Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tell me about invisiframe / frame protection
  • organic355
    Free Member

My new SB6 arrives today.

Should I get frame protection / invisiframe for it?

where do you get it and is it a ballache to fit?

scotroutes

If they do a kit for it then fitting is pretty simple. Just follow the instructions and remember the baby shampoo. Generic kits and/or sheets are a bit tougher to fit as you need to measure loads and make strategic cut-outs to allow for frame curves, cable entry points etc.

As with most things, it gets easier with practice.

leegee

absolutely it’s great.

I did my Ibis Ripmo in about 4 hours taking my time and I enjoyed doing it. It’s fiddly and you need good natural light, I made a couple of mistakes as it got dark toward the end and I turned on the lights and the glare made it difficult to see bubbles. Start with a simple piece and get the hang of it before doing the trickier bits, the instructions are very good.

russyh
    Free Member

Yes, Invisframe and no…In short.

Longer answer.  I would 100% Invisiframe all of my bikes moving forward.  The invisframe on my new (ish) bike is showing some marks from a couple of accidents i have had.  I will say i will plan on removing it after 18 months or so as i still struggle with the logic of protecting the paint for the second owner to enjoy and riding a beautifully finished frame hidden under tape (my frame is gloss and Matte finish so you lose the effect with Invisiframe)

Purchase direct from inivisframe, they will also sell you replacement panels when the inevitable happens.

In terms of fitment, it takes time if you want it done properly.  Make sure the frame is stripped and laboratory clean.  If the bike is used, or you have ridden it i personally wouldn’t bother as you will never get the frame clean enough in my experience.

martinhutch

It’s a Yeti – do you mind doing it again in a month or two for the warranty replacement? 🙂

Only kidding. It’s a good product. Invisiframe has a website which will supply you the correct kit for your frame if it’s one they’ve done before. If it’s not a model they’ve done before, you’ll need to send it off to Invisiframe to get templated and fitted, which won’t cost any more.

Akers

I’ve invisiframed 2 bikes, including a Yeti. Yes it is a ballache to fit, just be patient and take your time, but it’s well worth it, especially if you plan to ride anywhere with sharp rocky terrain or use frame bags.
    I’ve binned in the Alps, and I have no doubt the Invisiframe protection took the sting out of some nasty rock scrapes that would otherwise damage the carbon layup.

vmgscot

I have my 2016 SB6 Invisiframed, its done well against rubbing and the like but remember its just thin plastic after all, its not armour. I just replaced some panels on the chain/seat stays where I tend to suffer heal rub – made my own this time as I kept a trace of the original Invisiframe panels when I bought them.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Get it bought and resist doing anything with the frame until its fitted.
    Allow 4 hours in clean and clear environment.
    If you want to remove any warning stickers or indeed add any stickers, do this prior to fitting the kit.

andybrad

in short yes, dont take it outside till its fitted

daveylad
    Free Member

Would get a carbon bike done, never bothered with alloy. Note I said get done, would not attempt this myself, too much of a fiddle.

nickewen
    Free Member

I recently did my new Capra and would definitely recommend it. Not cheap though at £85 but compared to the cost of the bike, a worthwhile investment in my view. As above, don’t ride it until it is done! Use a good tar and glue remover to clean even a brand new bike (I had a bottle of Auto Finesse stuff in the garage that worked a treat). Autoglym stuff available in Halfords.

The johnson’s baby shampoo mixed with water works well too – it essentially slows down the adhesive bonding to give you time to position perfectly – if you want more time add more shampoo to the mix (and vice versa) but I found the ratio in the instructions was spot on.

After calling Invisiframe they said to remove any manufacturer frame protection and replace with the kit.. In hindsight I wish I hadn’t bothered doing this as the YT protection around the stays was actually thicker (but smaller area). It seemed a waste after paying so much money for some posh stickers, which is why I decided to remove and replace.

I got it pretty much spot on but took a good few hours.. missed a few little bubbles with it being a white frame but overall very happy with it.

MoreCashThanDash

Got my Arkrose done by an LBS – even with club discount it was a little eye watering, but I intend attaching bikepacking bags etc so wanted to protect the sparkly paint – plus it gets dumped in the garage with several other bikes used by less careful family members.

It had just had it’s 6 week service when I collided with a rope strung across the bridleway, and the bike and I somersaulted over it and bounced down the track. The bike has a couple of scuffs on the handlebar tape and saddle, frame and forks are immaculate still. I, on the other hand, was a bit of a mess.

I am therefore getting myself covered in Invisiframe before I next ride seriously

Del

is it a bollock? yes. is it worth it? up to you. as noted, good ambient light is required, and you’re going to be spraying water about too. it was my first attempt recently and it took me a couple of nights to do it. i’m in no hurry to repeat the process but it went well enough that it will pass casual inspection.

timmycee
    Free Member

Invisiframe employee here.. So obviously I’m going to say get it!

Keeps your bike looking mint, protected from scratches and scuffs. If you ever damage a part, replacements can be ordered.

If you ever come to selling on your bike, it will hold more value due to the bike still looking new. This alone covers the cost.

Fitting it is relatively easy, takes time but it’s worth it to get it right. Nothing you can’t achieve in a chilled evening with a few beers in the garage.

We do have kits for your frame, it’s as easy as visiting the website, selecting model, size and finish and we’ll have it with you in a day or two.

(my frame is gloss and Matte finish so you lose the effect with Invisiframe)

Certain kits are available in mixed finish. Even if they’re not listed on the website, fire the office an email and we can sort something for you.

Hope this helps.

martinhutch

Got my Arkrose done by an LBS – even with club discount it was a little eye watering, but I intend attaching bikepacking bags etc so wanted to protect the sparkly paint –

Invisiframe alone might not be enough. I use a wrap of clear gorilla tape on top where I’m attaching straps.

z1ppy

Order it online & get someone else to fit it, or as part of the deal when you buy your new frame/bike. T’is what I just did

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve done 4 frames now, well worth doing.  The only thing I will say is I put an additional layer of heavier duty 3M viking tape on the down tube of all my bikes to protect them from Sarf Downs flinty attacks.

Take your time, make sure the bike is spotlessly clean and thoroughly clean the room you’ll be doing it in to remove stray pet hairs!  Make sure the room is warm to hot and follow the instructions.

canopy
    Free Member

I wish I’d done this on my current bike as a cable got pushed back during a ride (prob a close in the bushes/into a tree moment) and rubbed a lot off before I realised. I just stuck one of those ‘guard’ kit things CRC sells but it was rubbish

First thing I’m doing when my new frame comes before I build it is getting it invisiframed by a local mech/tech.

timbog160

Get it Invisiframed before riding. It is an awesome product and their customer service is next level. You can do it yourself if you’re a methodical type and put aside a few hours to really enjoy the process!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about invisiframe / frame protection’ is closed to new replies.