• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by wl.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tell Me about….. Squamish BC!
  • earl_brutus

Im lucky enough to be sent to work in Vancouver for a few weeks this month and will be able to take my weekends at leisure so I’m thinking to go to |Squamish and fancy some MTB.. Anyone been? is it easy to navigate the trails? Ill have a car and will probably take my own bike but looking at rentals too… All advice appreciated.

colp

Bearbackbiking lives there I believe, might be worth a PM

BearBack
    Free Member

There are a couple of us on the forum living here.

The riding is great, the council have just installed a number of community hubs with bike wash/tool stations to try and encourage parking away from residential areas.

There are a few rental companies in town. Flying spirit, Biking in Squamish and squamish adventure co.

Trails are well signed and trail forks is pretty well up to date. Don’t forget to donate to SORCA!

Squamish is best as creating a journey through the trails rather than hitting single feature trails imo.

Its turned into a destination in its own right and getting busier every year and loosing some of its small town and ‘undiscovered charm’ but I’ve lived here 11 years now, and certainly wouldn’t move anywhere else.

matt_outandabout

I was there with mrs_oab about 19 years ago – and loved every minute! Squamish was the highlight of the trip for me. Walked to top of the chief, climbed up the apron (thanks to the  bunkhouse being full of climbers) and some ace pedalling. Much, much better place than ToyTown up the road…I would love to re-visit – and seeing as eldest_oab wants a working season out there in 2020, I think we may be…

sweaman2
    Free Member

Download trailforks and that makes it super easy to navigate.

Start on the blues before heading for the blacks – A sea to sky blue is not as easy as blues in other places.

If you’re planning on staying overnight look into accommodation ahead of time.  It’s pretty busy with Vancouverites heading up for the weekend.

If you’re in Vancouver don’t forget the Northshore as well.

earl_brutus

Sounds like a deal maker then.. ill probably book a hotel and make a couple of two day weekends of it!

vmgscot

Definitely YES, was there with GF year before last and we had a great few days.

We used Trailforks and found everything we wanted to ride easy enough and well signed. Some of the trails proved too much for us (very steep slabs). We only hit the well-known stuff as we only had 3 days there.

wl
    Free Member

Best mate lives there so I’ve been a few times for biking over the last 10 or so years.  It’s great – loads to go at, easily accessible by pedalling from accommodation in the town itself. Plenty of different stuff to ride, from easy to mental, just depends what you’re into.  Some stuff was pretty easy to find when I was last there, although some I wouldn’t have found without my mate to guide me.  Like Bearback says – the town has changed a lot in recent years – mostly because it’s filling up with rich folk selling up for small fortunes in Vancouver.  Them and trendy ‘lifestyle’ Instagram types, living out of swanky vans.  My mate talks about moving to somewhere further inland and less gentrified/fashionable/branded.  He’s still there now though, so it can’t be that bad…yet.

Have a blast – sure you’ll love it.  And check out Whistler, Pemby, Bralorne, Chilcotins, North Shore etc too, if you have time/dosh. Float plane to Warner Lake then ride back is also well worth the effort. Nelson is also ace, but around 8 hours by car from ‘Squampton’.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tell Me about….. Squamish BC!’ is closed to new replies.