Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Tell me about… Milton Keynes
  • JamesH
    Free Member

So it looks like i’ll be moving moving to Milton Keynes for a new job! 🙂
    I have a few questions for any locals on here

Wheres good/bad to live?
    Any good riding spots around?
    Anything else I should be aware of?

thanks

andyrm
    Free Member

James – used to live there.

Riding-wise Woburn is literally minutes out of town.

Several “avoid” areas:

Netherfield
    Beanhill
    Lakes/South West Bletchley

ransos
    Free Member

Stayed there once for a wedding, in the centre. I went for a walk on the Sunday morning to buy a paper and it appeared to be like one of those sci-fi books where everyone has died except you. Quite literally soulless.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jase
    Free Member

As above (andyrm) but there are a few more avoid areas depending on your level of snobbiness!

Trimix
    Free Member

As above, but on a positive note it does have good amenities and cycle routes that are not painted on the road. You can cycle everywhere and its got good transport links, not far from the Chiltners, Woburn on your doorstep, Chicksands down the road.

So its not all bad.

andyrm
    Free Member

Although Netherfield and Beanhill SHOULD be explored (rapidly and not on a bike), just to see the number of peanut headed freaks! 🙂

lunge

The best description I’ve seen of it is “brilliant in theory”. It has got great amenities and infrastructure, it is close to some riding and is an hour on the train to London. You can cycle everywhere away from the roads as well.

However, the town centre is truly soulless, really dead feeling place.

To work there though there are a huge number of much more appealing places and even the odd nice village within a 30 minute commute.

JamesH
    Free Member

thanks everyone, all good stuff to know

I think i’ll be looking at places in Woburn Sands, Walnut tree and possibly Furzton…

ericemel
    Free Member

I lived there for a number of years and it’s alright – I still have family and friends there and know it really quite well. Really good for *family* life. Loads to do but you do need to drive ALOT.

Personally I would live in Stony Statford in the north a lovely little Victorian Village with restaurants and Pubs and easy access to all the utilities of MK.

I agree with Jase….for me there are a lot more areas to avoid!

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ll add Coffee Hall and Fishermead to the “avoid” list 🙂

You could live in Newport Pagnell or Stony Stratford and commute to MK if you don’t fancy MK itself?

I managed to get ALL Scottish people banned from The Dove in NP for a year (much to the annoyance of my locally residing family). Had a minor dart/customer’s leg interface when very drunk and trying to play “long distance darts”.

Also, someone bounced a pint off my head in the Dolphin. When I say bounced, I mean bounced. They threw it across the room and it didn’t break when it hit me.

I miss MK and NP 🙂 🙄

lunge

Stony Statford, that’s the place I was thinking off, lovely little village, I had a great pub lunch there a while ago!

JamesH
    Free Member

I’ll be working just down from Milton Keynes central station which I why i’m looking at more south easterly places (plus the closer to the riding the better!)
    Any one live/know Woburn sands?

ericemel
    Free Member

My (ex) bro in law lives in the Village of Salford just outside and just bought a place in Woburn – lovely area.

If you are driving to work – you really don’t need to worry about distance – there is no traffic in MK at all – live in an area you like! I lived in Stony Stratford and drove to Woburn in 20 mins (Aspley Guise to be exact) which are opposite ends of the city! With the A5 going through the middle and a lot of the roads 70mph distance/time is not an issue!

My choices other than SS are Woolstones and Woughton on the Green – both lovely areas. Furzton is nice too as is Walnut Tree.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

MK is OK.

The town centre isn’t that soulless and at least there are plenty of shops (although parking is a pita).

Walnut Tree and Woburn Sands are nice places to live – if it’s Walnut Tree live up hill and on the west side – it’s nicerer.

Riding in Woburn is great – but there’s also some good street riding to be had in the town centre of an evening when all the offices are closed.

My car was once shot (air rifle) whilst driving through Coffee Hall – so add that to your list of no go areas.

lambchop
    Free Member

James, I live in Woburn Sands.

rbrstr
    Free Member

Try tillbrook. sensible house prices, and only 1 mile from Woburn sands

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You’re near Woburn Sands, Chicksands and Aston Hill, not to mention all the riding of the Chilterns.

MK also has a good bike-friendly infrastructure and is obviously near the M1, and not too far from the M40.

As for living there? Not a clue. (I used to live in Tring and occasionally work in MK)

willard

Furzton and out near Morrison’s don’t seem like bad places. But then again, I’ve only had to visit there and not live there.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Woburn Sands is really nice, I’m biased as I live there!
    Apparently the local train is supposed to be going direct to central MK in the near future so you can add that to your list of options.

Moved to W/S from SS. SS didn’t live up to my expectations, I always wanted to live there but not so much once I actually go there!
    Not a lot wrong with it though, it’s one of the better places for sure.

Tilbrook is an industrial estate, RBRSTR must be thinking of one of the estates close by. Plenty nice estates at the south of MK. Caldecotte/Old Farm Park etc.

As everyone has said, Woburn woods is great for riding and there are plenty of road clubs locally if that sort of thing blows your skirt up.

jakevrs
    Free Member

the general rule of thumb is avoid anywhere with food or drink in the name:

Beanhill
    Coffee Hall
    Fishermead etc…

I live in Racecourses and commute to near the station by bike everyday. redways make this a doddle and I like having easy access to anything I’d ever want.

Trimix
    Free Member

Oh, and if you like F1 celebs, take note: I bumped into Mark Webber of Red Bull Racing, while riding round Woburn. He did about an hour of mtb’ing then about an hour of running with his personal trainer.

I really hoped I’d ride past him with a flat, whereupon I could call out “no pit crew now Mark”.

br
    Free Member

Traffic is not a problem, as they built it starting with the roads first.

Riding; Woburn, Chicksands, The Chilterns, and lots of other places. Cannock/North Downs/Swinley just over an hour away – so you’ll need a 6″ AM at least 🙂

wingnuts

Lived here ages! Last 6 years in Stony Stratford. Can’t speak highly enough of it. Plenty of events, food, music, and beer. Even a bike shop. (Top end road though) Also like Great Linford. Depends what kind of house you’re looking for. Big road scene and lots of off road groups to suit all levels and times of the week. Several night riding and mid week bunches going out.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

I’ve lived here for 20 odd years (and have also lived in London and a few other places too, so I think I can make a fair comparison).

It’s not at all soulless, and is a fantastic place for family life. The only real difference to other places is that it’s spread over a large area so you can’t get about on foot. Not having a selection of pubs that can be walked to is the main drawback for me, unless you live in one of the outskirt villages like Stony Stratford or Newport Pagnell.

Those who criticise the place tend to be those who only visit for a few days, or have seen a picture of the concrete cows in TV.

The areas to avoid are generally the ones that immediately border the centre, with a few exceptions. The nicer areas tend to be those that are slightly further out. I’ve lived in Great Holm, Two Mile Ash, Downs Barn (not great), Blue Bridge, Wavendon Gate, Deanshanger (one of the outer villages), Furzton and now live out on the western tip in Oxley Park, which is really nice.

As mentioned, plenty riding in Woburn without the need for a car – even from the far side of MK it’s only about 30 mins by bike.

JamesH
    Free Member

This is all great stuff 🙂

quite partial to a bit of road riding and big F1 fan, so that’s all good!

Only looking for a flat to rent, so lots of options.
    Not entirely sure about having a car… was hoping I could get everywhere by bike or train.

Jase MK, I think Furzton is on my shortlist, is it nice? the big lake looks good

people form Woburn sands, is shopping done in MK, or are there any supermarkets in the town?

superlurch
    Free Member

I lived in Furzton for four years a few years ago… it was unlike any other place I’ve lived. Soulless is a common description but I think that maybe a bit harsh… I’m just used to places with a bit more ‘character’. I think if you meet the right people anywhere can be a good place to live and I had a great time living there.

Personally, I’d look at Stony Stratford and over at the Northampton side maybe Castlethorpe or Hanslope but that’s because I feel more at home in 1900 terraces than new builds.

Back when I was there you could get the best chicken Kebabs in the country from a van in a lay by in Shenley Church End! 8)

grahamg
    Free Member

Condolences..

ericemel
    Free Member

JamesH – in MK you need a car. Seriously.

If you are single and want a night life I would serious consider living in the centre at the Hub or similar.

Jase
    Free Member

Woburn Sands has a few smallish supermarkets (co-op I think) but Tesco and other shops are on a retail shopping place 2 miles away.

Furtzon ok, there are a few small parts that look a bit grim (IMO) but you’ll get that with most places.

lambchop
    Free Member

Woburn Sands has a small Co-Op which is notorious for it’s high prices and miserable staff! Other than that it’s mainly hairdressers and charity shops. There’s a big Tesco’s about a mile and a half away in Kingston.

Other areas in this corner of MK worth looking at are Wavendon Gate, Old Farm Park, Brownswood, Caldecotte, Walton Park, Kents Hill and Walnut Tree although Walnut Tree is a bit rough, especially near the local shops.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

erm….it has a Costco.

ericemel
    Free Member

Condolences..

That the biggest prob with MK – other people don’t see it for the positives only negatives.

wingnuts

The car thing has to be thought about carefully. Most areas can be accessed on the Redways, so it nice to ride around. BUT its a big place! 15 minutes (even in rush hour) can get you almost anywhere in a car here; but that could be 15 miles. Where you work/live would have to be the determining factor. Most of the food supermarkets are on the edge and Tesco/Woburn Sands is a reasonable bike option. You only go to the centre for nightlife/clubs/films/theatre/clothes shopping, not daily supplies.

Pigface
    Free Member

Some excellent bike shops in or near MK.

Moses

My daughter lived there for a year and coped quite well, living in Broughton. She bought a car after a while, though.
    Ride with Nmbc Mtb (facebook page) – Northfield Mountain bike club. Regular runs, they’ll show you around.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve lived here in various areas for 10 odd years and I love it , having lived in Scotland, Wales , Watford etc . Avoid the mentioned areas , I’m in Walnut Tree now , and I’m sure you will end up agreeing 🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

I’ve lived all over the country and MK is brilliant. We’re not moving.

Loads (hours and hours) of singletrack in Woburn, fab road riding in the quiet lanes to the east or west, great running through the parks (I can do a 10k run from my house crossing only one road, and 9.75 k is in parkland, passing the concrete cows), great theatre, music, easy access for shopping, easy access to London (30 mins on fastest train).

As with all large towns there are places to avoid. The oldest estates are tired and have problems. Big new ones, like Furzeton, are nice but can be a bit quiet if you’re single IMO. As stated above, if you’re on your own, go for the Hub.

There’s some real detail in here if you’re keen The estates are ranked in order, with 1 being lowest. Avoid Beanhill…

marko75
    Free Member

I live in a small village outside MK – been here for 7 years now and its not too bad. Local pub scene is good as well as the music scene….. central milton keynes (CMK) is good in the winter as its shopping indoors! As for riding – woburn is great….. i joined Cyclone MBC and they are a great bunch and have regular rides 🙂

JamesH
    Free Member

This is ace, so much information. Thanks everyone!

I’ve changed my mind about a car, looks like i might be commuting into London a couple of times a week so would be handy to have.

I’m going to have a look round next week, see whats what. 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about… Milton Keynes’ is closed to new replies.