Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tell me about GPS
  • jonb
    Free Member

I'm toying with the idea of getting one.

Are there any available that actually let you see a proper useable offroad map on the screen? Also looking for a satnav style one for road rides but I guess that's easier.

For £300 is it worth buying a specific GPS or should I just get a better phone that has the function on it?

I'm looking for recommendations and stories of how it has improved your riding. I'm competent with a map but find it slows you down having to keep refering back to it when there are lots of options/paths. I was wondering if a GPS was the solution.

mangatank
    Free Member

Probably a Satmap with the bike adapter would fit the job. I've got one for hillwalking and keep it in the pack on big trips. Really helped me out when I needed it.

http://www.satmap.com/index.php

I mainly use a Garmin 305 bike computer, but not for navigation. It's purely a training system, and a bleedin' great one at that. you can set a time on a route, then re-ride it against yourself. The previous time appears as a black dot and your current time as a white one. Great stuff!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Adventurer 2800 also OS mapping by memory map but heard a few bad things about it on here – not sure if that was on older models though : BUt dont like the thought of a touch screen 🙁

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/adventurer/Adventurer%202800%20Brochure%20web%20.pdf

fennerhorne
    Free Member

I'd go the phone route 🙂 if I were you, as you probably take one out when you're riding anyway? You can pick up a smartphone with gps for £75ish (HTC TytN II, Kaiser)£300 would get you a very nice smartphone and I'd recommend Memory Map; the maps are standard OS, but you can plot waystations, and it records your journey -distance,time,speed,altitude etc – this can be transferred to Memory Map on your computer, rendered in 3D etc (and Tom Tom, Google maps etc., are fine for road riding/driving). Plus you get a smartphone, WiFi, et al

Frankenstein
    Free Member

@fennerhorne -does it give you directions or just plot your route with times and speeds etc. (I don't see the point carrying a mobile and a computer if a HTC will do both-but would love a phone mount on the bars etc).

mangatank
    Free Member

I'd go the phone route

It's tempting to just use the phone (and I've found it really useful on the odd occasion), but if you flatten the battery then you've lost your emergency contact and map resource.

Dedicated GPS have huge battery life, and much better GPS fixing abilities. The Satmap is famous for getting a strong fix in dense woodland and, if you're anywhere South of the Lowlands, you'll pick up the Euro GPS network for even greater accuracy.

Garmin have a touchscreen effort for £300ish that's quite compact. Good unit and very bike friendly (OS mapping too), but not quite as reliable GPS chip in forest as the Satmap. Not much in it though.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63349

One other thing about Satmap. It's designed to be used wholly operable with winter gloves on (and it is). That's one of the reasons the MOD rejected touch screens for field equipment.

glenh
    Free Member

Point of note: the batteries in smartphones running a gps don't last very long!

neninja
    Free Member

I use a Satmap – it's superb.

I steered clear from the phone route as they aren't robust enough or weatherproof. The Satmap has been on the bike in several crashes, mud, rain etc and still works perfectly.

I do enjoy navigating a route using a map but the Satmap has speeded up rides and stopped the 'discussions' with mates about the right way to go.

soulrider
    Free Member

Most modern GPS units have highsensitivity receivers – and often pick up the GPS signal from multiple satellites in buildings as well as under dense tree cover.

Garmin are very good – the etrex colour range are excellent. not tried their new touch screen ones.
    or the Edge bike computers but the 705 looks all singing and dancing

highclimber
    Free Member

I got me one of THESE with a bike mount. I already had a lot of maps for the places I go walking which are coincidentally the same areas I ride so I didn't have the added expense of buying more maps! you can upload aerial images on to it too (those these are quite expensive).

I am quite impressed with it and find it much easier to use than the Satmap and it is a lot narrower.

EDIT: Don't go the phone route, Although cheaper they are not made for all the rigors of MTB use and would probably void your insurance were it to get damaged.
    p.s. The Satmap is NOT water proof

mangatank
    Free Member

find it much easier to use than the Satmap

Despite the Gadget Show branding the Satmap 'The iPod of GPS', it is fairly complex.

One nice feature is the use of a night time red display that helps you retain night vision (it doesn't dazzle your eyes). A neat feature.

neninja
    Free Member

My Satmap has been fine in heavy rain – yes, water gets under the protective screen but that's not bothered me.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Another one for the Satmap.
    Only had it for a month but it has completely transformed my riding. I use bikehike to plan the route upload it onto the unit a away you go. It is also very useful for recording routes too. Gives you all the usual average speed, elevation etc as well.
    Very expensive though. Bare in mind that once you've bought the head unit you'll still need to purchase the OS mapping.

highclimber
    Free Member

I did like the satmap when I borrowed one for the Doctors gate/cutgate loop. very clear to follow even on the 1:250k basemap but The Satmap works out very expensive especially if you start buying 1:50k and 25k maps. thats all that put me off buying one.

fennerhorne
    Free Member

Frankenstein – no MM doesn't give you directions, as far as I know. It shows where you are, and have been, and as it's on a map….

You can buy a handlebarmount for Smartphones (I've got one)

I've never had any problems with battery power, but I usually only do 2,3,4hr max journeys. Batteries weigh very little and are pretty small so I suppose it would not be beyond the bounds of reason to carry a spare? 😀

johnmandy
    Free Member

fennerhorne – Member
    Frankenstein – no MM doesn't give you directions, as far as I know. It shows where you are, and have been, and as it's on a map….

My first post, but i have looked at this forum with interest for a while.

Just a small correction to forum member fennerhorne,s reply,

MM certainly gives you directions, it does a brilliant job by means of a directional arrow, i bought the MM adventurer on its release and have used it on a weekly basis for walking and MTB.
    The only weakness up until now was the battery life on a good day you would get 7 hours, but now with the release of the extended battery i managed 12 hours with power still being registered after turning the unit off.

I have covered over 1500 miles with walking and MTB since purchase and never had problem, the system software seems very stable and the hardware reliable and robust, i,ve used the satmap in the past and given the choice i.m glad i now have the MM Adventurer 2800

gusamc
    Free Member

johnmandy – do you need to use the stylus on MM

Currently using Memory Map sw and Garmin old Extrex – and looking at Satmap, Dakota/Oregon, MM2800 and now Quo – but find it a bit hard to justify, massive cost esp as I'd be carrying a map anyway.

PSA MM2800 Full bike package ebay 299/offer, I tried an offer of 170 (fail)

Xylene
    Free Member

I used my Binatone X350 and memory map at the weekend.

Worked fine.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

£260 at singletrackbikes.co.uk for the full mapping MM.

johnmandy
    Free Member

gusamc,

you will have to use the stylus, but it can be minimised to an extent, i have gone on tracks where i use the stylus to start my route and never use it again until the end, some commands can be activated with your fingers.

To be fair i found the stylus a godsend especially in winter when i do suffer a bit with cold hands, gloves on, beats the press buttons.

I use mine with sustrains and memorymap and it suits my every need, as stated earlier i,ve owned and still have a venture hc which i really enjoyed using, but the 2800 really does the business for me.

clowner
    Free Member

mangatank can you explain what you mean by

if you're anywhere South of the Lowlands, you'll pick up the Euro GPS network for even greater accuracy.

I had always assumed GPS coverage was pretty much universal with them being in space. Don't quite get what you mean and am curious

offthebrakes
    Free Member

From the Satmap documentation:

The unit is WAAS/EGNOS enabled. This means users in the south of England and mainland Europe are able to benefit from ‘differential’ GPS when one of the EGNOS satellites is in view. When this service is available, the green signal crescents turn blue and accuracy is enhanced.

and

The European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service has been developed by the European Space Agency (ESA) for safety of air navigation. It is part of the Galileo project. When a signal is available (which is only in the south of England and mainland Europe), this signal improves the accuracy of signals from the GPS system.

highclimber
    Free Member

this signal improves the accuracy of signals from the GPS system.

this is not strictly true. Their accuracy is only affected by where the receiver is and the upper atmosphere. in simple terms the SBAS (satellite based augmentation system)ie EGNOS, provides another signal for the reciever to determine the accuracy of the GPS signal and corrects it accordingly.

Indeed, two versions here:

Memory Map Adventurer 2800 National Parks
    In stock now!

Memory Maps Adventurer 2800 Full GB
    Back in stock in 2 days!

CraigW
    Free Member

EGNOS is not just a south of England thing, I often receive it on my Garmin in the north of Scotland. Though it does help if I have a fairly clear view of the horizon to the south, without buildings/hills/trees etc in the way.

uplink
    Free Member

Don't discount the Garmin Dakota 20 & the GB Discoverer maps
    or you can create & upload you're own 25k maps to it reasonably easily & free

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Dakota 450 here with OS 1:50k GB maps. Excellent device with loads features. Works like a conventional car sat nav showing you turns to make etc on routes. Large touch screen is brilliant. Easy to use and built tough. Kids now love geocahcing but thats another story LOL Good fun if you enjoy a bit of navigating. Can be sued in car to.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about GPS’ is closed to new replies.