Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tell me about Brechfa
  • Freester

Haven’t ridden Brechfa since there was one trail – the Gorlech – starting from the Abergorlech carpark.

Since then the 3 new trails (green, blue and black) which start at the Brechfa car park have been built. I’m there for one day only. Is there a way to mix a few of the trails up? Not sure I have enough time to link up the Raven and Gorlech trails. Where is the best starting place?

Any advice / insight gratefully received.

Freester

In absence of any replies I thought I’d answer my own post in case anyone else searches for similar answers.

Parked in Abergorlech and linked up the Red (Gorlech) and Black (Raven) trails. Basically before the top of the last Red descent follow the Black arrows and you can’t go wrong.

The Raven was really fun with some cracking descents. However I get the impression it could get hard work if it hasn’t been dry – at least compared to trail surface of the Red run.

All of us were a little unfit and what I assume would have been the ‘1st’ climb on the Raven from the Brechfa car park felt a little brutal with our legs getting a little tired by that point. I guess we could have mixed in a loop on the Green / Blue at this stage also if we were uber keen!

Can’t believe both routes linked up only came to 22 miles on my Android GPS! Gotta get some fitness quick before the Dyfi!!!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I did those two in one day recently as well – my Endomondo GPS reading came in at 20 miles – five miles short of what riding buddies with computers ended up with. Don’t think phone GPS systems work well at all with all that tree cover. Agree about that first climb on the Raven trail – evil!

rusty90
    Free Member

that first climb on the Raven trail – evil!

When wet the Bluebell Wood climb becomes a mixture of superglue infused mud and Teflon coated rocks. Yuck.

Freester

When wet the Bluebell Wood climb becomes a mixture of superglue infused mud and Teflon coated rocks. Yuck.

LOL a tad muddy with a few slippery bits then? 😉

Taff
    Free Member

That was probably a best bet really. I normally go straight from my Dad’s in Rhydcymerau which brings me out at Trawscoed and therefore straight onto the red trail.

chrispo
    Free Member

Sorry we all missed your first message. This forum has too many posts to keep on top of – can’t they divide them into sections?!

For posterity: Red and black are very easy to link, it’s signposted. The black can be a test in the depths of winter, but it’s always rideable. All the routes are much smoother and easier on the bike than say Coed y Brenin, where I always break something, but the first black climb at Brechfa is relatively tough. (Easy to miss out though: just stay on the green until the end of the second singletrack section and then go back on the black).

I happily do red and black together because I’m so impossibly manly, but it’s about 45km and quite undulating so it’s a big ride for those who are not used to that kind of thing.

rusty90
    Free Member

If you’re starting on the red (i.e. from Abergorlech) you can add a shorter section of the black instead of going all the way down to the Bergwym car park then back up again – at the bottom of the black jump section, before the northshore bridge, turn right onto the disused fireroad which will bring you out at the culvert where you can pick up the black again.
    This brings it down to about 35km altogether and includes the best bits of the black IMO.

diawl2
    Free Member

Did the Gorlech and Raven on Saturday. Came to 24 miles on Mytracks app. The Raven climb is definitely a tester if you start from Abergorlech.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Brechfa’ is closed to new replies.