Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tell me about PF92 bottom brackets
  • PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying a Commencal Meta but their frames take press fit 92 bottom brackets. Having always used and liked hollowtech II bottom brackets i’m not sure what to expect.

Anyone use one and call tell me what they’re like in terms or reliability, serviceability and finding replacements?

Would this single feature be enough to put you off buying a bike with PF92?

Thanks

GavinB

I had to replace the PF92 on MrsB’s Zesty a while back. The pain was that it needs a few tools, as you probably already have the tools for replacing external BB, this may be an issue.

I ended up buying a few replacements cheap off Rosebikes, and getting the Park BBT-90.3 tool, which allows you to knock out the old cups (like a mini headset tool), and also comes with the bushings to allow you to press in the new cups. I then just bodged a press out of a large coachbolt and some heavy duty washers. It works fine, and as luck would have it, it’s only needed doing once…

nickc

I’ve got a press fit bb92 in my new frame ( Privee Shan) thought it was going to be a complete nightmare at first as the bearings didn’t want to go in AT ALL deforming badly, but turns out u was sold some road ones by LBS by mistake. Proper ones ordered, and went in nearly all the way with a firm shove. Very tight at first, cranks wouldn’t even spin one complete revolution, but have freed up a bit. Survived a very mucky and gritty ride a couple of weeks ago with no complaint.

I’m not particularly hard on kit, I expect these will last 18-24 months before replacing them, no worse or better than external BB cups or any other cartridge bearing system. I see hope are making them now, and I’ve had good longevity from their stuff before I may get one of those

christhetall
    Free Member

Would this single feature be enough to put you off buying a bike with PF92?

Yes

been very unimpressed with the press-fit bottom brackets on my Trek – don’t last very long. Ok I do have a fondness for riding through fords, but it’s hard to avoid one where I live. However there is no logic in a £25 part that takes £150 worth of tolls to change.

My intention is to put in a Hope one next and see how it lasts

lerk
    Free Member

Hope now make press fit bottom brackets too…

That is all you need to know!

In fairness, there’s not much more involved in swapping a pressfit than there is a threaded.

GavinB

£150 of tools? Can you explain that?

It cost me ~£30

nickc

My question as well, I bought a proper headset press but I needn’t have bothered TBH, and drift them out with careless abandon when they wear out as not part is reuse able

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Thanks chaps! sounds like it should be fine then (noting Chris’ issue though). I was concerned that the “standard” might become obsolete and i’d be left scratching for parts. It’s comforting to hear that Hope are doing them now.

Ta!

Dougal
    Free Member

Get the tools, a cheap headset press and a Park BB90.3 kit as mentioned above.

Get the Race Face BB, last much longer than a Shimano or a SRAM. Holder is alloy rather than plastic, they are designed to be removed without damage, the bearings replaced (RF do a tool for this) and the same holder re-inserted.

christhetall
    Free Member

I was under the impression that I needed one tool to extract the old one and something like a headset press to fit them, which when I costed it up a year ago came to around £150.

Admittedly I was struggling to find any info on them so I don’t know whether these are really required to change one – I don’t have a headset press as I’ve never had a problem changing the bearing units with a hammer!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

The bike comes with Sram 2210 carbon cranks which I think have a 30mm spindle. Shimano etc are 24mm? Not sure if RF or Hope do the wide spindle fitting, if not, i’d have to stick with Sram/Truvativ or change the cranks too.

zilog6128

I was under the impression that I needed one tool to extract the old one and something like a headset press to fit them, which when I costed it up a year ago came to around £150.

This is true, if you buy the Park press but if you go for a cheaper press or already own one obviously it’s not going to cost that much. I bought an FSA tool for the extraction which was under £5. Hardly breaking the bank!

I’ve got a few bikes with HTII and two with BB30 (not quite the same as PF92 but similar). I actually prefer the press-fit as it’s one less thread to worry about and there’s no chance of the bearings getting stuck (have had some real wrestling matches with HTII BBs in the past!) Personally I’ve had excellent life out of the bearings and had no problems at all.

Also I suppose I can use the same bearings for my MTB and road bike (not had to replace the road one yet though) so that’s one less spare to keep in the cupboard!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about PF92 bottom brackets’ is closed to new replies.