Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Tell me about your midlife crisis
  • ourmaninthenorth

Inspired* by the getting older thread and my own reaction to being 40 next year (I need to be 39 first), it got me thinking that now’s about the time for a midlife crisis.

As I’ve alluded to elsewhere, I’ve had to knock the cycling on the head. It was something that always took up a lot of my time (both doing, thinking and talking about it) and I’m now facing a need to fill the gap.

So I mentioned in passing to Mrs North that I’m thinking of buying an old Lotus Elise as a second car. I figured I’d get in the pre-emtive reference to an MLC, when she retored that “You’ve been in crisis for years”. Apparently suggesting that a car was better than an affair didn’t soften the blow quite as well as I’d expected.

So, go on, share your own MLCs.

*so to speak

onandon
    Free Member

Also 39 and don’t feel one coming soon.
    Already buy stupid stuff like cars etc so not really too sure what I’m supposed to do ?

Just don’t be the 40ish year old in a convertible with a huge gut and bald head, it isn’t a good look. ( regardless of age )

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well I’m a bit early with mine – only 30. Me and my GF are packing in work and buggering off round the world next year.

michaelbowden

Biking has been a life long crisis.

Cars too, the current one is beautiful to be in but horribly greedy, expensive to maintain and insure. Oh and has about 300+ horsepower more than you can ever need on the road.

I’m very close to giving up the office career and going back to fixing/looking after cars, though the will be vintage/classic race cars this time rather than new. It’ll ruin the bank account, my back (again, not to mention the finger nails don’t you know.

But I’ll be happy!

I hope.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think my impending MLC will probably involve pilates or maybe yoga.

Tracey

This years MLC

Spent three and a half great weeks in the Alps with them

ThePinkster

It’s funny but I’m 50 next year and still haven’t had a midlife crisis.

which is a shame, I feel like I’m missing out on something. 🙁

wrecker
    Free Member

NICE CAMPER!!!
    I want one!

ourmaninthenorth

So far, so safe: cars, bikes, campers, career change, men doing yoga*….

*don’t worry, that’s on my “to start” list.

Sam

Also 40 next year, I fear I may be due another after having my first one in my early 30s – started a bike company…

Yak

If I was to pick a MLC sport to start afresh, I’d go for paragliding.
    Not planning a MLC just yet though, despite also turning 40 next year.

carlphillips
    Free Member

I took up skateboarding again (I can’t afford an expensive MLC) its funking ace fun and a lot cheaper than mtb and a great workout.

I took up yoga and it injured my wrist, still recovering from an operation on 2nd june! beware the over extended wrist as my surgeon said he sees loads of similar injuries requiring surgery!

Yak

I do keep musing over a return to climbing too. It’s just really time consuming, so maybe I’ll leave this sort of additional activity for an age 50 MLC, body withstanding.

RustySpanner

Long hair (think mid-trial Phil Spector).

Marriage.

Possibly a Surly, if anyone wants to buy a kidney with all the effectiveness of an old tea bag.

onandon
    Free Member

STOP- actually, for some of us not having a mid life crises. Maybe this IS our midlife crisis – playing with bikes and arguing with strangers on Internet forums.

Oh my god, how shit would that be if this is all my brain can come up with as an hormonal celebration.

Depressed now, think I’ll buy a convertable ….
    Oh bollox

NZCol

Bought Porsche, got rid of Partner, started again.

It was a good time.

seavers
    Free Member

Bought a Lotus Elise 111s when I was 33. Enjoyed it for a couple of years then got rid. Zero regrets, lots of smiles.

anagallis_arvensis

I always wanted to do the Continental Divide Trail but my hips are shot to shit so I never will. So instead I am planning to do the Trans America motorbike route in the next few years.

Bregante

Does a mid-life crisis have to involve blowing a shitload of money?

If it does then it looks like I’m going to live until I’m 120 😕

peterfile
    Free Member

men doing yoga*….

*don’t worry, that’s on my “to start” list.

Yoga is a game changer. I hate all these new aged, yanktastic, only-saying-it-because-it-will-make-me-sound-trendy type people…but yoga does really seem to fix quite a few things that you wouldn’t expect it to.

jam-bo

I’d love to skate again but it injured me more than any other sport…

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I joined the fire service at 40. Bit of an eye opener doing my BA training with lads who were for the most part not much more than half my age, but it beats playing golf!

Moses

She was French.
    She made me miserable.
    She is now a lecturer at the Sorbonne.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I’ve not even had my teenage rebellion yet let alone the MLC -really feel like I’ve missed something–59 BTW 🙁

leffeboy

Well having been on here a while a feel I should really take up coke and hookers but I suspect that either by themselves would be enough to kill me now.

shermer75
    Free Member

lemonysam – Member
    Well I’m a bit early with mine – only 30. Me and my GF are packing in work and buggering off round the world next year.

Brilliant. Nice one!! 🙂

gonefishin
    Free Member

Turned 40.
    Dated lots.
    Lost Weight.
    Hit the gym.
    Got a motorbike.
    Got a tattoo.

I should point out that I was single at the time!

mos

‘current one is beautiful to be in but horribly greedy, expensive to maintain’, sounds like our lass!

franksinatra

Timely thread this. Just in the past couple of weeks I think I have started to get the early symptoms of MLC. Lack of satisfaction at work, generally bored, worried that this is it until I retire, late night eBay window shopping (camper vans, boats, Land Rovers, sport cars)

Limiting factors are young kids, need to maintain my salary and I can’t be bothered with an affair.

I need a focus so happy to see what others are up to.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Get yourself a decent disease that may limit your lifespan, that’ll take your mind of any MLC and make you live every day for the day…tomorrow will bring what it brings!

vickypea
    Free Member

I had mine at 39 when I started MTB

ourmaninthenorth

Get yourself a decent disease that may limit your lifespan, that’ll take your mind of any MLC and make you live every day for the day…tomorrow will bring what it brings!

Quite so. Carpe diem.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@Jambo, old man skate night at Prime in Plymouth on Monday nights, tis great fun, but ye I hear you on the injuries, I definitely don’t bounce as well as I used to, but like it too much to give up for a while, I just built a 10ft wide by 3ft6 high x 24 ft long mini ramp in the back garden……tis ace!

MoreCashThanDash

I appear to be sharing my MLC with franksinatra up there ^^^^^

He can do the Land rover part if I can try the coke and hookers

bearnecessities

I’ve decided recently to try to get a six pack, at what is probably the latest point in my life it’s possible. It will impress nobody but me, so in that vein it’s pathetic enough to count as a MLC.

I drive an Insigia and work for the Government, so a 911 isn’t an option.

Pass me the broccoli.

EDIT: Slightly seriously, I am happily single with no kids – but the kind of opposite of what I really want, so my MLC may not be a true one…what I really want is a kind,sane and reasonably solvent woman with huge norks that wants kids – time’s running out though, so I’ll just concentrate on stupid & unimportant goals in the meantime 🙂

JonBoy
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a Cannondale Slate. Its got purple cranks. That will do for now.

spud-face

Think I may have an inverted one: mid thirties, now learning to drive, trying to turn my job into a career, enthusiastically helping my partner’s kids with their homework and teaching them arts and crafts, rarely have chance to cycle and no interest in going on the lash. It’s ace!

#edit# compared to being a single heavy drinking waster it’s crucifyingly expensive – I set my life up to avoid ambition, but they’re worth the perspective change

chudsy
    Free Member

I seem to have just discovered mine at 38, had a BMX taster at the National Cycle Centre last week and I’m going again tomorrow night.

tang
    Free Member

I was 40 this year and it’s been great and awful in equal measure. I have got 2 new bikes and ones a custom, both slathered in nice stuff. Had an old friend (a beautiful loaded Sloane ranger) try to steal me away (I’m married) which I resisted politely.
    Put on a race, went for a drink with Chris King, made some money from cycling, got sponsored by Saddleback.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your midlife crisis’ is closed to new replies.