Team GB dominant in madrid this weekend

Home Forum Bike Forum Team GB dominant in madrid this weekend

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Team GB dominant in madrid this weekend
  • steve_b77

Was also good to see a near complete lack of aero bikes, helmets & Tri-bars.

Sancho

yeah, the road section was like a proper road race, was brilliant

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Pro tris have been like that for a few years now? Made it boring IMO, go back to non drafting.

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Agreed, more interesting to see a strong runner chasing down (or trying to) a strong cyclist who made a decent break on the bike leg. Now the race doesn’t start for earnest until the third discipline.

Edric 64

Proper aero bikes and no drafting is much better.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Agreed, more interesting to see a strong runner chasing down (or trying to) a strong cyclist who made a decent break on the bike leg.

so people who are strong cyclists AND runners should be ineligible? I thought it was a great race!

IanMunro

Proper aero bikes and no drafting is much better.

I can see it making sense if a true time trial scenario when all the competitors go off at separate times. But when you’ve got a mass start of similarly matched athletes it just seems a silly contrivance to me.

Edric 64

I find the time trial element more interesting and with triathletes legendary bike handling skills (remember the Olympics)it makes sense to keep them apart

Sancho

what is interesting about watching a bunch of time triallers whizzing up and down a section of road on tri bars and in aero helmets, this was a proper road race in between a flat out swim and a hell of a run.
    As jonny was saying after when you have different groups racing what comes in to play is national allegiances vs individuals trying to bridge gaps, or make breaks, and you then get a really good road race section, you can keep a bunch of aero boys keeping up a tempo in my opinion this was a very interesting race and a great race to watch.

Sancho

it was fantastic to watch a British domination of the ITU world Triathlon Championships this weekend.

Non Stamford won the womens and Jonathan Brownlee won the mens, was great to cheer them on the (pretty much) lone voice in a very partisan Spanish crowd.
    ITU world Championships

Edric 64

Just seems a shame that you can work hard in the swim to have some lazy git sit on your back wheel on the bike and do no work for an hour and be fresher for run

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

so people who are strong cyclists AND runners should be ineligible? I thought it was a great race!

That’s not what happens though – because it’s just a bunch race they sit in, avoiding the additional energy expenditure of a break to snatch 30 seconds, then they race the run.

But when you’ve got a mass start of similarly matched athletes it just seems a silly contrivance to me.

How so? There are gaps after the swim, a TT reflects the athlete’s fitness, a drafting race is about their race craft.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Just seems a shame that you can work hard in the swim to have some lazy git sit on your back wheel on the bike and do no work for an hour and be fresher for run

That’s not what happens though – because it’s just a bunch race they sit in, avoiding the additional energy expenditure of a break to snatch 30 seconds, then they race the run.

did you actually watch it? Think I must’ve had it on a different channel if that’s what you saw.

Sancho

as it appears to me if you are strong in the swim then you should be able to get in a breakaway group like today that if they work together can then have an advantage come the run, but it is more interesting in my opinion as it now is more of a race rather than a series of time trials.

steve_b77

Like that big Russian bloke, great swim, in the 5 man bike breakaway and held on in the run for 3rd.

On another note, the comment about having to be Mo Farra to catch Brownlee in the run just a makes you realise how good an all round athlete he actually is.

Decent swim, ride at 50kph and then rattle off 10k in a time that’s almost good enough for a world track final, bloody awsum

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Like that big Russian bloke, great swim, in the 5 man bike breakaway and held on in the run for 3rd

I suspect he could have a few wins under his belt in non drafting races.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Team GB dominant in madrid this weekend’ is closed to new replies.