Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Tell me about your toasters
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m sick of mine bought it recently and it’s an abomination. It toasts bread really slowly so you end up with proper dusty, fall apart, French style toast.

I’m after a fast browning toaster that makes proper chewy toast. Any recommendations please?

DezB
    Free Member

This is STW, so I’m expecting a few Dualits, Graefs and other toasters over £300…

jekkyl

Toaster: Howdy doodly do. How’s it going? I’m Talkie, Talkie Toaster, your chirpy breakfast companion. Talkie’s the name, toasting’s the game. Anyone like any toast?

Lister: Look, I don’t want any toast, and he doesn’t want any toast. In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. No toast.

Toaster: How ’bout a muffin?

Lister: Or muffins. Or muffins. We don’t like muffins around here. We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and definitely no smegging flapjacks.

Toaster: Aah, so you’re a waffle man.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    willard

Buy cheap, pay twice. Wife and I flashed the cash on a Dualit and it’s been awesome for the five years it’s been in use.

We had a four slice one at work and that got a lot of toast-related abuse from the whole floor (40-odd techies that like toast) and lasted for about six years before it needed a service. And yes, you can service them.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I haven’t got a toaster

DezB
    Free Member

Yay! 😉

binners

I believe what you need is a log burner 😉

maxtorque

Idly browsing Ebay the other day i noticed that CNC machine parts and small lasers have got a lot cheaper recently.

CNC Laser toaster anyone??

😉

prawny

I’ve got a morphy richards one, it toasts bread to the standard I expect, which is, if I’m honest, warm, slightly dry bread.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Longevity and so forth are not of massive importance to me, I just want a toaster that delivers steaky toast, seared outsides warm middle – I like my toast rare!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stainless steel kenwood Most important feature is its 4 slice end to end which means it takes plain bread and pitta breads without only toasting half at a time.

Its more than 10 years old as i bought it when i was still at school…..

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve had a breville 4 slice one for about 7 years. It works fine. My girlfriend also had one before we moved in together and hers stood up to four years of shared houses and is still going strong at one of her friends house.

It looks like this but covered in welded on jam and kitchen grime:

edit: and according to this link it’s also a VTT model, appropriately for here.

SaxonRider

Mine toasts a Wallace and Gromit picture onto one side of each slice. And it’s bright orange.

Works for me!

ChrisL

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFTmD6GgdSs[/video]

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Got kids? Perfect.

theotherjonv

we got a dualit for a wedding gift, and it’s still going strong after 13 years. Much like the ‘how often are you getting it’ thread I put this down to a bit of TLC when needed, i regularly give it a clean, ensure there aren’t any crumbs or sticky substances trapped in any of the slots, and the old girl’s more than happy to accept my piece and work her magic on it before popping it out 90 seconds later when it’s done*

* This bit’s a lie, Dualit’s have a manual popup, and you have to watch it like a hawk. The process is more like:

cold bread
    watching
    coldbread
    watching
    slightly warm bread
    watching
    slightly warmer bread
    still watching
    warm bread
    still watching
    warm bread
    tiniest distraction
    burnt to a crisp.

[edit] and don’t start me on those hotel conveyor belt toasters, where the heat / speed setting has been adjusted to be deliberately difficult

thestabiliser
    Free Member

£300 toaster and it doesn’t even pop up???? FFS.

Big windows on that shop, lad.

Bruce

Turn on grill, put toast on grill pan, watch toast turn over when done to your satisfaction.

juanking

Dualit here, over priced rubbish. Never again.

cranberry
    Free Member

£300 toaster and it doesn’t even pop up???? FFS.

Do you like cold toast ? The point with the Dualit being that the toast stays nice and well, toasty, inside the toaster until you eject it, rather than popping up and cooling down.

What I like about the Dualits is that if the toaster was made after some point in the 1950’s then you can get replacement elements for it. Sturdy, hard wearing, unfussy – they are the toaster world’s version of the IBM PS2 keyboard.

kayak23

Asda one here. I use it on 7 but it goes up to 10!
    Amazing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Buy cheap, pay twice.

I could buy about 20 normal toasters for the price of a Dualit. At the current rate of consumption they would last me around 200 years.

And they would all pop up automatically.

What I like about the Dualits is that if the toaster was made after some point in the 1950’s then you can get replacement elements for it.

Normal toasters use nichrome wire which is £1.09 for 5 metres on ebay…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I LOVE cold toast, at least comparative to burnt toast.

Ahhh, the old ibm ps2 eh? Summer evenings, wandering through the barley, laughing and singing, watching the sun set over the abbatoir*, what days, what days.

Ninja edit: abbatoir (noun) where abba goes to die

yoshimi

Breville 4 slice job, £50 when new…15 years ago, still makes toast

Saccades
    Free Member

5 mins on the george for toast, 8 for toasties.

Added bonus if you haven’t been arsed to clean it after whatever meat has been on there is that all the fat goes onto the toast.

manfood!

AlexSimon

I like my toast the same as the OP
    I tried a few expensive ones (Dualit, Magimix and another I can’t remember).
    They were rubbish.
    Bought a £4.99 one from tesco/sainsbury (can’t remember which) and it’s equally rubbish (but no worse).

I can just about get them all to play ball, if I pre-heat the toaster before manually dropping my bread in.

What I really want is my mum’s old cannon gas grill that I gave away when I moved to this house (sob sob).

stumpy01

We’ve got a Phillips one that we bought as a set – matching kettle & toaster.

The LEDs (yep, the buttons have blue LEDs!) on one side stopped working after a stupidly short amount of time. But it still works fine.
    It’s actually a great toaster – doesn’t take too long drying the bread to a dusty crisp, doesn’t nuke the bread so it’s always burnt, and the knob that controls how brown it ends up seems to have enough adjustment to actually work. We’ve had previous toasters where 1-4 all did the same level of toasting (not enough), then 5-10 all did the same level of toasting (burnt to a crisp) leaving barely any actual adjustment.

It’s these two:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4234030.htm
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4228792.htm

MikeG

I got a dualit architect from costco a few months ago when they were £45 , much better than the tefal one it replaced.
    It does lovely consistent toast from the first slice and pops up!

Woody
    Free Member

was given one of a few months back. Works very well.

grum
    Free Member

We got one of these Dualits for free in return for test driving a Honda. 🙂

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualit-26205-Toaster-Black-Finish/dp/B003MVYQWM/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1385401522&sr=1-5&keywords=dualit+toaster

It’s a bit more plasticy than the classic looking ones but it does pop up, and has lasted longer than any other toaster we’ve owned. Only annoying thing is if you do two rounds the second one toasts quicker/more.

GJP
    Free Member

A Rowlett here ( if spelt correctly). Cost about £160 12 years ago still going strong. If it goes for another 4 years or so it will have been a sound investment 😆

Markie
    Free Member

We have one of these. Works great unless your bread is unevenly cut / frozen unflat / fat in which case you’ll be unable to use the lever to get it out and it will burn. So basically, wonderful for perfectly cut bread, otherwise…

tiggs121
    Free Member

Cheap Asda Toaster here – £15 – does a simple job well. £300 is just silly!

scotroutes

I wish…

AlexSimon

Where did the £300 thing come from!? The Dualits are £115 for a 2-slice and £149 for a 4-slice.

ononeorange

Actually, a big ambition of mine is to have one of those glorious hotel conveyor belt jobs. I can spend hours playing with one at a hotel buffet style breakfast.

petefromearth

For some reason I now have a massive craving for crappy hotel buffet breakfast! It’s been a while…

My vote goes to magimix. Really solidly made, takes chunky bread and dings when it’s done

Dualit are a design classic, spare parts easy to come by, but they only take skinny square bread, and because it doesn’t pop I find I walk off and forget, and by the time I remember it’s gone cold!

breadcrumb

Do you like cold toast ? The point with the Dualit being that the toast stays nice and well, toasty, inside the toaster until you eject it, rather than popping up and cooling down

LOL!

Really, that’s the best thing?

We’ve got a four slice stainless steel Kenwood jobby, 3 years old. Toasts bread.

OP is it not the type of bread that’s giving your crappy toast?

DezB
    Free Member

Woody – Member
    was given one of a few months back. Works very well.

Looks like a right smug git, that toaster 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your toasters’ is closed to new replies.