Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tell me this is a good idea……..please! (C2C content)
  • robdob
    Free Member

I’ve never cycled more than 65 miles in a day (did that in 4 hours) on my road bike.

I’ve always wanted to do the C2C route “Way of the Roses”. It’s 170 miles. I could do it in 3 days but I reckon on my own I’d get a bit bored only doing 55 miles a day and the extra accommodation cost (I am not camping) puts me off too.

So I want to do it in 2 days. 85 miles a day. Get train to Morecombe, ride to Ripon (isH), ride to Brid the next day then train home.

I figure that these things should be a challenge. I’m getting older and if I keep thinking “I’ll do it when I get a bit fitter” I’ll never do it. I worry about stuff before it happens (I like to plan ahead) but once I’m in it I will be determined.

SO it’s a good idea, right? Better try it and fail than never bother…..

Bregante

I asked exactly the same question and got some good advice here
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/way-of-the-roses-c2c-advice

I’m doing it as part of a group of riders with quite mixed ability so in the end I was overruled and we’re now doing it over 3 days at the end of august.

I’d still rather do it in two.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Go for it. 😀

First day, you’ll be up for it and fresh so will be easy. Second day, is the last day so you can just push though if your tired and get it finished without saving any energy for the next day.

I think 2×85 would be easier than 3×55.

cookeaa

Yes! it’s a Good idea, look at it this way you’ve got a whole day (~8 hours?) to cover 85 miles, if your previous best was 65miles in 4hrs so you’ve got twice the time to cover 30% more distance, that is an acheivable challenge to set yourself IMO.

Better try it and fail than never bother…..

That’s the spirit fella!

Bregante

I think 2×85 would be easier than 3×55

This was my argument. Not least because the latter option leaves you 5 miles short! 🙂

curvature
    Free Member

I did it last September with a fairly mixed bunch and we had a great time.

Day 1 – Whitehaven to Penrith. 55miles with 4500ft climbing.
    Day 2 – Penrith to Consett. 65miles with 6500ft climbing. (This was a hard day)
    Day 3 – Consett to Roker. 26miles and hardly any climbs, it seemed to be all downhill.

Looking back we had a great time but Day 3 was a bit of a waste of a day.

We had terrible weather on Day 1 so were glad to stop as it had rained virtually all day with strong winds.

One rider also destroyed a rear hub but the shop at Whinlatter rebuilt it.

Also we all did it on MTB’s with full off road tyres which did make the road climbs a real drag.

Bregante

That’s a different route altogether curvature.

boxelder

Not quite Morecambe to Bridlington curvature……..
    😉

robdob
    Free Member

Bit more detail. I will stay in a nice B and B so will only take a t-shirt/shirts/flip flops apart from the days riding gear. I’ll use a rack and a top box to store it in. I have a handlebar bag but it won’t fit my carbon bars so I’ll just cope without.
    2 water bottles, lots of flapjack, what’s not to like??

robdob
    Free Member

I suppose if weather is bad I will just……..

Man up and cope with it.

Gonna be logging a lot of Strava segments…… 😉

boblo
    Free Member

Are you carrying any gear? There’s a few hills en route so if you are and you’re cycling 20 miles more than you ever have over multiple days, you might find it a bit tough. Nothing wrong with that but just remember to enjoy it. It doesn’t have to be a grovel. 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Just a top box really, with a lightweight change of clothes and a lock. Shouldn’t weigh much at all.

drain

I’ve done the WotR twice and it’s a lovely route (I’ve done the Walney-Whitby and, just last week, the Hadrian’s Wall routes, and it’s the best of those IMO).

First time was with an unfit riding partner, carrying off-the-bike gear staying in BnBs, and the second time was with a group of mixed experience/ability with a support vehicle carrying kit.

Both were done over 3 days, and they all managed the ride fine. I’d’ve loved to do it in two days, it’s very doable. The toughest section for me was from Appletreewick through to Brimham Rocks.

After Ripon it’s nearasdammit flat so you’ll have got the hard work out of the way if you aim for there as your stop after doing Day 1.

One of these might help with your gear carrying?

drain

Looks ideal. Mind yourself on the drop down Greenhow Hill to Pateley Bridge! 😯

robdob
    Free Member

Thanks for the encouragement!!

BenjiM

Me and a mate (Fizzer, of this Forum) did it back in May in a day took about 13 hours including brew stops. We were raising money for North West Air Ambulance. Slight head wind along the way. The finish in Bridlington is a bit disappointing, they could have picked a nicer town to finish in! Tips are pace yourself, keep well fueled, and enjoy the ride. It’s a lovely route.

http://www.strava.com/activities/137146636

Sandwich

That looks like a good day out Benji. Something for me to aim for next year.

butcher

Do it. I reckon you’re thinking along the right lines. Say you set off at 8am. 5 hours may be what you usually consider a long ride. But that only takes you to 1pm. What do you do with the rest of the day? As long as you keep an easy pace and you’re comfortable on the bike, more than likely you’ll be quite happy to continue riding, and still arrive with plenty of time spare to unwind on the evening. I did very similar miles on my first fully loaded multi-dayer and was surprised how easy it was (though it was pretty flat!) I could have happily continued on.

TomB

I did 150 miles in a day, and when I committed to it I’d ridden over 50 miles once. I found that as the rides got longer, as long as I kept to an easy pace and kept eating, I felt I could go forever! 2 days will be fine, if it’s easy it’s not a challenge….

robdob
    Free Member

Thanks again for the encoragement.

Trying not to buy any new stuff for the trip but I needed some new road cleats.

Now I think I need a new jacket…… Maybe some leg warmers too……

robdob
    Free Member

Well I went on a road ride last weekend and did 40 miles and felt like crap – I’ve got problems with my legs/feet which are making me very concerned about doing 85 miles.

Soooooooo… I am going to do the C2C route instead which will be 130 miles total in 2 days. I’ll do it on my tourer rather than my road bike. Much happier with that sort of distance to be honest.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

We dragged a mates girlfriend round the proper C2C route in two days. It’s more of a pacing thing, and picking the right times to have the snack breaks.

Long days, but if you can ride a bike for a few miles then I think it’s do-able.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tell me this is a good idea……..please! (C2C content)’ is closed to new replies.