Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Tell me all about… kneepads (Kyle Straits replacement content)
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s finally happened – my Kyle Straits need replacing. They’re now chafing every ride and – TBH – starting to fall apart, so it’s time to relegate them to emergency duties.

So, on that note, I need to hunt for some more kneepads that are comfortable enough to ride all day in, but tough enough to take a few knocks. Slim is nice, but not essential. I like the look of the Fox Launches, but they seem to be discontinued, and I’ve tried TLD Bones, which I didn’t like.

Other than that I’m keen to hear other options.

Whatcha got?

messiah
    Free Member

I hate wearing knee-pads but wanted some for the Trans-Savoie – after exhausting research I went for the “Rolls-Royce” option and bought some Scott Grenade… they were/are brilliant; at a price though 🙄

Bonus is I now no longer hate wearing knee-pads :mrgreen:

sm
    Free Member

I brought these and they have felt great so far.

Race Face Ambush Knee D3O Guard 2013

nickjb
    Free Member

Have the kyles always chaffed? If they were fine before and only started chafing when they started to wear out then why not just get another pair.

prezet
    Free Member

I had Kyle Straights – didn’t fancy the new Rage thingy’s – so went with the Fox pads. Glad I did, really comfy and a bit less bulky than the Straights.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

@Messiah Scott Grenades were going to be my first choice. 🙂 Are they particularly bulky?

@sm I’ve always been dubious of D30 – love the idea, but how do you think it would react if it struck something sharp? I live in the flnty sarf and have seen plenty of sliced knees (hence wearing knee pads).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

@nickjb – No, just recently after 2/3 years of regular use. I may do – just fancied seeing what else there is out there, especially as the Straits have been discontinued.

@prezet – That’s what I’ve been told too. How much did you pay for yours, out of interest?

teasel
    Free Member

I just picked-up a pair of the Launch Pros from CRC and I noticed a few other places have them in stock. They’re okay – very nice fitting pad on my legs, and although they have more side padding than, say, the TLD 5400s, they don’t get too hot.

TLD 5400 are supremely comfortable to pedal in but are getting thin on the ground nowadays. Again, I recently grabbed a few pairs while in stock…

prezet
    Free Member

Can’t remember the price now, but they weren’t too pricey – did a bit of googling around for best offer. The sizing is a bit odd though, I had medium Straits but needed the L/XL Foxes. Luckily I ordered one of each size and sent the other pair back for a refund.

teasel
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pros still available HERE and HERE.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

endura mt500

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

+1 for the Launch Pro’s – very comfortable, love mine!

sprocker
    Free Member

Nuke proof are the only reasonably comfy ones for me out of the 5 I have tried.

andyt1054
    Free Member

Pocs every time for me. Expensive yes, but I’ve always found them to be fit and forget for any length of ride.

jemima
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the new 661 Evo pads. Wear them all day if I need to very comfortably. They seem more durable than previous 661 pads too.

flyingmonkeycorps

I have some Bluegrass ones. D30 Bobcats I think. Same as you, had some Kyle Straits which died, and after trying a few these were the comfiest. The nice thing is they sit slightly off your knee, so no rubbing there at all.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Cheers teasel. A few mates ride with 5400s and they look great – I anticipate them being a ‘need to try on’ purchase. The local shop were matching CRC, but only had a few in stock. Could be worth a visit.

Thanks for the tip prezet.

spocker – Out of interest, what else have you tried?

andyt1054 – How have you found longevity of POC kit? A good friend (and national level DHer) bought a load of POC when it first hit these shores. He loved it for comfort and protection, but it fell apart very quickly (as in ‘a few months’ quickly).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Did you ever ride in Kyle Straits jemima? Be interested to know how the fit compares.

Cheers FMC – I’ll check them too.

Si
    Free Member

Set of Race Face Khyber’s for sale in excellent condition in the classifieds… Make me an offer!!

Race Face Knee Pads here…

jemima
    Free Member

No, although I used to use Chicken wings which if I recall were quite similar looking. Was large in them and Evos. But the Evo is a much slimmer and neater package and feel like they fit much better. Conform to the leg and knee as opposed to bulging out and what not.

coogan
    Free Member

Had Straits and used the Fox Launch in Spain this year, were great and very comfy. But sweaty, but it was flipping roasting!

jamiep
    Free Member

I find G-Form comfortable even after a whole day, although you might be after something with more coverage

messiah
    Free Member

@Messiah Scott Grenades were going to be my first choice. Are they particularly bulky?

I don’t find them bulky but I don’t have a lot of experience with others to compare them with.

Action shot 8)

I had no chaffage in the week of tough use and they took a few hits with no damage to them or me… so they get my approval.

banks
    Free Member

Where are people getting scott grenade pads from please?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Thanks all. Time to pay a visit to the LBS and hunt online for some deals.

Si – I would offer, but I have limited things that go with orange… 😉

Messiah – cheers for that. Nice pic BTW! Getting all the travel out of that Nic!

jemima – sounds promising. I’m a medium with the Straits, but can wear my other half’s smalls. A slimmer, more contoured fit sounds like a winner.

banks – no idea, but if you find a deal please let me know!

jedi

i prefer the scott rocket pads. d30 pads are not my fave as they form to the ground and rip down off your knee.
    hard shell all the way

the original scott hard cap pads were called grenades now made better but called rocket

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Cheers Jedi – I’m not convinced by D30 for the above reason. And Rockets can be found for £50. I think we may have a winner…

messiah
    Free Member

The newer Grenade with the D30 has normal padding behind the D30 – the older versions did not. I checked on this before buying as I had read Jedi’s comments about the non D30 version of the Grenade being better (than the Pro version with D30).

andyt1054
    Free Member

Had my latest pocs 12 months and theyve had some hammer, a bit grubby looking but still as new. :0)

sprocker
    Free Member

pimpmaster – sorry for the delay I have tried

661 D30 ones (iratated my knee as the d 30 goes hard when you pedal)
    Kyle Straights – to tight
    Fox launch pro – to tight
    Poc (can’t remeber the one) – to tight

and know the nukeproof which seem good (and cheap), most of my problems seem to stem from getting them big enough to fit my legs.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

and know the nukeproof which seem good (and cheap), most of my problems seem to stem from getting them big enough to fit my legs.

😯

Had my latest pocs 12 months and theyve had some hammer, a bit grubby looking but still as new. :0)

Hopefully Rich either got a bad batch, or the build quality is better now. He bought quite a bit and was markedly peeved because nearly all of it started falling apart. 😕 It does look like great kit tho…

However, decision made in the short term – I’ll pop over to the LBS and see what they can do some Rockets for, and go from there.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

zelak999
    Free Member

POC VPD 2.0 for me.
    I’ve had mine years and they are still going strong.
    They’re light and small, i forget I’m wearing them.
    They are expensive but great VFM.

Chainline
    Free Member

@messiaNicolaiiiiiiii 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Tell me all about… kneepads (Kyle Straits replacement content)’ is closed to new replies.