• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by cozz.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tell me about folding bikes
  • woody74

Wife needs a folding bike for her new commute when she goes back after maternity leave. Will only be cycling 3 or 4 mile each way and as first time folder owners, reluctant to spend a ton on a Brompton.

Needs to have mudguards, rack and hopefully quite light as she will have to lug it in and out of the car boot.

Any recommendations?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I “think” Tern/Dahon are the main cheaper option.

As for light weight, it’s never cheap.

Gotama
    Free Member

I had a tern, it snapped at the main hinge bolt but that aside when it was running fine if I was buying one again I would get a Brompton having now used them a few times through the Brompton dock. Miles better in almost every aspect and worth the extra imo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As brought out almost every time this comes up;

Folding bike = Brompton
    Folding bike = Airnimal

winston
    Free Member

Dahon is the best budget choice
    Brompton are best for foldability and will get best resale though they are overpriced to begin with
    Mezzo are best compromise between foldability and rideability if you can’t afford a Birdy

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Whatever you get, hub dynamo is a good investment – always have lights available, no charging needed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

winston – Member
    Dahon is the best budget choice

I have a Dahon Vitesse and it’s rather Ace. Come in various guises, mines the 7speed hub version so it’s just unfold and off you go.
    £900 IIRC when I bought it (top of the range then) but you can get something similar for £450, try Evans Cycles website for info..

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I was recently asking about this and people on here suggested looking at some of the folding bikes decathlon. The cheapest, a single speed is about £150 but there’s a geared one for £250 too.

Also suggested was a season ticket bike hire scheme that is operated by South West Trains. Not sure whether this will apply to your wife’s commute but it wasn’t something which came up when I was googling.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

i would defo recommend using a single speed if you don’t have any big hills, keep it nice and simple.

Worth noting that if she can’t hack holding 14kg then get one which can be wheeled.

I keep my chain pretty dry as it will inevitably touch clothing at some point or another and it will wreck your clothes.

Get slick high pressure tyres to keep the speed up and a bell!

I use a Philips promenade which cost me about £30 initially off ebay there are some bargains about and it is faster to unfold than a brompton.

woody74

Thanks all. I always thought that there must be a reason Bromptons were so popular despite the price. Maybe worth looking for a 2nd hand Brompton.

I was looking at the Dahons on Evans as they have some good discounts.

TiRed

Have ridden and recommended many of the above. But for slight left-field, my most recent recommendation was a Giant Halfway. Rides well, not too heavy, folds (not that small).

If looking second hand, I’d look for a Mezzo. Even used, Bromptons are so expensive that I would buy new or something else.

woody74

Decathlon bikes, look good. They have one with a belt drive 7 speed Nexus hub for £550

jet26
    Free Member

Decathlon one as above – lifetime warranty too on frame and includes guards and rack.

flange
    Free Member

I’m selling mine! Advert might not inspire you to reach for your wallet though…

woody74

Hi Flange

Yes saw your post the other day and it didn’t fill me with confidence regarding a Tern!!

nuke

Currently have a dahon but have used a brompton…used for couple of mile commute plus stored under desk and taken on trains/boot of car.I’ve found dahon no slower to fold/unfold as dahon has all QR when folding/unfolding whilst brompton has wingnut style. Dahon no heavier either. Only advantage of brompton for me was the towing wheels when folded

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Go for an old Dahon with a 3 speed hub.
    I’ve tried a few folding bikes actually the trick is to get a decent one with a 16inch wheel. Not sure why, but this makes a huge difference for portability and storage

Something like this would be great. Single speed versions also available

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dahon-Folding-Bike-/221520389848?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3393a4e6d8

Similar thing here, just not as pretty, but just as good and feels a tad more stable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dahon-Bickerton-folding-bike-just-serviced-with-new-tyres-tubes-/261560333420?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3ce635f46c

sboardman

Got a Tern Uno on cycle to work a couple of months ago. No problems with it so far. Yes its not “light” and it doesn’t fold as small as a brompton; but it’s much better than the MTB on the train and cost all of £330 (gross, before salary sacrifice) so fairly bargainous. It does fit under my desk at work though, and makes a good conversation starter when colleagues walk past…

dudeofdoom

Does it have to be a folder …… Couldn’t you get a bike rack for the car ?

Then you have a lot more choice in bikes.

MoreCashThanDash

Couple of people at work use Decathlon folders – park 2-3 miles along the canal and pootle in on the towpath.

Though the head honcho, smart suited change implementation manager has a Brompton which he uses when he tries to beat his Strava time for the 600 yards from the office to the station, sending pedestrians flying in his wake, with his dreadlocks flowing behind him.

cozz
    Free Member

same here, my mrs does about 5 mile a day

bought a cheapo folding bike, she found it heavy to lift

just bought a second hand 2 speed brompton, she loves it, it is so much better, and lighter, paid £440 for it off ebay, genuine bike from 1st owner, saw receipt et

thats what I would do

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about folding bikes’ is closed to new replies.