Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tell me about your Transit Connect
  • sharkattack

I’m interested in the old, ugly ones. I’ve been looking at these for a while as I need a cheap bike carrying, camping vessel. I was in the process of saving up for something decent but due to a change at work I ‘need’ something sharpish and I don’t want to blow too much money.

So I’m looking at mk1 facelifts like this one- eBay link

I could see and hopefully test drive that one any day this week. I know you can get them cheaper but they usually look like they’re at Death’s door. This one is unusually clean, one owner from new, and for bonus points it’s not white. Unfortunately it’s a SWB so still no chance of squeezing a YZ125 in the back. I didn’t realise how much rarer the LWB, high roof version was.

All it really needs to do is keep my bikes out of sight, offer emergency sleeping room and give me a maximum of 1 year trouble free motoring. I’ll only use it once or twice a week but it’ll be long journeys.

So is there anything I need to know? Should I look for any problems in particular? If it’s available for a test drive today I’ll give it some abuse.

Thanks!

klunky
    Free Member

I had one and really liked it. The sills can be trouble for rust but easy to check.
    The bulkhead protrudes allot in to the back so you may want to remove it for more space or get an after market one.

I had one for a couple of years with around 40k on the clock and it was trouble free.

Only negative was the power if it bothers you. I had a 1.8 turbo diesel and boy was it slow.

I actually took it to a garage as I thought the turbo was faulty only to be laughed at and told that’s how they are!

mick_r
    lerk
    Free Member

I had a later mode L2 after a vivaro and kept it for less than a year.

What should be a much nicer place to drive just wasn’t – cheap seats, rubbish engine, nasty gearbox and shocking visibility.

Added to that, the middle seat is a waste of time as it’s too narrow, yet because of that, the passenger gets an utterly horrific seat to match.

Even the L2 (lwb) version required bikes to be packed with front wheel turned.

The connect is not classed as a Car Derived Van so you’ll have to stick to Van speed limits too.

Other than height restrictions which were rarely an issue, I’d have a proper van over the mini-one any day.

tthew

Some of them come with a mesh bulkhead which folds out of the way and dropping passenger seat. You’d probably get your motorbike in that version, at the expense of having a passenger.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What’s the collective name for a group of mk1 transit connects…… A rust.

Assuming it has an mot. Check it over with a. Fine tooth comb.

Do not believe that because it’s covered in underseal that it’s solid not protected.

Transit owners everywhere would struggle to believe ford could make something rust quicker than the regular transit but their design engineers managed it with the original connect.

sharkattack

I’ve just been to see it got a pretty long test drive. I’ll sum up what I can remember…

GOOD STUFF

It’s in surprisingly good condition. No visible rust. Arches and sills are solid. Average amount of crust on wishbones and roll bars etc.

It drives perfectly. Pulls surprisingly well. Steering and brakes are sharp, gearbox is slick. Two proper seats up front so a comfy perch for the passenger. Interior, seats and dash are spotlessly clean. All the buttons and switches work.

One private owner. It’s clearly had a very easy life compared to the average builders van. Condition of loading bay and bungee cords etc means it’s probably only been used for bikes or something similar already.

MOT history is all good. Only ever failed on a broken brake light.

BAD STUFF

No trace of any service history, receipts or anything. Probably needs a full service and cam belt for piece of mind.

Loads of blue smoke on start up. Completely disappeared once up to temperature even though I revved its nuts off. Could that be something expensive or terminal?

Rear tracking has killed the edge of the near side tyre.

Complete lack of history should be a deal breaker. But for the price of the van and a full once over at my favourite garage I’d be up and running for about 3500. Than I’d have a bike carrier that still cost less than my bike. I think I’m gonna sleep on it, we can come back after work any day.

mlltt

Had a look at vauxhall combos? Cheaper and don’t seem to rust

doom_mountain

I had one for a couple of years, great little van. Didn’t cost me anything apart from service. It drove well enough and was quick enough for me, 1.9 diesel. I got an ex fleet van that had been used by an accountacy firm, so it was really clean and hadn’t had a tough life.

I had the folding mesh bulkhead, gave just enough length for sleeping in the back. Was pretty cramped though, I’m glad I now have a bigger van.

I could get a large Smuggler in the back just with turned handlebars.

mattbee

Seems expensive to me.
    I bought a 2010 SWB Trafic 2.5 last October for £2.5k. Took bulkhead out and fitted windows/insulation and some racking for work, all for sub 3k.
    It has got relatively high mileage at 185k but drives well and is far more versatile than the smaller cans are without being too big.

sharkattack

Sorry I’m only looking at small vans. I need something that fits snugly on the drive and something that the Mrs. can use for work when we sell her daily. Once she’s sorted with a sensible replacement and I’m done with my off site work commitments, we’ll sell up and get back on track for ‘ultimate camper project’.

And yeah, I did look at Combo’s as I had a mate who was selling one. It was painfully, gutlessly slow with an engine that sounded like it was trying to escape and the seats seemed small and rock hard. I’m sure there are nicer ones out there.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oil issue will be injector seals, relatively easy to do provided you can pull them. One of my engines has had the same problem for years, never been an issue.

Mesh bulkhead is good.

Works Connect has done pretty well, no major rust to speak of and we’re right next to the sea. Just don’t chip any paint or the whole lot will be rotten inside a year.

sharkattack

I’ve been Googling the blue smoke problem and apparently they all do it especially when they’ve been sitting for a while. I think a full new seal kit is less than £20. If it blows up I’ll just sit and cry in the corner.

This might be a goer! Going to price up a full service and cam belt etc. tomorrow and see if there’s any flexibility on the price.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your Transit Connect’ is closed to new replies.