• This topic has 193 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 194 total)
  • Teen breaks down before Brown
  • tyger
    Free Member

clicky

I was moved by this but surely being comforted by the one man who could have made a difference sticks in my throat!

iDave
    Free Member

he couldn't make a difference as he won't bring in the living wage – even if he was going to be in charge after thursday

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Sticks in your throat to think she works at the treasury and the amount of money bankers have had from the taxpayer to bail them out and still nothing changes, were is the balance. Very sad.

BoardinBob

Moaning faced cow

Her mother should have paid more attention in school and she wouldn't have ended up as a cleaner.

soobalias
    Free Member

i thought all civil servants were overpaid lazy wasters that are of no use to society.

m_cozzy
    Free Member

If the woman was poor and evidently would struggle to support offspring, then she should have made the decision NOT to have children.
    Seems obvious to me.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If the woman was poor and evidently would struggle to support offspring, then she should have made the decision NOT to have children.

Seems obvious to me.

And it seems obvious to me, that your mother shouldn't have had children. Some people just make mistakes.

tyger
    Free Member

+1 ernie

hitman
    Free Member

Seems obvious to me.

And it seems obvious to me, that your mother shouldn't have had children. Some people just make mistakes.

nice!

deft
    Free Member
    eldridge
    Free Member

You hearless b@st@rd. Have you read Dickens?

"They are Man's," said the Spirit, looking down upon
    them. "And they cling to me, appealing from their fathers.
    This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,
    and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for
    on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the
    writing be erased. Deny it!" cried the Spirit, stretching out
    its hand towards the city. "Slander those who tell it ye!
    Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse.
    And bide the end!"

"Have they no refuge or resource?" cried Scrooge.

"Are there no prisons?" said the Spirit, turning on him
    for the last time with his own words. "Are there no workhouses?"

boxelder

I think Brown's as upset by that kind of situation as anyone who isn't personally involved. In the clip you can tell he's squirming and hand wringing – but he always seems to me to genuinely care.
    Not sure the same can be said for others.
    How about we all pay more income tax to fund public services?

Worst protest ever

Oh dear – looks like a school drama class re-enactment.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How about we all pay more income tax to fund public services?

How about we nationalise the banks and utility companies so that their profits can fund public services?

project
    Free Member

Probably the cleaners are paid for by a large private company who makes a profit on their work and has no pension to pay for its workers, its called privatisation ,and thatcher brouht it in.

As for haveing no laptop,there is a free government scheme to give laptops free to low waged families,Comet are part of the scheme, as are some schools.

Some of the banks are almost privatised in words but not actions of the government.

The utility companies are owned by foreigners.

iDave
    Free Member

Moaning faced cow

Her mother should have paid more attention in school and she wouldn't have ended up as a cleaner.

Seems obvious to me.

part of a rounded personality is compassion – didn't they teach you that at Eton?

probably the most khuntish things i've seen posted here, which takes some doing

Woody
    Free Member

The thing that strikes me most about it is the fact he just sat there and did nothing – was he waiting for Mandy to go and comfort her? Great chance to demonstrate some compassion and show that he does have 'feelings', gone begging. Tony would have been straight in there with a hanky and flowers.

He really is a dour b@st@rd.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The thing that strikes me most about it is the fact he just sat there and did nothing

I take it that you didn't bother watching the clip til the end then ?

boxelder

How about we nationalise the banks and utility companies so that their profits can fund public services?

Are you saying Labour privatised them all? ….. because I think you'll find…….

Saddest thing about this election is the level of self interest shown by so many voters. Somebody new will probably be in charge on Friday and they'll all be happy and forget about politics until fuel prices rise, or the Sun bleats about immigration or Health, and then they'll demand the next change.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Are you saying Labour privatised them all?

😕 Eh ?……..wtf you on about ?

Talkemada
    Free Member

BoringBob – Member
    Moaning faced cow

That rash not cleared up yet then? Must be very itchy…

Woody
    Free Member

I take it that you didn't bother watching the clip til the end then ?

Yes I did. Too little, too late and well after she had been comforted by loads of others.

sweepy
    Free Member

how about we nationalise the banks and utility companies and pay more taxes- redress the balance a bit

Ive tried to make a point of not being nasty to people on the internet, some arseholes dont half make that difficult

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

……..after she had been comforted by loads of others.

Loads of others like her mother, family and friends ?

Gordon Brown clearly waited until he was convinced that she had actually finished, before getting up.

I'm sorry if you think that he should have acted like a quick off the mark paedophile and hugged her the very moment she started sobbing, but I reckon he did it just right – any sooner would have been unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

And what do you mean by saying that he did "too little" ?

What exactly did you expect him to do ……..sit her of his lap ffs ?

Oh and btw, you originally said, quote :"he just sat there and did nothing"……..as now you claim that you had seen the whole clip, why did you say that ?

Woody
    Free Member

Ooh we have a Gordon fan.

Can't be bothered to argue with you, especially as you are rather quick (quite inappropriately) to use a paedophile analogy.

That was my opinion, if you don't like it I really don't care. 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ooh we have a Gordon fan.

No, I can't stand the geezer ……….nor any of the other New Labour shower, for that matter.

What I don't understand is why you said, quote :

"The thing that strikes me most about it is the fact he just sat there and did nothing"

When it is very clear that he gets up to comfort her.

"That was my opinion"

No it wasn't. It was a false comment. You admitted afterwards that you had seen him get up – so why did you say that he hadn't ?

And you still haven't explained what you mean by him having done "too little". He put his arm round her and comforted her – what more did you want him to do ? Hug her ? Kiss her ? What ?

BTW, the paedophile analogy was completely appropriate………had he done any more, he would have looked like one.

chewkw
    Free Member

Did she cry for an iMac 24"?

🙄

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

The problem isn't the wages, it's the cost of living. Principally housing.

None of the parties want to tackle that problem though.

Rio

Clegg did tackle this almost sensibly in a session this week – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lNRJU7TVwM. But in general it's gone in the "too hard" bucket for all the parties (as shown by the waffle in the last TV debate) – deflating house prices is not a vote winner, it's another tough thing that the next government will have to sort out.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Damn it. After watching the clip he looks like a human being with compassion for a girl doing a very difficult thing and having a hard time doing it. I think he judged it just right.

wwaswas

agree, he was clearly agitated, all that rocking and hand movement – but he wanted to let her finish.

toomanybikes
    Free Member

well, i suppose she could always go back to chile and get a job there, perhaps she could then afford the laptop she was whining on about not being able to afford

tron
    Free Member

I think when it does happen, it'll be a case of very slow price growth, at less than the rate of inflation, causing house prices to fall in real terms, but not in such a way as the average joe will notice or understand.

jonb
    Free Member

Surely over the last 13 years Gordon and the Government had an oportunity to fix this kind of thing?

Living wage is an interesting one. If companies are obliged to pay there staff a living wage then they may end up automating and/or moving to a cheaper country (we've already seen it with call centres and manufacturing going to India and China). This will result in job losses putting burden on us all to pay there total living costs. Better to have a lower wage topped up by the government/tax payer than have the entire sum payed by the tax payer?

The first and IMO obvious step is to stop people paying tax on any income below a living wage and redistribute the burden higher up (despite my hatred of the Lib Dem "Fair Tax System" policy), this stops the waste involved in taxing people and then giving them their money back as benefits.

Cue, angry Labour supporters…

toomanybikes
    Free Member

[quote]If the woman was poor and evidently would struggle to support offspring, then she should have made the decision NOT to have children.
    Seems obvious to me.

part of a rounded personality is compassion – didn't they teach you that at Eton?

probably the most khuntish things i've seen posted here, which takes some doing

So, what's wrong with saying if she couldn't afford kids she shouldn't have had them, people need to have a bit of self-control, you shouldn't have kids then expect the state to look after them because you can't afford to, the country just cannot afford the bill, the country is skint, and it's not just the bankers fault, the government have to take some of the blame, Brown wasted the countries riches through years of profligate spending on the state benefits system, and if it takes 5 years of Tory government to bring down the welfare bill, well then so be it, 'cos Labour won't do it, and we will just end up like Greece.

tron
    Free Member

Living wage is an interesting one. If companies are obliged to pay there staff a living wage then they may end up automating and/or moving to a cheaper country (we've already seen it with call centres and manufacturing going to India and China).

Maybe, maybe not. I can't help but feel that the prospect of outsourcing is used solely as a method of driving down pay (there are big problems with outsourcing for a business, that can outweigh the cost savings) – executive pay has risen massively in the West over the last 10-15 years, whilst the pay of everyone else has stayed fairly static. I don't see how that's fair or sensible.

tron
    Free Member

So, what's wrong with saying if she couldn't afford kids she shouldn't have had them, people need to have a bit of self-control, you shouldn't have kids then expect the state to look after them because you can't afford to, the country just cannot afford the bill, the country is skint, and it's not just the bankers fault, the government have to take some of the blame, Brown wasted the countries riches through years of profligate spending on the state benefits system, and if it takes 5 years of Tory government to bring down the welfare bill, well then so be it, 'cos Labour won't do it, and we will just end up like Greece.

She could well have afforded to have kids when she had her daughter, but any number of circumstances in the intervening 14 years could have reduced her household income.

Rio

the waste involved in taxing people and then giving them their money back as benefits

A cynic would say that this process makes it look to the recipient more as though they are dependent on the government, whereas the alternative of not taking the money makes it look to them as though they are managing despite the government. Some governments may therefore prefer the current approach.

DezB
    Free Member

I never had a laptop to help with my homework. Didn't cry about it either.

Woody
    Free Member

"That was my opinion"

No it wasn't. It was a false comment.

You take things too literally old boy but you don't seem to understand the term 'my opinion'. The facts are that he sat squirming with embarrassment and rubbing his knees when a more compassionate person eg. the clergyman first (undoubtedly a paed using your criteria) and then 23 seconds later her teacher? went to her assistance quite naturally. He did not get off his chair at this point, which was what I was referring to. Those are facts, my opinion and take on when I first viewed the clip was as per my first post.

D0NK

deflating house prices is not a vote winner

Erm how would the government reduce house prices? Sureley house prices are based on what people are willing to pay for them (no doubt with a shedload of goading from estate agents and valuers)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Teen breaks down before Brown’ is closed to new replies.