• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tell me about border terriers…
  • Kip

Finally convinced Mr Kip of the benefits of getting a dog and think that a border terrier may be the right one for us. He suffers from allergies and Small Kip (2 and 8 months) has shown a dislike of big dogs but definitely not smaller dogs than her!
    What are your experiences of BT ownership?
    Am I likely to be able to train it to run with the bike, drop on command at a distance, generally have it well behaved when out and about?
    I’m experienced with dogs but not BTs, Mr Kip comes from a pet hating background so I don’t want to get a dog under false pretences! If a BT isn’t the right one for us we’ll look for something different.
    Cheers for any advice.

Kip

Damn, wrong forum, mods please move this for me.

PePPeR

The Singletrackworld dog of choice! Cracking dogs.

bren2709

Small, fearless, loyal to the core and perfect size for going to earth!

johnnystorm

Cats make my eyes stream and induce sneezing fits. My sister’s border terrier doesn’t give me any hassle. He’s happy with a long walk or just staying in if needs be. Just make sure you train it well!

Kip

Good news on the allergy front, now just need more info on how well they can be trained!

tonyg2003

Completely biased here. We have two 16yr old bitch borders. They have been great. Easy to look after (no vet problems until the last year or so), great out for walking and never a problem with our boy. One of them was definitely a scrapper until she was about 10! The dogs can be wanders but are possibly a little less “fiesty”. When these two go…gues what we’re getting?

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

We have a BT bitch of 8yrs old. The god’am laziest dog I’ve ever had. Sleeps for England (or Wales in our case) and loves nothing more than a good carry. She won’t walk when it’s wet. She’s small, cute and cuddly. So all the major boxes ticked there. Loves humans and cats but hates rabbits and other dogs. They are quite certainly the best dog ever….

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We’ve (my parents really) had three and one Jack Russell/Border cross. I would definately have one but my other half has a thing about not wanting the same dog as her in laws. But they are great wee dogs, pretty easily trained and good natured.

Vortexracing

Great dogs

love ours

meet Archie

from this

IMGP0499 by eastham_david, on Flickr

then this

DSCF0108 by eastham_david, on Flickr

and now this

P1263567 by eastham_david, on Flickr

kerv
    Free Member

I miss ours loads. 🙁

Kip

Looking more positive all the time!

Always a sucker for dog stories so please keep them coming, welcome advice on other breeds too.

banks
    Free Member

Got a Norfolk terrier here, mental dog but very happy to have lazy days in bed & short walks but also 6hr epics on kinder. Struggles in the heat though, refuses to go when its raining & god forbid if you try & wash his bed. Hates early mornings. Not really into other dogs except friendly JTs & BTs.

When me grans he refuses to leave her side knowing he’ll get half of her meal.
    Also, the only dog I’ve known to leave food in his bowl, he eats at tea time o_0

I’ll stick some pics up when I’m not supposed to be working

julioflo
    Free Member

Awesome little Dogs. We have Gylly, he’s 2.5. I grew up with Labs and Spaniels, then developed allergies. No reactions from Gylly at all.

Our Niece was about 1 when we 1st had Gylly. Sure he knocked her over a few times with enthusiastic greetings, but now she is 4, our Nephew is 2 and he is very calm around them. He just accepts them and let’s them (heavily) stroke him etc.

Very loyal, very soft, but very bright and tireless (seeming as he is so lazy when at home). He runs about 3-4 times a week with me on 10km trail runs and does the odd bit of single track with the bikes. But I just can not stop him chasing sheep….so whenever we may have a chance of being near sheep he is on the lead. Any advice will be listen to!

bwaarp
    Free Member

Cockapoo

wallop

Cockapoo

Bless you.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

On the downside they have a piercing yap that goes right through you

bruk

Pros, hardy things that can with training run for good distances, great characters, usually good with people esp family. Pick upable which can be handy. Few breed specific problems.

Cons, can be stubborn and difficult to train, can be difficult with other dogs/cats/rabbits etc.

They usually need the coat stripping twice a year and weekly grooming as a minimum, check re the allergy as they do shed hairs.

nickhart
    Free Member

+1 here too. Brilliant little hound, likes winding big dogs up, runs all day, brilliant with the kids. Be consistent with your training and it’ll do well.
    Ours loves sheep too, so much so I had a mile run over the moors to get the little b back. Gets the red mist of being a terrier every now and again.
    We had ours castrated which may have given him a more relaxed character but has given him a scent that big dogs like way too much!
    Oh come down on it like a ton of bricks if you catch it chewing, the sister in laws has gone through cd’s, books, folders and a live mains cable! Ours started on the carpet and my toes, got a clip for his troubles and hasn’t done it since.
    All in all wouldn’t be without one now, and I was the one who needed convincing in our house.

Drac

Brilliant dogs had them for over 30 years now, loyal, lots of character, stubborn, cheeky, intelligent, loads of energy but happy with a small walk too, love to play with kids but can do a cheeky nip which can hurt and bruise, will run all day they were bread for following horses through the Cheviots.

Never had a one that’s chewed, the do the terrier thing of taking no notice now and then which seems to be worse at times with Borders. Sadly yes mine chases sheep sometimes he’s the only one that has, tempted to cure him the way my Grandfather tamed you Collies that got head strong, drop them in a pen with a few Ewes.

Great family dogs but you will need patience to train them as if they don’t want to do something they just won’t do it. That said my current one I adopted is the most obedient one I’ve had but still pleases his self at time, the sheep thing a prime example and spoils him.

Family Holiday Scottish West Coast 2010 by Lee Collis, on Flickr

Looking for his friends by Lee Collis, on Flickr

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about border terriers…’ is closed to new replies.