Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Tell me about Insurance
  • seadog101

I’ve never had my bikes insured other than through my household policy. I don’t commute, I’m rarely on the road, and any accidents tend to be my fault. 😯 And they are never left outside on their own.

However, the bikes are gradually getting more expensive and I’d just like to make sure that I’m covered should something untoward happen to them (or me) when I’m out and about.

Where do I start and what’s the going rate? The main bike would be hard to replace at anything less than £1200.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As a starting point see what your household policy covers. £1200 is still at the low end for full bikes. Is that the rrp of the bike?

After that its a case of finding someone who will cover it on household with away from home and take note of the specifics on storage etc.

spooky_b329

Your household policy will provide more comprehensive cover that a bike specific one.

The going rate for a bike specific policy with a lot of small print is around 10% of the bikes value.

If I couldn’t use my household policy I would self insure, paying maybe £250 a year into a savings account. Once its up to £1500 or whatever you are happy with, you can stop paying your premiums to yourself 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Insurance’ is closed to new replies.