Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tell me about: hand operated coffee grinders
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Local Italian store has some really nice looking brass grinders. Look really well made and are $79 (about 40 quid).

What should I be looking for in one of these machines. It's for using with a 6 cup Bialetti.

Obviously these machines don't do crema as say a Gaggia maker would, so should I be going for arabica beans or robusta? Also assume a medium to fine ground would be best?

Spongebob
    Free Member

get an electric one – Dualit – £60

skidartist
    Free Member

the hand-cranked ones can be a pain in the arse- ornamental but not always very successful ergonomically . But if you unscrew the handle and operate them with a drill driver they are a hoot.

montylikesbeer

A hand grinder is "niche" so would go down well on here.

Horses for courses I would say, if it works for you and the grind is consistent why not

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ah sod it. Most of the purveyors of fine imported beans have their own grinder in store and you can do it as course or fine as you like. I'll just stick to that and spend the cash I was gonna use on a grinder on a decent bean.

montylikesbeer

Hmmmmmm perhaps not me thinks.

I never buy pre ground coffee even from niche roasters, my advice is get a grinder and grind as you need always

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ha… Someone bought me an electric one for Chrimbo! Stainless steel CuisineArt. Looks like it'll do the job!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about: hand operated coffee grinders’ is closed to new replies.