Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Teach me the ways of XC
  • Rickos
    Free Member

So, mind is wandering to N+1, as you do. For the first time in donkeys I’m down to one bike – enduro gnarpoon, some might say. But sometimes lately I don’t want to go stupid fast down a trail, i just fancy a pootle and some fun messing about and having an easier time getting back to the top. Looking for the ying to the enduro bike’s yang. Not sure I can do hardtail anymore (sold my last one in April) so looking at bikes that are more on the XC side of trail.

Wishlist – light (important!), not LLS more XC, lots of choice second hand, 100mm to 120mm rear travel, 27.5 or 29, fun, just good for razzing about with my pre-teen boys and climbing back to the top.

Seems a good option is a Giant Anthem, particularly the 2017/18 model with 27.5 wheels. I’m fine with 29 too, so what else is out there for a budget of £1,200, preferably less than £1,000. Am I missing any gems?

richmtb

Whyte T-129.

There will be lots about.

Great bikes only really vice is rear tyre clearance is really tight.

Yak

I demoed the alu 29er anthem and thought it was great. One of those should come in under budget.

kayak23

The funnest bikes aren’t the most appropriate for the conditions. Therefore, a fatbike is what you need.

I love mine for xc. Makes the edges of ploughed fields come alive!

No slouch either.

Rickos
    Free Member

kayak – some truth in that for sure, although fat bike wouldn’t be very easy back up the fire road climbs.

Forgot to say, I had a T129 recently (also sold in April) and although it’s a great bike, it’s not what I’m after here I don’t think. Can we go lighter and more XC?

jimdubleyou

<stealth_ad> I’m going to be selling my Canyon Nerve 29er soon<\stealth_ad>

DT78
    Free Member

whatever spark fits your budget. They are silly fast. Anthems are good to, I had one before a spark, older model sure the news ones are just as good as a spark. Hard to go wrong with either of those

molgrips
    Free Member

But sometimes lately I don’t want to go stupid fast down a trail

You can go stupid fast on an XC bike too you know. Just as long as it’s not really rocky.

Garry_Lager

29er for the anthem. 27.5 a confused offering – mixed messages.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Light carbon bike, lycra, bottle, pedal as hard as you dare to stay just below the red zone.

OwenP

Scott Spark, Kona HeiHei…

ac282

I’ve had both 27.5 and 29er anthems. I don’t doubt that the 29er is faster but I think the 27.5 was more fun/playful.

For what you’re describing I’d be tempted by a 27.5 anthem.

Rickos
    Free Member

Nerve and Spark – good shouts. Hei Hei would be nice, but are they renowned to be light? And I bet not many were sold, so difficult to come by second hand. Will check it out though, so thanks.

I’m thinking of 27.5 mainly on the playful aspect, fun at lower speeds and all that. The ying to the enduro bike’s yang, see.

footflaps

You have to shave your legs to ride a Spark and camelbaks are banned…..

lunge

You have to shave your legs to ride a Spark and camelbaks are banned

You say that like it’s a bad thing…

munrobiker
    Free Member

It might be worth trying to track down an old Epic Evo, that’d fit the brief nicely. Otherwise, Anthems and Scott Sparks are truly excellent.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

. But sometimes lately I don’t want to go stupid fast down a trail

Surely that IS the very embodiment of XC?

rickon
    Free Member

Spark, Oiz, Epic, Blur, Anthem, Scalpel, Lux.

Pick a colour you like.

tomtomthepipersson

An old Whyte M109? Awful rear tyre clearance and an unfashionably steep head angle – but goddam they’re quick and nimble. Makes my Jeffsy feel like an oil tanker.

I imagine they’re pretty cheap now.

schmiken

I’ve got a carbon Scott Spark for sale – large and 27.5. If interested do drop me a PM.

four
    Free Member

For me the Spark has been the best bike I’ve had for XC.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Last generation Hei Hei was fairly light, in the region of 1950g for the carbon and 2700g for the aluminium if I remember correctly. Still some good deals around for these. No idea about weight for the new one but looks more trail oriented so possibly heavier.

Probably going to come down to what you can actually get hold of at the moment.

sani2c
    Free Member

Stealth – way under budget Yeti ASR -L

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ve had both 27.5 and 29er anthems. I don’t doubt that the 29er is faster but I think the 27.5 was more fun/playful.

This is true.

Worth having a search for 27.5 29 anthem discussion on the forum as it has been done to death. TLDR is that they are nothing like each other to ride. My 29er is seriously fast on easy terrain ( measured average of 17.1 mph) over 32km ( on road) but is shit on gnarr. My son’s 27.5 is the dogs bollock on gnarr and is an awesome Alps bike for little people.

Where you based? You can try my Anthem 29 large if you want Manchester ( though currently in the lakes)

singletrackmind

Salsa spearfish or if you can find one a Pivot Mach 429c
    Although the Scalpel i demod a few years ago was the fastest bike i have ever used

devash
    Free Member

The 2017/18 27.5 Anthem is more of a short travel trail bike. I own one, running a 130mm fork. Great bike for general riding and mucking about which sounds exactly what you want. The geo is essentially that of a dialled trail bike from a couple of years ago before everything went too long/ low/ super slack enduro with barge-like wheelbase lengths.

brads
    Free Member

What hardtail 29’r would folk go for, and as a twist, what steel hardtail 29’r for XC ?

Super calibre looks a weapon as well,

bigdaddy

I have a bright pink Spesh Epic, which I love – it skips upwards, but is also great fun on the downs. Say it quietly but definitely as much fun as my big trail bike!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Sherpa or Solaris for 29er XC – maybe the latest Solaris might be a bit full on but my trusty old mk1 Sherpa with 100mm forks and XC tyres is great fun.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Teach me the ways of XC’ is closed to new replies.