ended up ordering. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this was a made-to-measure frame that happened to use an odd selection of the lugs they had available, which might also explain the top of the top-tube cable guides – which I’ve only seen on “special” frames made for sponsored riders and the like. I don’t think anyone else was making lugged/bonded frames quite like this at the time. There were Alan and maybe Vitus lugged/bonded frames around, but the lugs were alu and look very different.

Premier Icon reggiegasket
    Free Member

Univega dabbled with bonded frames too. Not sure if they did a mtb version though.

Premier Icon timmys

Is there such a thing as a database of frame number formats for different manufacturers?

The frame number of this thing is GC3050211 – which someone on the Facebook group reckons shows it is definitely not a Raleigh.

Premier Icon kimbers

defo a raleigh Ti something- is it really flexy and wobbly?

Premier Icon sillyoldman

Not a Raleigh – they didn’t use lugs like that.

Premier Icon timmys

defo a raleigh Ti something- is it really flexy and wobbly?

Not flexy and I really don’t think it is Ti.

Premier Icon larryduff

Is it a Carrera Mission?

Premier Icon timber

Dean used to mix and match materials a lot, but very rare and that doesn’t quite look up to their standards.

Giant did a few lugged bikes, but more often carbon tubes.

Definitely a lot of Kona build kit.

Premier Icon flap_jack
    Free Member

I think the frame number does look Raleigh-ish. G would be where it was made (Gazelle), C would be February, 3 would indicate 1993, the rest would be the serial number. It’s the same format as my 4 1980s Raleighs.

Premier Icon wonnyj
    Free Member

I thought Univega

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Tell me what I have just bought please (retro frame/bike ID help)’ is closed to new replies.