Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tell me about Nukeoroof headsets
  • mildred

I normally buy Acros, Chris King or Hope.

I need the insert depth of the King, so that rules out Hope. The Acros and King are very close on price, but that’s the problem – with Christmas looming I’m struggling to justify the cost of these.

I’ve seen a Nukeproof headset in the CRC sale that’s pretty much a third the cost and fits the bill perfectly. However, there’s no info’ on the bearings; stainless steel etc.

Has anyone any views/experience of Nukeproof headsets?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I had one of the very first NP headsets about 5 (?) years ago when I rebuilt my Blur 4X. Looked like it ticked all the boxes but in reality it was a total POS. Bearings died within weeks and it looked like a design fault whereby the wedge shaped top hat protruded above the top of the cup slightly meaning it could never be tightened up properly. I had it apart a million times to try and figure out where my mistake was when I’d put it together (exactly as it came out the box) but came to the conclusion it wasn’t me. In fact I seem to remember querying it on their FB page and my post disappeared…

I’d stay well away. King is more expensive, yes but in my experience entirely trouble free.

hatter

I’m generally a King man but was sorely tempted by a £33 Nukeproof for my current build.

Went with a a King in the end as they’re never let me down, looks like I dodged a bullet.

mildred

Yes, that’s what the voice at the back of my head is saying (based on past experience of a stem and seatpost that were shockingly made – sharp edges, crap anodising & made of cheese). My wallet was hoping things had moved on.

Yak

Got one here. Fairly new though so can’t comment on durability. It looks spot on though. None of the problems above and went together easily. Can’t remember who made the bearings, but they looked to be standard double sealed things, so I’m sure future replacement won’t be an issue. Finish is good. No complaints for the money so far.

freeridenick
    Free Member

I have 3 on 3 different bikes. all seem fine to me. had to replace bottom race after 3 years on the most used one, but that’s normal on any headset.

BoardinBob

Ran the Nukeproof Warhead headset since February. 700+ miles with no problems

fivespot
    Free Member

had to replace bottom race but that’s normal on any headset.

Not with Hope its not 😉

nuke

I have 3 on 3 different bikes. all seem fine to me.

Is that including the one you trashed trying to install it? 😉

freeridenick
    Free Member

hahaha

mildred

Not with Hope it’s not

Quite. Which is why I keep going back to them Acros & King – all seem to have similar durability & build quality. I wish hope would do deep inset cups.

scaled
    Free Member

The headset on my Mega did over 2 years without missing a beat.

I went through about 9 GXP bottom brackets in that time for reference

fivespot
    Free Member

I went through about 9 GXP bottom brackets in that time for reference

😯 not a fast learner then 😀

My Hope BB on my Mega is 3 next birthday 😉

ajt123
    Free Member

Poor sealing. Look flash, but don’t last long.

Go Cane Creek – last well – plenty of spares.

Madison MPart also a bargain.

Currently got one of their’s, working well after a year of riding.

deviant
    Free Member

The current ones are good.
    My two bikes have 44mm head tubes, I have a tapered steerer in one and an old straight steerer in the other meaning I’m using a fully integrated on one and an external cup on the bottom of another.
    Both have been faultless and easily installed by me with a ‘C’ clamp (G-clamp?) and tighten up perfectly.
    I like Nukeproof’s stuff and will be trying their press fit BB soon on my current build.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Nukeoroof headsets’ is closed to new replies.