Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • techy internet/ hifi type question
  • nicko74

I'm shortly moving to a new place where I won't have my CDs, and may rely more on internet radio, Spotify and suchlike. I'm planning to keep my Arcam hifi – and my question is, what are the options for getting these sources to play through it?

I guess the easiest way is to have a netbook running the music, and plug it via 3.5mm-RCA cable into the Arcam. Not elegant, but cheap and easy.
    How about internet radio units and/ or music streamers? I know nothing about them, except they could be quite cool…

theflatboy
    Free Member

the squeezebox used to be the device of choice for such a use – streams music from your computer and has internet radio; good quality sound too.

don't know if there are better options since its reign.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

avoid using laptop heaphone out like the plague, they vary but most are very noisy

theflatboy
    Free Member

just noticed you mentioned spotify – don't think the squeezebox did/does spotify…

cynic-al
    Free Member

aiport express?

molgrips
    Free Member

Simplest thing would be an internet radio standalone unit connected to a hifi I'd say. Stick an ipod on the top and you're off. Easier than having to boot up a pc and start streaming.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Depends if you've cash to spend. The Sonos stuff is pretty cool and the unit would just connect into the Arcam no problem. Bit expensive though.

woody2000

iPod touch + dock? Wifi for Internet radio, reasonable capacity for your ripped music.

hoberinos
    Free Member

plus1 for aiport express

Used with Airfoil you can stream any audio to remote speakers (Spotify, iPlayer etc.).
    Sound quality is good, but you have to play with the levels a bit.

nicko74

I had a look at the Squeezebox Duet and it looks rather nice. Digital out to use the Arcam's DAC; direct internet radio, plus streaming from your own source of music (in this case probably a netbook with a HDD or Spotify on it) AND, most importantly, a remote control! With screen and buttons and all that!

The ipod plus dock isn't a bad shout tho – my hifi has an RS232 port for better integration with such docks.

Sui
    Free Member

can you plug a dongle straigh into these things if you don't have home WiFi router??

clubber
    Free Member

I have a media centre PC – something like this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140998

plus a hard disk, memory and operating system – not expensive all in (run it through your TV assuming you've got an HD LCD) and you've got a great setup plus you can watch internet TV.

NZCol

Naim Uniti would solve it. Mine works perfectly streaming from iTunes via, umm, can;t remember the uPNP server s/w but is awesome.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘techy internet/ hifi type question’ is closed to new replies.