Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Telescope advice
  • FB-ATB

Hi
    Any astronomers about? I’m thinking of getting a telescope and a quick google shows a range of prices. Are the £50-£100 ones worse than those costing hundreds, so that they’d be rarely used thereby being a waste? But I don’t want to get something costing a lot that then becomes an ornament.

Thanks

Neil

rwamartin
    Free Member

I’m no expert but I believe that it’s generally better to go for a good pair of binoculars rather than a cheap telescope. If you combine the binoculars with a tripod mount you’d be quite well equipped for beginning astronomy.

tjagain

I have a cheap 3″ refractor that could be got for under £100 I guess. You can see the planets with it clearly. I also have a 5″ reflector that cost rather more – its a lot better but the key improvement is it has an equatorial mount so you only have to fiddle one knob to keep the object in view. I’d really like a bigger scope but then its becoming very big and unwieldy

So if you are not sure a cheap 3″ refractor will be enough to see planets which I love to see but a more expensive one will both give you a better view and be easier to use. One thing I really don’t like with the bigger scope is the sighting device – its not a proper mini scope and I find it hard to use

You will probably need some other eyepieces and filters as well to get the best of out of it so figure in the cost of them

Plenty available secondhand as well

Like most things its a curve on how good they are compared to cost – as scopes get more expensive the improvements get smaller.

tjagain

Huge amount of geekery about in forums and magazines as well including good starter guides and buyers guides

Depends what you want to do with it really but the Binos route did not appeal to me as I wanted enough magnification to see detail on planets

the 3″ refractor I can see the bands on jupitor and saturns rings as well as the moons for both of them. The bigger one is brighter and a bigger image so more detail but not a lot more

FB-ATB

Thanks for the advice. I’ll see if Mum still has my Dad’s binoculars- I think I still have my old (film)slr tripod in the loft so that would be an inexpensive start.

akira

Check the end for ink, I understand this bus a big problem.

LeeW

Speaking to the astronomers at work the investment is all in the basement.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I saw a reet big telescope in aldi on Saturday. Dunno if it’s any good. Looked good but as we know that’s not always a winning asset. Think it was about 50 quid.

dannybgoode

Similar thread a few months ago. My response as follows:

Skywatcher 130p. Speak to the guys at Clear View Optics-best astro guys around.

Alternatively look on astrobuysell. Excellent second hand astro site. I got a mint Skywatcher 150p and a decent enough mount for around £130 and that is enough to resolve Saturn’s rings and the weather bands on Jupiter.

Also get yourself on stargazerslounge.com – the STW of astronomy website. The beginners section is invaluable and the guys on there are hugely knowledgeable and being a UK site the advice is pertinent to astronomy in this country.

Alternatively a decent set of binoculars either 10×50 or 12×50 will let you see a surprising amount. Sign up to the binocular sky newsletter and have a look at that site also. Celestron are the go to budget brand and with good reason.

Finally budget for a copy of Turn Left at Orion and get Stellarium installed on your computer (desktop version is free, mobile app costs).

Any other questions fire away and I’ll try and help…

POSTED 5 MONTHS AGO #

daviek

As dannybgoode says above get yourself over to stargazerslounge its a very helpful forum and astrobuysell is probably the best site for second hand gear…. Just make sure your on the UK site and not the north American one.
    A dobsonian is a good first scope and you generally get more for your money over a equatorially mounted telescope due to the basic mount.
    Lots of apps for phones that you just point at the sky and it tells you what you’re looking at which is always handy.

Feel free to ask any questions but for the massive knowledge base head to stargazerslonge before you buy as they will help point you in the right direction.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Telescope advice’ is closed to new replies.