Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tell me all about Road groupsets…
  • Duffer
    Free Member

…and how they relate to MTB groupsets.

I’ve been doing a little research into getting a road bike for my 15 mile commute, and i’m struggling to get my head around the road groupsets. For example, i’m looking at the Genesis Equiblibrium, which has Tiagra and 105 kit. Am i right in saying that 105 is somwehere equivilant to XT in MTB terms?

clubber
    Free Member

Dura Ace – XTR
    Ultegra – XT
    105 – SLX
    Tiagra – Deore

…ish

Then don’t forget SRAM and Campag…

sambob
    Free Member

tiagra = deore, 105 = slx, ultegra = XT, dura ace = XTR i think.

EDIT: too slow

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Pretty much

Sora<Tiagra<105<Ultegra<Dura-Ace
    Deore<SLX<XT<XTR

RealMan
    Free Member

105 is slx or lx or whatever its called. Ultegra is xt, dura ace is xtr.

105 is pretty decent kit, tiagra is alright. Fine for a commute I’d say. Don’t worry too much about it.

jonb
    Free Member

Road stuff always feels better in my opinion. My Ultegra stuff is way better and more reliable than XT as it doesn’t get all the mud and crap thrown at it.

Tiagra is more than good enough for a commute. I have a winter bike with SOra (the one below) and it shifts well. The only disadvantage is weight and the shifter on Tiagra nad above being much much better as both up and down is on the brake lever.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Campagnolo
    Mirage<Veloce<Centaur (10 speed)
    Athena<Chorus<Record<Super Record (11 speed)

Sram
    Apex<Rival<Force<Red

Tiger6791

Stay away from Campag stuff!!

It’s the Devils ambrosia!!

stumpyjon

Got a full 105 groupset on my road bike (XT & XTR on the mountain bikes) and as mentionned above the 105 stuff works pretty flawlessly.

crazy-legs

Road stuff lasts forever: Tiagra would be fine for commuting. Ultegra is very much the “race performance on a budget” groupset that XT is on MTBs.

I had a CX bike with Sora for a while and even that worked perfectly in all the mud and crap of CX racing. Heavy but it didn’t matter if it got trashed!

wallop

Do I assume you’re trying to decide between the equilibrium 10 or 20? Nice bike. I just bought the frameset to put my 105/ultegra on. For commuting you probably won’t notice much difference, but check that you can use the shifters when you are riding on the hoods. One of either sora or tiagra, can’t remember which, has weird thumb shifters which are too far down the levers to reach from the hoods.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

di2…..doesnt compare no mtb stuff have been made to shift that well

edhornby

if you are going to be doing a lot of all weather commuting then don’t worry about a flash groupset, sora’s not as bad as some make out

commuting is tougher on a bike than you’d think, the salt in the winter, the dirt and rain, bear in mind that your commuter bike doesn’t get washed and relubed after rides like a mountain bike may have

wallop – sora has the inboard thumbshifters, the STI units (brake and gears) are the one pants bit on sora imo

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tell me all about Road groupsets…’ is closed to new replies.