• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tell me about Specialized Roubaix
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

Are they the Bently of the bike world? Or can they still be fast as well as comfortable?

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve seen one ridden fast if that helps. Not ridden one myself. Do have a Diverge with the Future Shock which is really good both on and off road.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I really didn’t want to like the fugly steerer condom, but it works.

I really didn’t want to like the fugly picnic box, but it works.

I really didn’t want to like the fugly riser drop bars, and I don’t.

Comfy, fast bikes.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Confirmed importance of test rides to me. Last year all the rave reviews etc. Had the chance to test the last one in stock in U.K. – thank you LBS – and absolutely hated it. What worked for CFH above simply didn’t work for me. Immediately after the ride, LBS owner put me on a race bike and bingo immediately.

So it’s horses for courses as always. Follow what’s right for you not for someone else. Could be perfect but for me a tarmac is much better.

My test ride was 2 hours and q varied with hills in S downs and flatter stretched. Hated climbing on it, the condom didn’t work for me and after an hour I was desperate to get off

milfordvet
    Free Member

I’ve got the one before the present version. Its very comfortable. In part, the carbon frame disguises a tall head tube which helps anyone with back issues, and the frame seems to combine a stiffer bb area/ bb30 prob also helps withbeing comfy over bumps. Its stiffer uphill while being comfyier than my Salsa Caseroll that preceded it. Probably only realky possible with carbon. Nicely made. My wheels had ok rims but the spokes kept loosening and couldn’t get them tubeless, so swapped them for a Hope set and everything is tickety boo. With a restrap large frame bag sitting inside my 58 perfectly, its a lovely all day ride. I have stiffer (maybe) faster bikes but an hour or two on them and I know it. For normal people a single ring might be even better. I liked the diverge but they seemed alot dearer when i was looking in carbon. There isnt much space around the tyres to go larger, so i your looking for semi knobblies on gravel i dont think there is the space, but new ones may be different. Bought in the sale, so price was reasonable. Road discs are good. Highest head tube you’ll find if your searching for high stack height. I believe its their biggest selling bike.

speedstar

I have the 2018 version and really love it. TBH though there isn’t as much buzz reduction as I had hoped as I felt the need to install the stiff spring as I felt a bit too much of my energy was expended on the movement of the bars when pushing hard. The geo is pretty similar to the Tarmac with the same carbon layup. I haven’t had a chance to compare it to my Ultimate SLX as yet but my Strava times aren’t any worse at least. I have done some very big rides on it and found it great but not sure the futureshock makes as big a difference as I wanted. I would say at the current sale prices it’s an absolute bargain though, and I wish I had the ability to wait to buy.

TiRed

Sky high head tube rather than a flipped stem and spacers. They don’t race them in the classics. If you need raised bars, buy with confidence. If you want something more classics race oriented, buy a Defy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not ridden in the Classics? A rather succesful Roubaix here. (Non disc, but still…)

The new Defy looks lovely…

zerocool

A few years ago one of the Specialized Pro Tour riders said he was as fast on his Roubaix as he was on his face bike, only more comfortable, he just wasn’t allowed to race on it as sponsors wanted them all on the race bikes

TiRed

Those are not the Roubaix you are looking for. The pros ride custom geometry, not available to you and I. Guess what, they tend to look like the Tarmac but have a name that might sell to a larger core audience.

prior to degenkolbs Defy, Big Sep raced a Defy with TCR front end geometry and Defy rear. Don’t believe what you are told. Degenkolbs Defy SL was, a medium stockbframe with slammed 130, 17 degree stem.

corroded
    Free Member

I borrowed one for a fortnight in California and did some big rides on typically atrocious American roads. Hated it with a passion. My position was way too upright, the stupid suspension thing added another couple of inches to the stack height with riser bars on top of that. The stupid  seatpost looks like you have a second appendage. I’ve never felt more of a tit on a bike. My GT Grade is more comfortable, better looking and quicker.

Feels better to get that out.

rOcKeTdOg

Great bike but a trek Domane rides better imo. Trek also doesn’t look like a child has drawn it from their imagination

anagallis_arvensis

Interesting to read different views on the Future shock. You can certainly ride in a manner that provokes it but really its just the bars moving a little. I keep meaning to switch from the medium to soft spring. Judging by Strava my Diverge is just as quick as the Defy. Quicker downhill maybe a little slower on the flat as its a tad shorter and taller so I’m more upright, uphill its the same.

corroded
    Free Member

I found that the shock moved when climbing out of the saddle – not a lot but enough to be very irritating. Going over potholes it clonked, I’m guessing because it uses ‘brain’ technology. Overall I found that the suspension didn’t solve anything that a wider pair of tyres and lower pressure wouldn’t have (or flexy stays like the Grade). It was the application of complication rather than common sense. But I accept that it may well be exactly what someone else is looking for.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Excellent, well that clears that up…..

I think I will ignore it and continue looking at the tarmac.

milfordvet
    Free Member

A BMW 325i M sport coupe (Tarmac) and a Volvo V 90 estate (Roubaix) are the best cars you can buy but at different times in your life.

Your younger self will hate the Volvo’s softness. Your older self will hate the BMW unrefined ride quality. Which is best for you depends where you are at in life.

anagallis_arvensis

I found that the shock moved when climbing out of the saddle – not a lot but enough to be very irritating

Of course it will but it doesnt seem to affect power transfer to the back wheel.

I’m not sure I’d bother on a pure road bike which the roubaix is though, its good offroad.

Going over potholes it clonked

Apparently the Diverge version I have uses a progressive shock the Roubaix one is linear, wonder if that is the difference here?

daimo
    Free Member

All depends what you want it for? I’ve akways seen the Roubaix as a top tier sportive type bike as I think the headtube angle is less agressive and longer than a race orientated bike. If you’re in the market for a Roubaix also check out the Cannondale synapse hi-mod.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The new Defy looks lovely…

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder….

TiRed

The old one looked a lot better!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Specialized Roubaix’ is closed to new replies.