Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Team Ineos
  • timidwheeler

New Team Sky sponsor announced.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/47608625

Sponsored by a chemicals giant!

finbar
    Free Member

I didn’t think they’d be able to find a sponsor more damaging than the Murdoch empire, but they’ve managed it and then some with INEOS and their fracking business: https://www.ineos.com/businesses/ineos-shale/

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yeah well they’re no more controversial than the other chemical, plastics and petrochemical companies that sponsors some of the other teams…or the state of the UAE which sponsors one, or the state of Bahrain with its own controversies. Or the middle eastern bank that is supposed to have funding links to Islamic fundamentalist organisations intent on the spread of Wahhabism and possibly funding of terrorist organisations (allegedly of course). Also plenty of financial institutions with their ‘tax efficient’ consultation services or investment products. So in good company them.

AlexSimon

Ha wobbliscott – What a time to be alive!

mt
    Free Member

Now I’m not a fan of Ineos or the owner but I do appreciate the company is one of the UK’s largest tax payers. I suspect that the SKY sponsorship is lose change to what they spend on Ben Anslie’s racing yacht.
    Cycling needs big sponsors, if they start to then that has a knock on effect all the way to the lowest paid rider of the lowest funded team. After all its not able to command footy scale levels of sponsor or criminal (also see F1).

crazy-legs

New Team Sky sponsor announced.

That’s not what it says, it says “set to be announced”.
    Team Sky’s official position and statement remains which is that talks are ongoing with a number of interested parties and they will not be giving a running commentary on progress.

BBC with nothing more than speculation.

brakes
    Free Member

perhaps they’ve leaked the info in order to test the water?

convert

Team Sky’s official position and statement remains which is that talks are ongoing with a number of interested parties and they will not be giving a running commentary on progress.

It might be but those in the know say it has been a done deal for a while.

AlexSimon

Direct Energie team to be rebranded as as Total, the French oil co, so some big players coming out.

BBC with nothing more than speculation.

I think it was The Times that broke the story. But now it’s firming up.

finbar
    Free Member

Yeah well they’re no more controversial than the other chemical, plastics and petrochemical companies that sponsors some of the other teams…or the state of the UAE which sponsors one, or the state of Bahrain with its own controversies. Or the middle eastern bank that is supposed to have funding links to Islamic fundamentalist organisations intent on the spread of Wahhabism and possibly funding of terrorist organisations (allegedly of course). Also plenty of financial institutions with their ‘tax efficient’ consultation services or investment products. So in good company them.

Quite. Bring back the Linda McCartney veggie sausages racing team 😀

mrhoppy

Clashes with the Ocean rescue jerseys a bit. Maybe have it being harpooned.

mt
    Free Member

Linda McCartney food, is that still available? Remember the sausages were ok for meatless (bit like Walls sausages).

crazy-legs

Those in the know have been told to keep their mouths shut!

BadlyWiredDog

Meanwhile, in Ambridge, I heard that Emma is definitely going to have an affair. nudge, wink, in the know etc

BadlyWiredDog

Those in the know have been told to keep their mouths shut!

Carlton Kirby? If only…

bigjim

dirty money for a dirty sport? /ducks

MSP

Now I’m not a fan of Ineos or the owner but I do appreciate the company is one of the UK’s largest tax payers.

WAS, the brexit promoting arsehole who runs it, is moving his company to tax exile rather than face the consequences of his handiwork.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/17/brexiter-jim-ratcliffe-uk-richest-man-plans-save-4bn-pounds-tax-monaco-move

Mind you Froome was happy to take British money to support and train him, to make him what he is, then move to Monaco when sucsess came and it was time for him to pay his dues.

mt
    Free Member

@MSP Even when he moves to the the tax haven for the terminally greedy, Ineos will still be a massive UK tax payer. I agree its not enough but hey I don’t make the rules.

Its about time Macron invaded Monaco and made part of France, that would learn em.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Clashes with the Ocean rescue jerseys a bit. Maybe have it being harpooned.

On an ecological cal front that’s quite funny. ^^

mattsccm
    Free Member

Shame really. Sky have just managed to come up with a nearly decent team kit.

Why do people have to be so rude and personal? I assume that those having a go at the head honcho are perfectly happy with others being nasty about them. Funnily enough some people are happy with us leaving the EU. Personal opinions don’t warrant disgusting abuse.

forked
    Free Member

If your a size XXL and need a cycling jersey, keep an eye on ebay. There will be lots of Team Sky ones for sale soon! LOL

“Used once, I realised cycling was not for me and went back to playing golf” LOL

BadlyWiredDog

If your a size XXL and need a cycling jersey, keep an eye on ebay.

Stealth advert. Mods alerted.

ransos
    Free Member

I assume that those having a go at the head honcho are perfectly happy with others being nasty about them.

It’s not nasty to point out that he’s a brexiteer who avoids paying his country’s taxes.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Mind you Froome was happy to take British money to support and train him, to make him what he is, then move to Monaco when sucsess came and it was time for him to pay his dues.

Agreed, but same could be said for gee as well tbf.

Why do people have to be so rude and personal? I assume that those having a go at the head honcho are perfectly happy with others being nasty about them. Funnily enough some people are happy with us leaving the EU. Personal opinions don’t warrant disgusting abuse.

Maybe it’s because it’s been proven hes a greedy ahole, who despite being worth 21 billion is trying to avoid paying his share of tax. The man has more money than he will ever need, it’s pure greed, nothing less. And throw in the fact he has done that after campaigning for brexit makes him an even bigger dickhead.

I always struggled to balance supporting a UK team like sky with the fact that they were owned by Murdoch. My contempt for this chap makes my ongoing support even less likely.

stevious

It is very cool and healthy for the sport that most of the top-flight teams rely on rich guys with bad ethics.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Sorry mt but unless it’s a very recent change, the fiscal HQ of Ineos is in Belgium as they have lower corporation tax rates than the UK. The company I worked for was both a customer (for polymer granules) and supplier (of the bags it was packed in) to Ineos and I distinctly remember having to send invoices to Belgium despite dealing with their Grangemouth operation.

mashr

brakes

perhaps they’ve leaked the info in order to test the water?

Contaminated, from all the fracking innit

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Now I know it’s a passionate debate….

Work out your residence status
    Whether you’re UK resident usually depends on how many days you spend in the UK in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year).

You’re automatically resident if either:

you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax year
    your only home was in the UK – you must have owned, rented or lived in it for at least 91 days in total – and you spent at least 30 days there in the tax year
    You’re automatically non-resident if either:

you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you haven’t been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years)
    you work abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working

With a race calendar that has already started and runs through into Sept/Oct most of the top guys will struggle to make that much time in the UK, heaps of pro’s are based down that neck of the woods as it gets you mountains and much better weather through the off/low season and in reality you get to pick one country to pay tax in, for some it would probably be harder to pay it in the UK.

I’m sure it’s not a question many on STW have had to consider but if your job was all over the world and you could pick your base where would it be?

timbog160

Yorkshire of course 😁 hth!

MSP

I’m sure it’s not a question many on STW have had to consider but if your job was all over the world and you could pick your base where would it be?

Monaco isn’t even a nice place, it is a concrete scar on the med. It is inhabited by the worlds richest aholes for one reason, because of tax avoidance. My personal moral compass would guide me somewhere I wasn’t **** over everyone else, I am surprised hero worship is affecting the needle on yours.

Klunk
    Free Member

Monaco is a soulless lifeless chintzy dump, Id rather live in Torremolinos

convert

I can confirm Monaco is a gilded cage stuffed to brim with with arseholes.

If you had the money to get out and away from it you’d gladly pay out…..oh.

BadlyWiredDog

‘I’m sure our couple will love my third property, a bijoux oil refinery with infinity pool in one of the most prestigious suburbs of Torremolinos. There’s a vibrant local night life, plenty of cafes and a buoyant ex-pat community of professional road cyclists… But will they prefer it to the Monaco chemical plant with its artisan sheep herd and open fire?’

poly
    Free Member

Sponsored by a chemicals giant!

See all those ultra lightweight carbon bikes and equipment?
    See all that stretchy tight clothing?
    See the black bits that sit between the road and the wheel and foster many debates here?
    What do you think they are made from?

Given the size of the team entourage that flies around the world and then drives a fleet of trucks, cars and busses around after the bikes there seems something poetic about them being sponsored by an Oil Refining business. Did you think cycling was eco friendly?

crazy-legs

Did you think cycling was eco friendly?

Cycling as a means of transport. Very.
    Cycling as a sport. It’s up there with F1 for the amount of greenhouse gas emissions, plastic pollution and carbon wastage.

Digger90
    Free Member

Well, like many I’m conflicted about Ineos becoming the new sponsor:

Cycling needs solid, stable sponsors and its great to see the team staying British (well, sort of British at least).

However, I’m pretty downbeat about Ineos, their businesses, their interests in fracking, their political lobbying, and Jim Ratcliffe’s incongruence/hypocrisy strongly lobbying for Brexit then moving to Monaco to avoid paying UK taxes.

I’m trying to see the good in Ineos becoming the new sponsor, but WTF?

brakes
    Free Member

I’m trying to see the good in Ineos becoming the new sponsor

I’m not really bothered who sponsors the team. Do people get this het up about football team sponsors?

nickjb
    Free Member

Do people get this het up about football team sponsors?

Probably not, but you still get to support “Arsenal” or “Spurs” or whoever. In fact I’ll bet most fans can’t even name many of the football team sponsors. Whereas in cycling you’ll support “Team Sky” and now “Team Ineos”

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m trying to see the good in Ineos becoming the new sponsor

They aren’t Sky

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Team Ineos’ is closed to new replies.