Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Technical question.
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

long shot this I know but…
    I’m looking into a Stumpjumer from 2010 but it required a shock which fits into part of the linkage of the bike directly rather than using bushings and a bolt.
    like this one a few months ago.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fox-rp23-upgrade-for-stumpjumper-2010-2011-evo
    Anyone have one of these as the Triad shock is not very relyable and is off putting. Can other shocks be fitted by removing the shock body eye?

porter_jamie

i am about to make a converter for my brothers stumpy so he can fit a conventional shock. it is going to look a bit like an ibis one

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/eurobike-2011-ibis-show-new-ripley-29er-31552/

Rickos
    Free Member

It’ll be a long wait to find one 2nd hand I’d have thought. Fox/Mojo will be able to do you a new one – they make the Triad for Specialized.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Jamie that is remarkable. If you could make one of those I’d offer a hand full of my readys for a copy.
    How are you going to manage to make one of those?

porter_jamie

it is going to be cnc milled from ally.

let me finish the one for my brothers stumpy and i will send you some piccies.

in the meantime, can you confirm the “I2I” of your triad and importantly the stroke, and the i2i and stroke of the shock you are considering using.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

The specified one is 200mm but the stroke is 47 shortened from 50 but there is some debate about what effect 50mm would have as standard.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Further to our conversation about these things having a need elsewhere but have a browse through the forums on this page in the suspension section.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/support/faq/

Quite a few might be interested.

DickBarton

What is the issue with the Triad? Thought it was made by Fox and was largely the same as an RP unit but with a lockout option?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Appears to like spewing it’s oil out by all accounts. The Brain shock by Specialized is better but Spesh want 499 for it!
    Rp23 is better and cheaper by all accounts.
    Me I don’t like being told what I can have and what I can’t due to some wierd shock linkage.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

has anyone built their own shock mount? Looks simple but I suspect it’s not.

Rickos
    Free Member

Mojo will build you a new RP23 using the Stumpy specific tube. Give them a call.

compositepro
    Free Member

you need to speak to porter_jamie on here

Note to self read **** thread properly 😳

porter_jamie

we had the stumpy apart at the weekend, and we measured everything up. Modelling it up now, hope to get a prototype make asap.

porter_jamie

teamslug
    Free Member

Respect to you Mr Porter. Love it when folks come up with solutions to problems the big boys can’t be arsed with. Hope you make a few bob for your trouble. If you want it powder coating drop me a line and i’ll sort it free gratis..

wiltouterrain
    Free Member

Hello riders!
    I’m a french MTB addict for 20 years,ridding à stumpy carbon 2010,I removed brain shock for à RP23,200mmx57mm.
    I still have original sleever and air body with RP23 head.travel and shock lenght reduced to 55mm and 198mm to get the first stump evo carbon!
    now my goal would to put a standard fox shox,like DHX4-5 with Ti spring,don’t like air shocks in fact!!
    so Porter,if you make some of this perfect adaptator,I’ll be you first customer!!
    you can also imagine the same exentric as demo has…
    William

wiltouterrain
    Free Member

first mount,with hight volume air body:

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Oh nope thats not quite working.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Any news on the link sir?

RustyMac

This link takes you to what wiltouterrain was posting

http://wiltouterrain.pinkbike.com/album/shocks/

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

That’s what I’m trying to get round. Why why why? Don’t want to be stuck with a shock they might not make forever.

porter_jamie

so, got a design (above), and i am currently thinking about how to make it! found some ally too. should start on monday.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

uber cool. Not a clue how long this might take, lets guess at erm 36 seconds?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Hows the tinkering coming along?

wiltouterrain
    Free Member

Hi riders,
    Happy you could see my mods on the stumpy’s shock!
    Today I really want to put à coil shock,with Ti spring.
    So Porter_Jamie, I’m still interrested in your shock adaptator!
    Bur I don’t post/read often,I’m on holliday.
    If you suddently sell several off theses parts,could you tell me about,on pinkbike or here with PM ??
    Thanks,
    and have good rides all!!

porter_jamie

Getting there, been very busy recently though, I am making the fixture at the moment.

takisawa2

That model looks ideal for a Glass-Filled Nylon SLS.
    If it fits ok then a posh sintered alloy version.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Takisawa – Stop using all these exciting words or i’m going to have to go and have a lay down! 😯

DickBarton

Why buy the bike if you don’t like how it is made? Get rid and get a bike that does it how you want…

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I want this bike, just with more choice.

soobalias
    Free Member

I’m looking into a Stumpjumer from 2010 but it required a shock which fits into part of the linkage of the bike directly rather than using bushings and a bolt.

technical answer, dont support those companys who so readily force their new ‘standards’ on the consumer

porter_jamie

i think you will find specialized are not holding a gun to anyone’s head in the shop (unless i am missing any new sales techniques)

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Your right, it was a crossbow. I great idea – direct mount design. Hindered only by a shock that wanted to be something else, like a watering can or an ashtray, but not a shock.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Any news Mr Porter?

wiltouterrain
    Free Member

still on the starting blocks to get your magic piece Mr Porter!! 🙂

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Right that’s it I guess day 1 of holiday and I’ve splurged me shock juice out of my fox triad shock yet again.
    Before I launch this shock at Specialized is there any news on this lovely shock mount? .

wiltouterrain
    Free Member

yes, up!!! 🙂

wiltouterrain
    Free Member

Hi Riders!!
    how are you Porter?
    did you make the fabulus shock adapter?

wiltouterrain
    Free Member

CNC cost about 130 euros in france ,but now I’ve this shock,it’s wonderfull:
    :mrgreen:

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Technical question.’ is closed to new replies.