Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • The vaccination programme…wanna know how DAFT it can be….
  • MoreCashThanDash

I’m not happy at having a needle stuck in me by anyone who thinks “onboarding” is an appropriate term for normal use 🙃

dantsw13

I’ve been “awaiting on-boarding “ for so long it’s become normalised!! My bedside patter is better I promise 😎

joat

My bedside patter is better I promise

“you’ll just feel a little prick”?

Hats off to all you volunteers though, and you’ll have had some practice by the time you get to me (mid forties)

dantsw13

So… 1st shift as a vaccinator completed. I must admit I was nervous all morning whilst preparing. Wondering how we outsiders would be treated by the real Healthcare Staff?

I was:

Humbled by the amazing people I was working with. Seasoned pro’s and volunteers working hand in hand, pulling together.

Touched by the effect we had on people. Tears in their eyes as they got vaccinated. An end in sight. One patient hadn’t left their house since last March.

Proud to be part of a real national effort. No political slogans, just real people wanting to do a little bit to help.

This morning I was really hoping I would be able to actually vaccinate, as opposed to the many roles required on site. Whilst I did get to do that, by the end, I was downstairs in the store room humping boxes and counting stock. Once amongst all the other hardworking helpers it was just so obvious that it didn’t matter what I was doing. Every little job needed doing and was a small part of the big outcome.

If you can’t tell, I really enjoyed it and will be back on Monday for whatever they want me to do.

jimw
    Free Member

Dantsw
    Thank you, both for the update and your contribution. As you have already seen it really is appreciated.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Good job 👍

I’m STILL effing waiting for access to the app to book a shift
    😤
    (It’s only been 4 weeks since my training completed 🤷🏻‍♂️)

At least a SJA fleece arrived yesterday!

dantsw13

Have you got ID & eDBS all done?

If so might be worth an email to them?

It’s very frustrating waiting, but it does get there eventually!!

blokeuptheroad

@dantsw13 thanks for the update and for volunteering. Sounds like it’s worth the wait. A week now since I completed the training and no app, no uniform, no ID. Judging by what @sharkbait says, I may have some time to wait yet. I wouldn’t mind the wait if I had a timeline or a clear start date but the lack of those or any updates is very frustrating. I’m sure it will all be worthwhile when I do eventually start.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Have you got ID & eDBS all done?

Yep everything done.
    Got my ID card and eDBS arrived here 3 weeks ago but had actually been approved prior to the f2f training.
    I did email 2 weeks ago and got a “they’re finalising stuff” reply.

A consultant mate did point out that it’s a “job for life” as this is going to go on for a couple of years at least…… but I want to stab people NOW ……. humph!!

dantsw13

Are you part of a local “Team” yet? Our team leader in Sussex was very good at chasing stuff up.

As I understand it though, SJA admin are just maxed out.

And thanks all for your kind thoughts. I’m aware there are lots behind me on this path too👍

blokeuptheroad

Yeah, emailed the head of the local team I come under. He said he would try to chase things up with HR but effectively told me not to hold my breath. He said there is an average 2 week wait for ID after DBS is finished but I got my DBS cert nearly a month ago.

bruneep

NHS Grampian the gift that keeps giving. Mrs b has been given her 1st shift at TECA, slap bang in-between her nights 🙄. despite her giving them a list of dates and they’ve just ignored it it seems.

There are no numbers to call to change this and she has emailed everyone involved that has been on the emails sent to her to try and change it. Nothing at all. So come thursday they will be one person short if they even notice.

chowsh
    Free Member

I’m in the same position as many. Did all the training, got the uniform, waited on ID card then got sent 2. Got given access to the app but unable to book shifts. Finally that has been sorted and volunteered for a shift as an advocate as none showing for vaccinators at the Kassam in Oxford. Not had that confirmed yet though. I think SJA have just had such a big number of volunteers they haven’t had the capacity to deals with everything yet. Looking forward to getting out and doing something.

dantsw13

Chowsh – if your centre is like mine, the NHS & SJA don’t seem to align with rostering at all, so you may well turn up & get vaccinating anyway. Whatever you do, enjoy it, as its great fun.

blokeuptheroad

My ID card arrived today, which is something. Still no uniform or app.

robbo1234biking

Wife did her first shift as a volunteer today. Can only do marshalling as she has asthma (they wouldnt let her do vaccinating). Books via a rostering system and she has been able to book shifts for the next 5 weeks. This is in Derby.

chowsh
    Free Member

dantsw13 – I figured I’m trained to vaccinate so allowed to do any of the 3 roles. I’ll show up and do what’s needed,and find out what the situation is. I can get to some of the other centres if needed as well so I’m sure I’ll have opportunities do do all 3 roles. Partly it’s feeling like I’m doing something, working from home for the last year has been a bit boring.
    I seem to get 2 responses to the emails I have sent and often they say 2 different things.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Any chance anyone knows anything about obtaining data from Pinnacle/PharmOutcomes?

I’ve got a bit of a workaround that gets me some of it, but could really do with the whole dataset. For some reason the line of communication to the software supplier is even more non-existent than usual 🤪

sharkbait
    Free Member

Are you part of a local “Team” yet?

Yep, that was assigned the week after I did my f2f training.

I emailed the team head weeks ago and he just forwarded it to someone else who didn’t come up with a solution.

Anyway I emailed SJA again on Saturday and today got another email saying which team of been assigned to (same as before) but it now has a new leader who also emailed me about a team online meeting in a week’s time.
    So things may be starting to move.

I actually think that the NHS are simply not really using the SJA volunteers in vaccination roles yet.
    Greedy.

chowsh
    Free Member

Any updates?
    I have volunteered for quite a few shifts at Kassam, Ashton Gate, & Bucks but not had a single one come through. Spoke to the team who run the GRS app and it seems some people have volunteered for every post on every shift going and admin are having to sort through and try spread the work around. Frustrating that there is no notification of a declined offer which makes it hard to sort out with work. I have to let them know what I have volunteered for and may need to take off and then have to keep going back saying I won’t need to take the time off. The SJA regional coordinator takes days to respond to an email. Having spent time doing all the online and face to face training it all seems a bit of a waste at present. I wonder if they have just trained up too many people?

dyna-ti

I’m working on the premise that the longer it takes for an appointment to come through for inoculation, the fitter my doctor thinks I am 😀

sharkbait
    Free Member

I wonder if they have just trained up too many people?

I’m still waiting for access to the app – my local team leader is looking into it for me. I think there’s been a massive uptake of the volunteering options and SJA can’t really cope – might be wrong though.

alanf
    Free Member

I got my appointment today which was a bit of a surprise.
    Apparently I’m in one the groups next on the list.

About 4 years ago I had an MI and needed resus and a stent blah blah blah, and as such must be in one the at risk groups as I’m only 46.
    The thing is, since then I’ve been fine – I’m on meds, no cause for concern at yearly check-ups. I run every day and I feel as fit as I’ve ever been and this is the first time since the start of the first lock down that I’ve been contacted by any healthcare services.
    I’m not complaining though, but just find it a bit odd that I take priority over others who would maybe be more in need of it sooner?

dantsw13

Just enjoy the relief and get it👍

The system isn’t smart enough to handle outliers, and it’s more hassle to try and change.

chowsh
    Free Member

45 minutes after sending a stroppy email to my local coordinator about lack of any communication an mail from the admin team pops up with 2 shifts scheduled, not vaccinating but that’s not a big deal.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m not complaining though, but just find it a bit odd that I take priority over others who would maybe be more in need of it sooner?

Pretty much any underlying health condition on your record means you’re in cohort 6. The guidance on what an UHC is, is so vague that we’re pulling in pretty much anything to define the cohort.

white101

Yip, I got a call on Tuesday telling me I was level 6 so I had my vaccine today. My affliction…I’m coeliac. Didnt expect anything till the summer but I didnt knock back the opportunity.

gonefishin
    Free Member

My affliction…I’m coeliac

Pardon my ignorance but isn’t that an autoimmune disorder and hence the group 6? I’m group 6 too with MS and getting mine next week.

bruneep

Mrs B did her 1st shift yesterday, things she noted.
    TECA building was freezing, she has been given a gilet however its size XXXL I’ve bought her one tht fits online
    It was quite relaxed, shes more used to the manic Labour wards
    It was generally well organised.
    She gets a free lunch, she was told this would be the case but still took something just in case as she’s never had lunch provided all her yrs in NHS 😁
    The people getting jabbed were on the whole very happy to be getting the jab, she had 2 miserable people one in particular was rude and almost abusive towards her….. Both of these people refused to stay the 15mins afterwards, went to the seated area sat down for a moment then got up. Just why are some people like this?
    Due to shortages she’ll be only working once a week, TECA only open Mon-Fri now was 7 days.
    Communication to her is still an issue it became apparent she has missed out on some updates on the vaccine.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I had my 1st jag appointment on Monday past, no idea why as I’m 37 with no health conditions. Still feel like somebody gave me a dead arm recently. Seemingly they’ve had loads my age through which seems odd considering there are still over 60s waiting for it.

blokeuptheroad

I finished my training nearly three 3 weeks ago, having first applied in mid January. The post training admin has dragged on but finally I have my uniform, ID and 2 days ago the rostering app which allows me to book shifts. I have my first “patient advocate” (meet and greet not vaccinating) shift on Monday and my first vaccinator shift on Thursday. It’s been a long haul and a little frustrating at times but I’m now looking forward to starting and being part of this amazing effort.

Oh and I’m 57 next month, but no Jab for me yet. I think this voluntary role makes me eligible for one, I’ll maybe ring the GP to ask.

gonefishin
    Free Member

TECA building was freezing

Good to know, well not good for the workers obviously. I’ll make sure to take a warm jacket!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oh and I’m 57 next month, but no Jab for me yet. I think this voluntary role makes me eligible for one

Absolutely it does…. They should have told you this at your training!
    You may be offered one in your first shift but it’s not guaranteed – but you can also book one through the NHS web site.
    I can give you the link if you PM me.

Good you’ve got some shifts sorted.
    I’m still waiting and generally fairly pissed off by the very poor support from SJA.
    I know there’s a lot of people still waiting for access to the roster.
    Also had an email last night saying that no volunteers are needed at my local vaccination centre for the next couple of weeks but then it will be ramping up.
    I’ve “heard” that the NHS have said they can deal with the vaccination rollout without outside help – but this is rediculous as using others would simply allow HCPs to get back to doing “proper work”!

nickc

Pardon my ignorance but isn’t that an autoimmune disorder and hence the group 6?

No, it isn’t.

blokeuptheroad

@sharkbait thanks. It was mentioned very briefly in passing on the training but a bit vague as to how to get it. I’ll ask on Monday and if no joy I’ll look at the NHS web site route.

I’ve had to “shop around” a bit to get shifts. The nearest location, which is still a 90 minute round trip only seems to have advocate or patient care shifts, most of the vaccinator shifts are massively over subscribed. This is where I am doing my first advocate shift on Monday.

But I looked at another location slightly further away and have managed to book, and have confirmed 3 vaccinator shifts. I think as long as I am prepared to drive an hour each way, there are 4 or 5 locations I could look at so I should be able to find shifts somewhere.

Of course in an ideal world I would help at the pop up centre on a race course a 20 minute cycle ride away!

I hope SJA sort your admin out and you get some shifts soon.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Of course in an ideal world I would help at the pop up centre on a race course a 20 minute cycle ride away!

Not Chester are you?

blokeuptheroad

Not Chester are you?

No, Ludlow. But coincidentally I was born and grew up in Chester.

blokeuptheroad

So, full of beans earlier, as I had 4 shifts booked and confirmed. 1 advocate and 3 vacinator shifts at 2 different locations. I got an email late this afternoon saying “sorry, your shift is cancelled”. It didnt even say which location, let alone which shift! The first is on Monday and is a 50 minute drive, do I go or not!? No answer on the phone or email and my local “vaccination lead” couldn’t help.

After a grumpy reply to the original email, I eventually got a clarification 5 minutes ago – all three vaccinator shifts are now cancelled. A search shows there are none at all to be had anywhere at the 5 or 6 venues in a 90 minute radius of me for the foreseeable future.

I’ve volunteered for a few more “advocate” (meet and greet) shifts, but I’m a bit disillusioned TBH. I could have done a similar role 10 minutes away at a local venue through the RVS without all the training, vetting etc. SJA admin is appalling, beginning to have some doubts about all this and whether I’ll get to do the role I volunteered and trained for.

white101

@gonefishin your correct it is an auto immune condition
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coeliac-disease/

I’d never considered it would put me in a position to get the vaccine so early, I’m very grateful and although was a little achy yesterday I’m not complaining one bit

nickc

all three vaccinator shifts are now cancelled.

Doesn’t surprise me TBH. we’ve had our supplies of vaccine slowly choked over the last few weeks leading to fewer shifts and less need for vaccinators. I suspect that as we’re approaching the dates where we’ll need to start on 2nd dosing the priority groups we’ve already done, probably very soon you’ll find there are all the shifts you could possibly need or want.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘The vaccination programme…wanna know how DAFT it can be….’ is closed to new replies.