Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tell me im not being a fool here (car buying)
  • bland

Buying a 7 seater for the wife and she found a corolla Verso she liked. Dealer was honest and said there was a problem with the injectors and that he was replacing them. I drove the car, it was fine till we stopped for fuel then the injector problem began. He has since replaced all 4 injectors but when he was testing it on Saturday the engine warning light came on so back it went to Toyota. I spoke to Toyota yesterday and they were working on a DPF code, they tried two regens but still not playing. They also confirmed the injectors had been replaced (Also seen all 4 new and old ones plus receipt for £1200 personally). Now it seems the DPF is knackered and needs replacing, kind of what i was hoping so he is going to try get one for the best price he can and get it fitted himself as Toyota want £900. Now the car is only £4400 and ive paid a deposit. he will refund me or we can crack on.

I feel somewhat for him (not too much though) as he has been sold a dud when he took it as a trade in. The last owner has only done 1000miles in 12 months in it so i suspect this car has had the problems for a while and no one has wanted to spend the money on it.

Im thinking, great its had the two most likely things to go, go! Would you think the same or run for the hills and find one that does work but could pack in tomorrow and leave me needing to replace 4 injectors and a DPF!

moshimonster
    Free Member

If the rest of the car is good, then I don’t see the problem? Dealer seems to be playing ball too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

guess its fairly low milage too sounds like a little old lady using it to go to church on sundays.

for the 1000 miles in the last year thing i would be warey alone – if the above is true(little old lady) you’ll be thinking about a clutch /DMF/ steering componants as well as bearings and other things that done like being sat un moved. combined with all the other things you mention – i wouldnt be too happy about buying it Injectors and DPFs dont fail for no reason once they are well inside the bathtub failure model.

but if it was cheap……(i dont regard 4400 as cheap)

forget about the dealers feelings , its his job to weed out the crap – and hes been had.

northernmatt

What engine is in it? If it’s the 2.2 D4D T180 engine they have a known problem with injectors, head gasket and other things including DPF.

My brother had one which he did 60k miles in two years in. The DPF went and Toyota reluctantly replaced it under warranty. The head gasket then went which needed replacing, on the Avensis this was an engine out job. Toyota asked for £2k, they ended up doing it under warranty. They did extend the warranty on the engine to 107,000 miles or 7 years to cover these problems so Toyota dealer should be aware of that.

Personally if it is a T180 engined car I’d give it back and go buy something else.

edit: it’s not D4D it’s the D-CAT engine but still badged T180

bland

its the T180!

northernmatt

RUN!

bland

I wasnt aware of the head gasket issue, but now i remember seeing a feint it of white in the oil filler cap when i initially looked at the car so i think ill take your advice.

Petrol it is which is probably far more practical for what she needs and how much it will get used, it will prefer school runs if nothing else.

Cheers for your comments NM

benji
    Free Member

I wasnt aware of the head gasket issue, but now i remember seeing a feint it of white in the oil filler cap when i initially looked at the car so i think ill take your advice.

Lots of little short journeys can do this as well, it does not always mean head gasket. Short journeys would also add to a clogging dpf. Nothing ever gets properly warm.

moshimonster
    Free Member

i remember seeing a feint it of white in the oil filler cap

This is common on lots of cars (especially in the winter) and not usually any issue. But if you are getting paranoid about the car it’s probably best to find something else.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tell me im not being a fool here (car buying)’ is closed to new replies.