Telegraph drivel

Home Forum Bike Forum Telegraph drivel

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Telegraph drivel
  • Premier Icon jwr
    Subscriber

wwaswas: that’s more like it – a more balanced discussion. I suspect the Telegraph article was written purely to ignite argument. I doubt anyone could really be naive enough to think that all cyclists are head-down, lycra-clad thugs.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

already seen it on face book and didnt post on here because I didnt want to increase their hit rates
    theyll only produce more of the same gibberish if people read it

sugdenr

King Canute because Boris’s people are very busy behind the scenes gathering ‘big’ data to support a large budget shift towards cycling infrastructure and there is eff all they can do about it.

So its just torygraph nimbyistic noise, they are akin to small children moaning about other kids not playing the games they wanted to play.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

someone has copied it elsewhere so you wont increase their hit rate (tho you iwll miss out on the comments abusing the muppet that wrote it)

http://www.freezepage.com/1380190291PRPBQFPLFV

Jamie
    mrmo

If an abusive article was written about blacks, gays, women etc, would it be acceptable?

So why cyclists…

Premier Icon jwr
    Subscriber

Has anyone else read this article? To me it reads like an uncorrelated pile of brain-spew in which a misguided anti-cyclist tries to link our activities to library closures. Despite claiming to subscribe to a “to each his own” philosophy the author’s conclusions seem to be “I don’t like cycling, so no-one else should either”.

Shoddy, biased writing that doesn’t deserve to be described as journalism.

SkillWill

The Guardian has a good piece about all this:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/sep/22/cycling-daily-telegraph-lycra-louts

Just for the sake of balance.

brooess

The comments on the Telegraph article are hilarious… I like social media 🙂

whatnobeer

Oh dear, if only we were pushing all other traffic off the roads then the ride to work would be much nicer. Does that count as pseudo-intellectual bullshit? Or is it just normal bullshit. Either way, load of crap.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I think it’s the season for these sort of things again, “Clickbait” / “Linkbait” type articles bemoaning Lycra louts, the nights are closing in and weathers getting wetter, the fact that some people are still riding bicycles makes such an “Outlier” group that bit more obvious to the lazy journalist…

Its a tempting mix, knowing your readers are easing their way into a bit of SADS and identifying a group that it’s Okay to heap abuse on.
    Misanthropy season is here folks, so get used to it, I will gladly suffer derision by such piss poor writers, because I am simply a far better human being, such smugness is of course another reason to hate me, so Crack on then Jake you double barreled waste of space…

Could someone write a similar diatribe on shite journalist’s habbit of picking on cyclists please and publish it in actual print, not online but in a proper publication, we all know having an article published online really means the editor doesn’t think that much of your work, but recognises it’s generate a bit of advertising revenue…

Really we should rise above it all shouldn’t we… But online venting is still a bit fun now and then largely victimless…

My favourite comment:

What a pile of poo – is this really what the Telegraph is now reduced to? Please leave dross like this to the Daily mail, where it belongs.

Know your Readers…

boxfish

To quote the sage and poet Mr Ice Cube Esq, **** em.

WackoAK

This comment is the best one:

“Libraries are closing down because of cyclists.

Everybody:

O N E B I G S L O W C L A P
    F O R AN A B S O L U TE T U R D O F A N A R T I C L E”

lilchris

Let me be clear: I am not against cycling per se.

Where’s the link to that anti cycling checklist 🙄

Edit: missed cookeaa’s link.

Premier Icon jwr
    Subscriber

cookeaa: very good. Hadn’t seen that before.

warton

what the writer misses is that the government aren’t funding the ‘sport’ or ‘hobby’ of cycling, they are funding cycling as a transport means, to increase the countries health, to reduce reliance on motor vehicles and to reduce NHS costs. A very big point, he totally glosses over.

Squidlord

When I ride a bike, all of that is lost in favour of speed, danger, gritted teeth, and throbbing legs.

Doesn’t sound at all like any of the riding I do. What that bloke needs is a damn good bimble!

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

If an abusive article was written about blacks, gays, women etc, would it be acceptable?

So why cyclists…

One of the (many) failings of the PCC is an individual if they are mis-represented in the press theres are mechanism for that person to complain and if the complaint is upheld the paper has to print an apology and correction. But if an article mis-represents group of people theres no recourse.

So the press can print any kind of bias or lie about any group – immigrants, benefit claimants, bankers, cyclists, astronauts, gypsies or trombone players – and theres no need for them to either substantiate their claims, or balance their argument, or give a right to reply, and there are no sanctions either.

IanW

Bit of trolling, newspapers must be desperate at the mo.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Telegraph drivel’ is closed to new replies.