Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Tell me what car to buy oh wise Singletrackers
  • theteaboy
    Free Member

I had almost the exact same criteria, except that I also wanted something that I’d actually enjoy – I didn’t want to feel like I was driving the same box as everyone else.

I looked at a 1-series coupe (can get the bike in), Mini Clubman, some Volvo and bought an Alfa Giulietta which is ace.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Leon has appalling rear vision.

If you are thinking practicality, what about a Yeti?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

For something completely out there try one of these
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/volkswagen/phaeton/used-volkswagen-phaeton-3-0-tdi-v6-4motion-4dr-peterborough-fpa-201601300564698?logcode=p

Based on the Bentley Continental GT.
    Been a passenger in a W12 petrol, just bonkers for not much money.

TheFlyingOx

Does it have to be newish, as in less than 5 years old? If not, an Alpina BMW might fit the bill.

Other than that, I had a Lexus that was very nicely made and a pleasure to drive.

takisawa2

Just bought my Wife a year old Focus, with the 1.0 litre engine.
    Great little car.
    Drives far nicer than a 1.0 litre car should do.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you are thinking practicality

I’m not. We have a superbly practical (big) family car already. As long as it has 4-5 seats and I can fit my bike in the boot with the seats down I don’t need much more practicality. I realise that gives me a huge range to pick from and this is half my challenge.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Does it have to be newish, as in less than 5 years old?

Yes, but only in the sense that I need to be adding select criteria not removing them 😆

alibongo001

If you want a 1 series, then get one!

https://www.leaseyournextcar.com/bmw/1-series-hatchback-lease

These guys (amongst others) do some very cheap leasing deals – the right side of £300 as you have requested.

I would try a couple of other cars too to make sure that the 1 series is indeed the 1!

(also if you are open minded about what you get there are some real cheap lease deals to be had golf R for example! – less than £300)

Try the pistonheads web site and search best leasing deals – there are a few companies who consistently have really good deals

TheGingerOne

If you want something practical, fun and sporty to drive, don’t get a Yeti.

I found it less practical for bikes than my old 3 door BMW 1 series. The Yeti seats don’t fold flat, they fold forward and the back is quite short so 29er bikes don’t fit in with the front wheel out. You actually have to remove the parcel shelf and the seats and have to lug them and have somewhere to store them. It is far easier to just drop the rear seats flat in a normal car, although having the bikes upright is nice.

Other half just picked up a Mini Clubman Cooper S and I am really impressed by it. It is well specced and a lovely place to be with a decent size boot with the seats flat. Her bike fits in with just the front wheel out.

I got rid of my Yeti after a year and have gone back to a BMW – went back to a 56 plate 330i petrol touring. Much nicer in every respect. Can get the other halfs road bike in the back with the seats down with both wheels still on 🙂

Rockape63
    Free Member

#wonders what happened to Kryton’s Alfa? 😕

Anyway, these car threads are soo boring cos the budget’s are always too small to enable us to talk about exciting cars. I mean a Seat Leon’s good for a holiday hire car…….but that IS ALL!

maxtorque

I think you should get one of these:

But then i’m a bit biased……… 😆

(as this is STW, i feel safe in suggesting a car that fits exactly none of your needs but that i like………)

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Chevy Captiva LTX. Or the equivalent Vauxhall Antara.
    great value.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I currently have the Merc A class as my company car ,mine’s an A200CDI sport.

I didn’t have a choice ,it was simply the car that was available when I joined.

Having previously had a 320d I was a little underwhelmed by it initially, but I’ve warmed to it.

Good points are build quality, high quality interior,comfortable seats,good handling ,great refinement and reasonable performance.

I seem to get lots if positive comments on how it looks too.

I’d say a 1 series is a bit nicer to drive,but as suggested above they are rather cramped in the back.

If it was my own money I’d be looking at the new Mazda 3 or a Seat Leon. Focus drives well too but interior is crap and small boot, VW Golf is a good all rounder but a little ubiquitous and the Leon does the same for less. V40 looks nice,great engine in the D4 but again not overly big,and softer handling than some.

wilburt
    Free Member

I have loads of cars through work, recent ones that I’ve thought were very good are:

Mazda 3, 2.2d 150bhp really liked this and I think it would suit your needs, they have all the bells and whistles you could want, the engine is superb, it feels nimble but well made and solid and whilst I had ot returned 60mpg.

Toyota Rav 4, good motorway cruiser and spacious but doesnt feel too big around town also given its size v good mpg.

at the moment I’m thinking the Mazda may be my next car.

wilburt
    Free Member

In true stw fashion I’ve just gone back and read the previous posts after posting myself.
    If you like the 1 series you’ll like the Mazda 3, its the same format but fully kitted but not as dull.

mattyfez

Sporty mazda.

BadlyWiredDog

#wonders what happened to Kryton’s Alfa?

Wasn’t there some sort of insurmountable problem finding suitable sunglasses to match its rare, ‘heritage’ pedigree?

Onzadog
    Free Member

@thegingerone. Don’t forget, your other half is a munchkin.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I bought a 57 plate petrol Civic 3 years ago for £5.5k. Still only has 50k on the clock so depreciation wasn’t too bad, paid off in 30 months inside your monthly budget. I love it, can’t say I’ve owned many cars but had a few years of hire cars and it’d be my pick over any of those. Just got it back from an accident repair after having a polo for 3 weeks. **** me that thing was dull!

maxtorque

wilburt

Mazda 3, 2.2d 150bhp really liked this and I think it would suit your needs, they have all the bells and whistles you could want, the engine is superb, it feels nimble but well made and solid and whilst I had ot returned 60mpg.

Nimble is not a word that comes to mind imo when describing a Mazda 3 diesel. Feels like there’s a boat anchor in the front, which pushes the nose wide (or just turns on the DSC light) as soon as you try and use the performance on offer (which is ok, but not nearly as strong as the 120d, which can put all it’s power to the road)

womble72
    Free Member

Skoda Yeti? It’s on my radar to replace my current car.

wilburt
    Free Member

@maxtorque, quite possibly, I didnt carry out a driving like a **** test.

chojin
    Free Member

[Quote]rickmeister – Member
    Can you get that in a colour, or is primer the only option ?[/quote]

I genuinely lolled!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Did a load of car shopping today with tape measure for the boot and lots of sitting, prodding and perusing which helped dismiss a few models. I kept coming back to the 118d. Got a few more to try tomorrow but definitely narrowed it down a bit now.

andyl
    Free Member

I think you should get one of these:

But then i’m a bit biased………

(as this is STW, i feel safe in suggesting a car that fits exactly none of your needs but that i like………)

nah, he wants a car from someone who can at least make a half decent F1 car and doesnt bitch about it’s engine supplier in public.

😉

bruneep

lambo

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Saw this whilst browsing. Very VERY nice. My favourite current sports car at any price.

richardkennerley

i just handed back my mini clubman, which was ace and fits your wishlist, little bit on the small side for four people though.

Just picked up a Citroën cactus. It’s weird, but big, comfy and pretty well spec’d for the money. The 1.2 (110PS) engine is surprisingly “nippy.”

Can be picked up for less than £200 pm, spec it up a bit and it’s not much more.

YoGrant
    Free Member

I love my Alfa giulietta. Good PCP deals ATM too as its changing next year. Nice drive with the DNA mode switched to D. Happily gets a bike in the back with the seats down, even with the wheels on.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

@richard I measured up a Mini Clubman and the boot wasn’t really big enough for my bike bag. Also, even my wife – who very much likes them – admitted it didn’t really suit me.

I think the Cactus is a great looking car in its own unique way. My heart wants something a touch sportier though.

chestrockwell

We were in the same position a year or so ago and ended up with a 3yr old 1 series from a franchised dealer. Mistake. It’s been back in the garage for the last week having a long list of issues fixed. Warranty runs out in April so it’ll be gone asap.

We’ll be going back to new as new cars are simply nicer than second hand and don’t have to cost much more. A3, V40, Focus, Leon and A Class are on the list. Golf is not as they are so dull it hurts and cost as much as the A3.

On the BMW, I hate the thing because of all the issues but it’s a great car to drive.

richardkennerley

I’ve currently got the relevant Whispbar roof bars for the mini Clubman for sale on eBay, so you could just pop your bike on the roof instead!

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m just coming towards the end of a 2 year lease with a m135i. It is just within your monthly budget. My requirements are /were basically the same as yours. It’s a fantastic machine and great to drive, but I’m going to replace it with something a bit more sensible. Frankly, 320bhp in a small car is a bit silly – you just instantly hit license-worrying speeds. I can’t really think of anything more exciting whilst being as practical / reliable / comfortable though. The rear seats are not really adult-sized, but mine has the rear seats down all the time. It swallows my large strive race with the front wheel removed.

Before that, I had a Civic FN2 type-R and I’d definitely recommend that if you can cope with the image. Feels special in a racecar sort of way, makes a great noise. The boot was huge too. A more sensible rate of speed accumulation than the beemer, but it would probably get beaten at overtakes by torquey diesels – it’s not actually super fast (6.6s to 62 IIRC) and you need to rev the balls off it to go fast.

chewkw
    Free Member

Go for automatic gear in whatever you intend to buy coz manual is so yesterday. 😛

bear-uk
    Free Member

You can buy my 61 plate Leon FR if you want?
    Mind you it has one of them engines the suffocate baby Robins.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Deposit paid on a 62 plate 118d. Picking it up Thursday 🙂

solamanda
    Free Member

Enjoy it!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Mildly gutted. My excitement at picking up the 1 Series today will have to be tempered until tomorrow due to them not being able to get all the prep finished today 🙁

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Oh no. What colour did you go for?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Did you end up sitting in the showroom in the naughty seat just to be told “it ain’t ready Son”??

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Tell me what car to buy oh wise Singletrackers’ is closed to new replies.