Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Tell me Orbea Occams are rubbish
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Otherwise I may be about to spend more money…

Did a training day in the lakes this weekend and had an alloy Occam of some description. Absolute revelation after 12 months on a Giant Anthem. Had never really realised that going downhill could be such fun😜

Despite having ridden loads around Grizedale in the past, for some reason I’d never done a few of the excellent techie bridleways, or at least only ridden up them ( yes, I know)

This thing also seemed quite proficient at going uphill too, despite being quite heavy.

Had a whale of a time.

So I’m thinking perhaps a shiny carbon M10 might be the perfect thing for big mountain days. By which I mean big ( mountain days) not (big mountain) days if you see what I mean.

Anyway, is this the holy grail of bikes I’ve been searching for. Something that’ll get me up High Street, Helvelyn and Skiddaw, but also make the downhill fun rather than a chore. Is it light enough to cover that sort of distance/height gain without killing me but also capable enough that I actually enjoy the descents rather than just the [pointless] achievement.

And of course the big question…. Does anywhere actually have them available this side of spring?

scotroutes

I have a 2017 Occam AM – the 27.5 wheel version in carbon. Love it. Easily surpasses my skills on the downs, great on the ups and I’ve used it for bikepacking 300km round the Cairngorms too.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Aaah. Now there’s a very useful snippet of info. Many thanks. Sounds very positive (assuming the 27.5 and 29er are similar)

Cheers

(I seem to remember some other crazy mad fool round your neck of the woods recently bought an Oiz for that mega long type of trip. That wasn’t you was it?

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I have had an M10 (XL) since April and absolutely love it. Best bike I’ve owned, nice and light, rides brilliantly. Have been consistenly beating strava times on every segment I ride on it, both down and up. Mine got the Fox 36 factory upgrade and I think the extra travel out front suits the bike perfectly.

Sorry but I literaly don’t have a bad wod to say about it.  Oh apart from the cheap cr@ppy jagwire gear cable that I had to change out on day 4 for SP41 and an Optislick inner.  Apart from that it’s been flawless.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I know someone who snapped a shock bolt on the old alloy AM model, not the new carbon though!

cheers_drive

Sorry for the hijack but what’s the Occam like on the xc side of trail riding? Split deciding between that and the Oiz TR for flattish trails and trail centres. Im not a light weight myself but I like responsive bikes and too me 150/140 means sluggish for XC

bearGrease

@H1ghland3r
    What height are you for the XL?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

+1

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

6’4″ (193cm), fit is great, good reach, I got the 170mm Orbea dropper (which has been completely fine) and the collar is about 2-3cm above the clamp. It came with a 50mm stem which has been good paired with an uncut OneUp carbon bar (800mm).

I went with 170mm cranks and was glad as the BB is low, even with the shorter cranks I got a few more pedal strikes than I’m used to until I internalised the difference and compensated.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sorry but I literaly don’t have a bad word to say about it.

the BB is low

Ha, gotcha. 😃
    Oh well. The search continues

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Ha, gotcha. 😃

🙂 Very good, except that I don’t consider the low BB to be a bad thing. I’m Tweed Valley based so not exactly rolling around bridleways and I appreciate the extra stability and sense of being ‘in’ the bike rather than on it. This is honestly the first bike I’ve ridden in the … 30 years I’ve been riding mountain bikes that I feel actually fits me properly.

tails
    Free Member

Trail wise I’ve riden everything on mine from lakes to southern trail centres. I’m coming from a hardtail do was blown away how quick it is. I think the carbon comes in fairly light. The alloy ones get complaints about the cassette and headset on the Occam Facebook group. The axle on the back could do with being quick release not hex key. Looks at the changes you can make, tyres, post height etc.

Good bike that can go up and down with speed and well speced.

tails
    Free Member

That’s a good point about the bb. In the peaks zero pedals strikes in the lakes over 6. Could be user error, but in tech climbs you gotta pedal when you need to.

doug_basqueMTB.com

@cheers-dave the Oiz tr is really capable. Really it was so good it pushed the Occam from spanning that XC / Trail fence into the Trail / AM / Light Enduro area. That also pushed the Rallon up from a 150 do it all bike to a 170 bike that suits gnarly trails. I think lots of people get the Occam when the Oiz TR might be better. Same goes for Occam va Rallon. The Occam climbs great but doesn’t have that snap of the Oiz.

Much over 6ft and you’re looking at the XL Occam I think. I’m 5-11 and L. My guide Antonio is a baw hair taller and likes both the L and XL. Borja is 6-2 and likes the XL, he’s got long legs and looks stupid on the L.

I’ve had no issues with the headsets on my aluminum Occam. Depends on conditions maybe? I do open them up and grease fairly often. Same on the axels as I’ve had them stick. The Orbea dropper is bomber, we tend to break droppers and we’ve had them since prototype with the promise of a meal out of we break them… so far no meal!

davros

Had my m30 since may and really enjoying it. 6’1 on a large. I’m still deciding on some lighter wheels. While it’s heavier than I expected it to be, it doesn’t feel it on the climbs. But I did get an xtr cassette to shed some weight. Not sure I’ve found the sweet spot for shock pressure yet. May try a different volume spacer. Definitely had more pedal strikes than on my camber. Fox 34 is awesome. I think with light wheels and components it would serve you well for long days out. With the shock locked out it is very stiff, guessing because it needs such high psi -220psi for 70kg rider!

Maybe the yt izzo would be a good option for the riding you describe as it’s a bit lighter. Or trance 29 if you’re a fan of giant.

martinhutch

Mine even has a built in handle for hike-a-bike. Not sure that feature is available on current models though.

Sorry for the hijack but what’s the Occam like on the xc side of trail riding? Split deciding between that and the Oiz TR for flattish trails and trail centres. Im not a light weight myself but I like responsive bikes and too me 150/140 means sluggish for XC

Not sure this solves it for you but I have an OIZ TR and an Occam AM for my riding.

Oiz gets ridden the most – but mainly for local Dales XC/Bikepacking etc.
    If I’m riding a decently bumpy trail centre, Lakes, Peaks or even Swaledale rocky stuff I take the Occam.

The Oiz copes fine with Lakes riding, but you have to hold back, choose lines a bit more.

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

Dont buy an Occam*.
    Ive taken mine on ~50km xc routes through the Pentlands, down trails at Innerliethen and most recently on a trip to the lakes (Grizedale, Whinlatter, off-piste trails, Grizedale pike, Whiteless pike and Rigg Beck) and i loved every second of it. My only issue is the * below… I do have an Occam with a 36 and DPX2 so its more capable than i will ever be.

*Unless you want to set strava PRs on your regular climbs and descents.

v7fmp

not as much use as people that own them, but I test rode a carbon Occam late last year and it was a really nice bike. Couldn’t really fault it. In the end I went with a Norco Optic, as it was just a little bit more exciting (in my opinion), and have loved every minute of it.

A chum also has an Optic and really enjoys it. I don’t think you can go wrong!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Thanks all. Keep it coming.

Now for the bonus question, any idea of anyone with a large with the 150mm fork and 170 cranks in stock.

scotroutes

Large and 170mm cranks will be a push I think.

kraken2345
    Free Member

I’m pretty much settled on an occam as my next bike (depending on how the soon to be released nukeproof reactor update is) however won’t be able to get one in stock until March-April next year with a cycle to work voucher and a little extra cash.

As a solution I’ve got an orange P7 for the winter, which is a riot!

bearGrease

Thanks @H1ghland3r, you’re a fair bit taller than me.

@doug_basqueMTB.com this is handy info:

Much over 6ft and you’re looking at the XL Occam I think. I’m 5-11 and L. My guide Antonio is a baw hair taller and likes both the L and XL. Borja is 6-2 and likes the XL, he’s got long legs and looks stupid on the L.

I’m 6’1.5″ (wannabe 6’2″) with long legs and was wondering about L or XL. The XL seems “generously” proportioned. It’s longer than my L Whyte 905 which seems fine athough I occasionally wonder if I could have gone XL with that…

bikesandboots

I hired a H30 a few months ago, I found it really good on trail type riding both up and downhill, poor brakes on that base model aside. Had a few pedal strikes while I got used to it, but it had 175mm cranks. Unusually for such a bike, it doesn’t have ISCG mounts though, only bad thing I have to say about it.

charliemort

they’re rubbish

(actually, I have no idea but that’s what you want to hear….)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Tell me Orbea Occams are rubbish’ is closed to new replies.