Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Tell me about – Renting a room to a Lodger
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

Any helpful hints and tips about getting a lodger, advertising, contracts, experiences, when its time for them to leave etc gratefully read.

Thinking of renting a room out.

Thanks

perchypanther
    Free Member

Only consider candidates named Roger.

Extra points if they are :

a. extremely old
    b. good at improvising impromptu repairs
    c. are extremely well endowed in the trouser department.

RobHilton
    Free Member

If this documentary is anything to go by it will not go well

And £7,500 tax-free income IIRC

Midnighthour
    Free Member

🙂

sandwicheater

Speak to your insurers so they know.

Few of my clients seem to do it and all have had no issues when i speak to them come insurance renewal time.

tjagain

Set your rent slightly below market rent – then you will have plenty of potential lodgers to choose from. Get references.

towzer

see spareroom.co.uk

You could try Mon-Fri only first as a taster, I did this, as it meant it was ‘my house’ at weekends – during work I was away 7-7 it didn’t really matter.

I did it for ages and it worked for me
    In my case it impacted my contents insurance(it excluded theft by lodger) and I got agreement (0 cost) from mortgage company

Consider other financial implications: – council tax, bills etc, phone etc etc

I always got emails/phone nos first and did google/facebook etc research. I also always met face to face for a chat first.

If you have house rules make sure they’re clearly understood and agreed and also understand it’s no longer ‘your’ house as they’re paying to be there.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

You can find tenancy agreement templates online for starters. I would try and get references from previous landlords on any tenant.

You will invariably find some nutters.

Sundayjumper

My brother has recently done this, and so far – touch wood – it’s working well. IIRC he advertised on spareroom. Interviewed a couple of people and picked the one whose routine best fitted in with his.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I’ve done it for the past 10 years. for the first 4 it was to mates (so no issues) and then the past 6 to randoms. as other have said, let your insurance and mortgage company know, but you shouldn’t have any issue as you are still living there. also let the council know so they can remove and single occupancy council tax reduction you may be receiving (I forgot to do this at the start and got stung for a large bill).

regarding tenancy agreements ad references, I’ve never bothered as I’m living there, so if there’s any issues i’ll deal with it at the time / throw them out, however I always take a month rent as a deposit as well as first months rent before they can move in as a bit of a safety net. I don’t take DSS tenants as I can be a real ball ache getting the money. I’m also very cautious for the first few weeks or so to not leave easily nicakable valuables / cash laying around. having tried a number of different websites to advertise on I find gumtree the cheapest and delivers the most results.

when they come to view, be very clear on what is acceptable and not acceptable behaviour from your lodger so you’re at least establishing some ground rules, but ultimately you don’t know what you’re going to get until they move in.

out of 4 random strangers as lodgers I’ve only had minor issues with one, but I’m pretty easy going and laid back about how the house is kept etc so it might not be for you if you’re not. oh and it seems to work that when people rent they don’t see the need to clean communal areas, that’s your bag as the landlord! I’m lucky as my current tenant is a nice guy who keeps himself to himself, but if he leaves I probably won’t do it again as don’t need the cash as much now and sharing your house with a stranger, no matter how nice they are, does have some negative sides

theotherjonv

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbxNej_MJlw[/video]

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Many years ago I rented to a guy who worked away loads, turned out he’d set up a massive grow in a tent, cleared out after 3 months and left me with a 450 quid leccy bill.

Which was nice

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

I married my lodger. Consider this a warning to all 😀

surfer
    Free Member

@Daisy 🙂

I remember the wedding 🙂

wzzzz
    Free Member

I’ve had many lodgers.

All this talk of “tenancy agreements” is rubbish, you don’t need one – they are not a tenant- and your lodger doesn’t have the same rights as if you were renting them a house, they don’t really have any rights as a lodger.

It is your house, your rules -simply change the locks to get rid of someone. It works both ways – they can also leave with no notice or repercussions.

Have a read: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-a-home/subletting-and-lodging/lodging/what-rights-do-lodgers-have/

Make sure you like the person before having them lodge. You aren’t looking for a best mate or a partner but you need to make sure they aren’t a dick. Spend more than a 5 minute viewing.

That being said, they have got to want to live there! The house I had lodgers in was a big house with big bedrooms with sofas and ensuite -and two lounges, so everyone had their own space and we weren’t living on top of each other.

Don’t get pissed off when they don’t do any cleaning, I always ended up doing it all and clearing up a little after people in communal spaces. Respect their privacy, I never went in anyone else’s room at all. Immediately have them setup a direct debit payment of rent for the very first payment. Cash brings excuses and delays.

I would set the rate above the proportional market rent, meet a good few people and take your pick. Tell them you are letting the room for 6 months, you can always extend. I found it was nice to have a reasonable churn of interesting people.

Remember you can also get tax relief on meals you cook and laundry etc.

alexxx
    Free Member

What tax relief on meals and laundry?!?! tell me moreee!

I’ve just got 2 girls in – seem alright and keep themselves to themselves. Pays the mortgage, cant walk around naked now… and one of them doesnt like washing up… but it’s a fair ol chunk of cash so it can come with a few downsides thats just fine.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Make sure they’re not a psycho murderer.

footflaps

Make sure they’re not a psycho murderer.

Unless you’re into that sort of thing….

alexxx
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX6FsTIq6ls[/video]

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’ve just got 2 girls in – seem alright and keep themselves to themselves. Pays the mortgage, cant walk around naked now… and one of them doesnt like washing up… but it’s a fair ol chunk of cash so it can come with a few downsides thats just fine.

I had a simple rule with the lodger that all common spaces had to be left as they were found, own space could be as crappy as possible as long as any smells didn’t escape. It sort of worked.
    The lodger started of a sort of mate and left not being a mate and disappeared totally from the scene soon after. I think he was odd.

alexxx
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve brought it up a few times but I think she’ a bit special and naturally lazy, however it still works for me. Literally the day before I can ask her to clean her stuff up once finished she’ll apologies and then do exactly the same the next day… happened a few times now. I don’t think she’s malicious.. just different…

techsmechs
    Free Member

I highly recommend a Slovak powerlifter to anyone who enjoys the smell of a man. And raw onions.

jambourgie
    Free Member

alexxx – Member
    I’ve just got 2 girls in

Pics?

Assuming you’ve got secret cameras in their rooms like the dirty grasping land-baron you are. 😉

alexxx
    Free Member

tjagain

Just to reiterate what I aid about pitching it slightly below market rent. I have just done this with a flat I have for rent. Within 3 hours of the ad going live I have 4 bookings to view. Means I can pick and chose my tenants

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i used spareroom – seemed to work ok, and as i wasn’t in a rush meant i could be a bit picky. had 4 people come and view the room at what i think is a fair price (£90 more than the last couple though!), and one moved in within a few days.

He’s alright – bit geeky perhaps, but leaves before i get up in the morning, gets on well with the neighbours (we’re a social bunch!) and positively enjoys fixing my old car… i need someone i can trust too as i travel a lot for work, so didn’t want to be worrying about the house while i’m away.

Previous lodgers were great too – he moved in, then got married 6 months later, she moved in a couple of months after that. they kept themselves to themselves, but were really nice when i saw them. i didn’t charge them masses of rent, as i just wanted the mortgage covering and they were saving for their own place.

my tips would def be to have a good chat during the viewing, make sure that if you’re not up for a party house they’re quite types, and have a quick word with previous landlords – if they’re not keen for you to do that, they’re probably worth avoiding anyway.

I enjoyed the 3 months between this guy moving in and the previous couple moving out, but the cash is handy to have, and i quite like the social aspect of having someone around now and again (being single and all..!)

SaxonRider

You might want to consult with Gromit before you make any decisions.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAoaW6i-_Mk[/video]

brooess
    Free Member

Have as your priority your desire to give someone a happy and pleasant home to come to every night, as opposed to thinking about how much money you can get away with charging them.

Housing is the most divisive issue in the UK at the moment with the ‘haves’ quite openly extorting as much as they can from those that don’t… to the detriment of everyone as we run out of money to spend after housing ourselves…

I’m looking for a room for weekends in London at the moment and one potential was quite open that she was after as much money as thought she could get away with. No way she’s having any of my hard-earned…

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Housing is the most divisive issue in the UK at the moment with the ‘haves’ quite openly extorting as much as they can from those that don’t… to the detriment of everyone as we run out of money to spend after housing ourselves…

Yes, the housing situation is shameful.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

On average, are lodgers short or long term stayers?

Does house insurance go up?

Are there rules about fire alarms / lock types / etc as there are in renting out whole houses?

tjagain

brooess

I quite agree

Its partly by accident we have ended up with a flat to rent out. I let it below market rate as that still makes us a profit of thousands a year, it allows us to pick and choose potential tenants and it also gives someone a place to live and a not too ridiculous a price ( Its in Edinburgh – all rentals are ridiculous prices) I could probably get £1500 a year more for it.

One key thing for me is “a good deal is one where both sides are happy” this may well be what is called “enlightened self interest” as it means we get a good deal as well. I try to be a good landlord – things like the central heating broke so I gave the tenants electric heaters and £50 for the extra electricity they would use. Not off the next months rent but £50 cash in their hands

Put yourself in the tenants shoes – “what would I want in their position” then I try to do that.

Its an investment to me but its a home to them. Never forget that

jambourgie
    Free Member

tj, I think you should be commended for this. It fosters good feelings with your tenants. When I was looking a few years ago, 90% of landlords were just horrible human beings. They seemed to arrive at their price by looking at how much the maximum housing benefit would be in that area and then adding a bit more to ‘deter the scum’.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Not inclined to exploit people, just want someone I can stand to have around 🙂 and who can cope with me. Some people just dont ‘get’ why you might be happy storing a (clean) bike in the living room.

Interestingly when discussing lodgers with friends, the general tone had been ‘charge the highest you can’. Its a bit depressing really.

People have become so ruthless.

poolman
    Free Member

I have always got on well with my tenants and agree pitch the rent a bit below the market. One thing i noticed on my recent travels round the uk the level of homelessness, its terrible. Re lodgers i had them years ago and usually found them via work so knew them before.

That 7500 rent a room relief is nice.

tjagain

jambourgie – we are lucky in that we have owned it 18 years and so the mortgage is low and rentals are ludicrous in Edinburgh- this gives us a bit of wriggle room. Its also perhaps part of why we have had no issues with tenants over the years we have been renting

jambourgie
    Free Member

poolman – Member
    One thing i noticed on my recent travels round the uk the level of homelessness, its terrible

Breaks my heart this. Over the last few years on my regular rides through the more industrial/brownbelt parts of the city I’ve noticed people living in tents. Absolutely shameful, and nobody seems to give a toss. Just ignored whilst everyone’s clicking ‘like’ on the latest fashionable outrage on Facebook.

tjagain – Member
    jambourgie – we are lucky in that we have owned it 18 years and so the mortgage is low and rentals are ludicrous in Edinburgh- this gives us a bit of wriggle room. Its also perhaps part of why we have had no issues with tenants over the years we have been renting

Yep. ‘Give respect – Get repect’ innit.

slimjim78
    Free Member

MrsSlim is literally at her elderly parents as I write this, helping to evict a mentally unstable lodger. They have tried contacting police over her behaviour, who of course aren’t interested as it’s a civil matter – despite the lodger threatening them through their bedroom door. They have been scared witless and locking themselves in their bedroom and this has only come to light this weekend as they hadn’t wanted to worry anyone.

Lodger is a female 40 something divorcee – no obvious signs to raise concerns on initial meeting, leading to increased odd behavior, accusations, threats.

You have little/no help available of it all goes to pot, just be aware.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about – Renting a room to a Lodger’ is closed to new replies.