Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • Team kit.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Where do we stand on riding in team kit?
    As the Sky team are busy racing I figure the guy I saw this afternoon in TeamSky kit was not a team member.
    For me it’s a no-no.

iDave
    Free Member

Similar to adults wearing football shirts in public, ie a bit sad-sacky

druidh
    Free Member

WGAS?

donsimon
    Free Member

Oh. 😥
    *takes Man Utd shirt off to reveal beer gut and tattoos*

druidh – Member

WGAS?
    Struggle with banter, do we?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with it imo. Full get up can look a bit naff though. Shirt/shorts on their own are fine.

crikey
    Free Member

Subtle historical hangover from yesteryear.. If you were a racer or a club rider, you would always ride in your club kit, so people who rode in trade jerseys were not… part of the scene, if you will.

These days, people wear whatever they want to, but that trade-jerseys-are-a-bit-sus thing still lingers on.

I wouldn’t, but I’ve been riding for long enough to have so many jerseys that I don’t need trade kit.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – it was just “banter”. You weren’t really judging other folks dress sense like your opinion would actually count for something.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I seldom wear my own team kit if i am not racing. (yes we have a kit but are a ‘team’ in the least organised or pofessional sense possible!) Reason being the odd cheeky diversion on many rides and everyone knowing everyone round here. A couple of years ago another local team were ‘identified’ by a parky/ranger/groundsman type on an advertised/organised large group ride which was particlularly cheeky (I couldn’t possibly say where it was on a public forum, neither do i ride there), because half of them were wearing the team kit.

As for ‘proper’ teams: Anyone’s bib shorts is fine for me because you buy the best fitting and quality for your gooch, who cares what it says across your bum? Jerseys: I once slightly drunkenly ebay purchased a kinesis jersey to match my kinesis xc pro, and I could never bring myself to wear the jersey on the bike! I like old ones that weren’t particularly successful in the grand scheme of things and preferably look a bit silly. I keep meaning to find a ‘Bonjour’ jersey.

Matching overshoes/socks/mitts/musettes? If you really have to, but only if they are all for different teams. Been a wee while since I saw a team bike/strip/accessories ‘perfect ten’. 😆

matt_outandabout

What is this ‘team kit’ you speak of?

matt_outandabout

Is this team kit?

Stu_N

I have a Liquigas jersey as they, like me, ride Cannondales and it’s bright green so good for visibility. Oh, and a Highroad one someone bough me as a present. Don’t see what’s wrong with it really.

People riding jerseys they haven’t earned is different – thinking replica leaders jerseys and national/ world champions. That’s very wrong.

donsimon
    Free Member

rocketman
    Free Member

Fail of epic proportions if you’re not actually in the team as witnessed by the plethora of Team Hope/Sky/Whatever kit seen on the local trails. It’s on a similar scale to using race number plates around trail centres.

I can understand people wanting to show their allegiance or bask in a bit of reflected glory but really, take a step back and look at yourselves.

emsz
    Free Member

Whatevers in the bargain bin!

iDave
    Free Member

A bit like 555 Imprezzas

cheez0
    Free Member

surely the idea is that folks buy a shirt/kit to help fund the teams?

a bit like footy?

would agree with Stu-N about buying a yellow or green jersey ala TDF, thats plain wannabee.

Garry_Lager

King of the mountains jersey is surely asking for trouble. Unless you’re a fattie in which case it has a certain ironic appeal.

13thfloormonk

I’ve got a liquigas top, and (wait for it) it even matches my bike-to-work, team edition Cannondale CAAD9

I only save it for special occasions though, you know, like sportives. 8)

*this is all true

Edit: In fact, now I think about it I’ve also got a Charge team top (given to me by Charge though, if that counts) and a matching short sleeve and Jacket set of some of the original super flouro Kona team gear.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have a Death Row Velo team kit in hot pink.

It goes see through in the wet. Druidh said he liked it.

13thfloormonk

ignore this post

loum
    Free Member

I’m almost twice the size and age of him, but I still want a “Messi 10” shirt.

Edit: I never played for Barça

druidh
    Free Member

Take the Sky stuff for a moment.

It’s made by Adidas, who provide sponsorship to the team.

They also sell it to Joe Public.

So, by buying Sky team kit, you’re actually helping to support Cavendish, Wiggins etc.

druidh
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – Member
    ignore this post

Why? It made a very good point 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve always seen them as a bit of a mistake? It’s far easier to buy a generic plain old jersey, no big issue though.
    I only wear a club jersey for races or ‘events’.
    Plain or bike related ones otherwise i.e Giant or On-One.

I guy turned up at the Rapha HOTN in a WC jersey, I saw him towards the end of the 100kms. He and his cronies clocked us just finishing a 15km loop near the finish, but instead of doing that part of the route they raced to the finish.
    You only cheated yourself young man.

13thfloormonk

Why? It made a very good point

I thought I was maybe taking the thread too seriously!

I’m just getting upset at the moment because all the things I am doing on my road bike seem to be WRONG, such as enjoying sportives, wearing team kit etc etc. 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

I only wear a club jersey for races or ‘events’.

I don’t have a problem with club jerseys it’s the Sky/Saeco/KOM etc that I disagree with.
    I am used to clubs sponsoring riders in Spain and as such you, the rider, are an advert for your team and much the same as Cav has to wear team colours so it’s fine for a club rider to represent the club. I used to wear a rowing splash top outside club activities.
    It’s matey boy huffing and puffing up the slightest incline wearing the KOM that’s a bit ridiculous.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rule #17 // Team kit is for members of the team.
    Wearing Pro team kit is also questionable if you’re not paid to wear it. If you must fly the colors of Pro teams, all garments should match perfectly, i.e no Mapei jersey with Kelme shorts and Telekom socks.

That’s what the bible says….

footflaps

The Sky kit is just worn by wanna-a-be look-at-me aspiring racers who aren’t actually good enough to get any real sponsorship and just race round Cannock instead.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I wear my own Team kit on almost every ride I go on, unless its all in the wash, which is rare.

My team gives it to me because its got our sponsors on, and they want us to wear it so everyone else sees it. If I only wore it to race then that would be a very small fraction of my riding time.

Also, being a polite and courteous cyclist means that everyone can see how fantastic and amazing my team is….

13thfloormonk

Yeah… I’m not sure how much credence to give a bible on road cycling written by Kiwis that dictates EXACTLY how long one’s socks should be, and how you should wear your hair 😀

13thfloormonk

The Sky kit is just worn by wanna-a-be look-at-me aspiring racers who aren’t actually good enough to get any real sponsorship and just race round Cannock instead.

Yep, thats exactly why I wear my team kit, because I reckon it will fool people into thinking I’m pro. 🙄

Frankly I reckon frames/tops look better with massive garish logos and bright paint jobs, anyone brought up watching TdF will just have that mental image of how road bikes/cyclists should look. I own a road bike and ride it on the roads, therefore I’m happy to pander to that look.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I like the look of the Sky kit, I got it as a present and I’ll wear it where and when I please – which includes Aussi pursuits, training, commuting and even a MTB marathon. It’s just kit, it’s look and performs well, and if I upset somebody with it I laugh at them for taking riding bikes so seriously 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

I ride around in my own team’s kit a lot too- mostly because I’ve got loads of it so there’s always at least one piece of it clean and ready to wear.

I do have a team Sky roadie hat though. Why? Because it was by far and away the most stylish cap my shop sold and the blue matched our own kit. That and it was nice quality too. You also can’t see the word “Sky” when it’s on.

A lot of the modern kit is actually quite tasteful, and I’d not object to a pair of Sky or Leopard shorts- mostly because the Leopard shorts are stunning quality and could just about pass as normal ones.

djc1245
    Free Member

I’m with Swalsey. Wear what i like when i like

DT78
    Free Member

I have sky bibs, cheap from gunwharf. Reckon matching top was a bit much.

edhornby

the trade tops don’t bother me – the only thing I really don’t want to see is the WC bands, they are worn by people who win a specific race (I know that the team jerseys are given to those who work for a team but the same top is worn by leader and domestique, win or lose alike so there is a distinction)

You can buy retro jerseys from prendas that are great quality that also neatly avoid any glory hunting accusation

thomthumb
    Free Member

i only wear my rainbow stripes on my commute – where i won them 😉

aracer
    Free Member

It’s matey boy huffing and puffing up the slightest incline wearing the KOM that’s a bit ridiculous.

druidh
    Free Member

Nice brakes

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a 1988 Team Stumpjumper jersey I wear a lot.

mega cool.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Team kit.’ is closed to new replies.